• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

EL 8.5X42 Non HD (1 Viewer)

Hi James

I still don't get it, they were listed in a buy it now for $1300-best offer format, I threw out what I thought was a crazy number and it was accepted. They were made in 2010, have perfect lenses, and a clean serial #. The focus knob action is a little grabby and gritty, but not nearly as much as I have felt with some other used SVs. I'll never get this lucky again.

Great buy Robert, Congrats! :t:

It's similar deals like yours that allowed me to purchase 2-ELs, 2-Habicht Porros, 1-SLC, 1-CL and Gold Ring optics (the future still looks BRIGHT)! You just have to be patient and be looking for em in all the right places! :king:

Ted

Hi James
They were made in 2010, have perfect lenses, and a clean serial #. The focus knob action is a little grabby and gritty, but not nearly as much as I have felt with some other used SVs. I'll never get this lucky again.

SD .... If the focus is an issue, Swaro NOA should be able to improve it under warranty. They made a noticeable improvement on a 12X50 owned by my brother.

Now that you have two 8.5X SV EL models, I was wondering how they compared, especially in regard to rolling ball. However I realize you may not be the best to judge on the rolling ball since I recall you do not notice it.

There have been previous posts speculating that Swaro made unannounced production changes to the 8.5X formula to reduce the rolling ball tendency. Since you do not see rolling ball, maybe a better question to ask is if you see any difference in pin cushion between the two?

If my memory is correct, 2010 is the intro year of the SV so your new acquisition should be early production. As I recall, you other unit is a very current 2015 model.

I recently looked through a 8.5X and the rolling ball was very noticeable to me. Then I got the idea to look at the serial number and this store demo was from 2011! I need to check out a ProField model then I will know it is a much newer unit.

What is interesting is that I found rolling ball to be very noticeable in the early 8.5X but do not see it at all in the 10X42 or the 12X50 and just see the beginnings of it in the 10X50.

It would also be interesting to know if you see any differences in CA, the color balance or the colors of the coatings.

Thanks.

Hi James

I still don't get it, they were listed in a buy it now for $1300-best offer format, I threw out what I thought was a crazy number and it was accepted. They were made in 2010, have perfect lenses, and a clean serial #. The focus knob action is a little grabby and gritty, but not nearly as much as I have felt with some other used SVs. I'll never get this lucky again.

very nice. I just paid more than that for a set of the 34008s, because I did not want the field flatteners.

they've been to sona recently and have new armor and immaculate glass.

unfortunately, they don't focus past about 500 feet out and the seller seems to be hoping he can convince me they do or that that is the factory spec.

I'll give sona a call Monday, be transparent about my not being the first owner, and see what they'd like to do.

I'm thinking I may just blind order maven b2 with a custom over focus and call it a day, though. apparently the 34008 focuser does this occasionally. I saw a post from a Spanish use with this issue and others from a bit back.

Hi Bruce

I'll put them side by side on a good day and let you know what I see.

SD .... If the focus is an issue, Swaro NOA should be able to improve it under warranty. They made a noticeable improvement on a 12X50 owned by my brother.

Now that you have two 8.5X SV EL models, I was wondering how they compared, especially in regard to rolling ball. However I realize you may not be the best to judge on the rolling ball since I recall you do not notice it.

There have been previous posts speculating that Swaro made unannounced production changes to the 8.5X formula to reduce the rolling ball tendency. Since you do not see rolling ball, maybe a better question to ask is if you see any difference in pin cushion between the two?

If my memory is correct, 2010 is the intro year of the SV so your new acquisition should be early production. As I recall, you other unit is a very current 2015 model.

I recently looked through a 8.5X and the rolling ball was very noticeable to me. Then I got the idea to look at the serial number and this store demo was from 2011! I need to check out a ProField model then I will know it is a much newer unit.

What is interesting is that I found rolling ball to be very noticeable in the early 8.5X but do not see it at all in the 10X42 or the 12X50 and just see the beginnings of it in the 10X50.

It would also be interesting to know if you see any differences in CA, the color balance or the colors of the coatings.

Thanks.

Hopefully they will take care of it for you.

very nice. I just paid more than that for a set of the 34008s, because I did not want the field flatteners.

they've been to sona recently and have new armor and immaculate glass.

unfortunately, they don't focus past about 500 feet out and the seller seems to be hoping he can convince me they do or that that is the factory spec.

I'll give sona a call Monday, be transparent about my not being the first owner, and see what they'd like to do.

I'm thinking I may just blind order maven b2 with a custom over focus and call it a day, though. apparently the 34008 focuser does this occasionally. I saw a post from a Spanish use with this issue and others from a bit back.

They will need two months to get them back to me.

Sight unseen, they are not able to commit to fixing the issue under warranty. I find the latter very reasonable, since I am not the first owner of these.

I suspect it is something they will address under warranty, since the glass is so far out of spec, but I am in no position to squawk if they look them over and say "we can address this, but will bill for it."

I learned over the weekend that the prior owner is someone who uses these primarily at a target range. So he's not someone who would have been impacted by the issue; his use case is not one where focusing several miles out is important. If he can slam them into focus at 200 yards it is good enough for him.

If you can contact the party they are currently registered to and have that person contact Swarovski and unregister them, it leaves the door open for you to register them in your name giving you the full warranty. I don't know how many people know that, but that is exactly how it works here in America anyway.

They will need two months to get them back to me.

Sight unseen, they are not able to commit to fixing the issue under warranty. I find the latter very reasonable, since I am not the first owner of these.

I suspect it is something they will address under warranty, since the glass is so far out of spec, but I am in no position to squawk if they look them over and say "we can address this, but will bill for it."

I learned over the weekend that the prior owner is someone who uses these primarily at a target range. So he's not someone who would have been impacted by the issue; his use case is not one where focusing several miles out is important. If he can slam them into focus at 200 yards it is good enough for him.

If you can contact the party they are currently registered to and have that person contact Swarovski and unregister them, it leaves the door open for you to register them in your name giving you the full warranty. I don't know how many people know that, but that is exactly how it works here in America anyway.

SD:

In the US, Swarovski does cover pre owned optics, with a solid warranty.

You don't need to worry about registration as you mentioned.

They are not alone in that respect. There are other companies that do
the very same.

Jerry

Your first sentence is correct, the second sentence is incorrect. They cover pre owned optics with a solid warranty as long as the person they are registered to unregisters them and the new owner puts them in his name. If you don't believe me call Swarovski and check. If you buy a used pair without finding out exactly who they are registered to and they turn out to be stolen, you're screwed and your money's gone. Do as you please, but I would NEVER buy a used pair with out a clean serial #, just simply call Swarovski and have them run the number.

SD:

In the US, Swarovski does cover pre owned optics, with a solid warranty.

You don't need to worry about registration as you mentioned.

They are not alone in that respect. There are other companies that do
the very same.

Jerry

Last edited:
Your first sentence is correct, the second sentence is incorrect. They cover pre owned optics with a solid warranty as long as the person they are registered to unregisters them and the new owner puts them in his name. If you don't believe me call Swarovski and check. If you buy a used pair without finding out exactly who they are registered to and they turn out to be stolen, you're screwed and your money's gone. Do as you please, but I would NEVER buy a used pair with out a clean serial #, just simply call Swarovski and have them run the number.

I hope you are right. I don't believe Swaro will service a bin that isn't "clean". If I see a pair of SV, new or otherwise on any auction site for a very low price, I will try to get the serial# and check with Swaro first. I wouldn't want to buy one if I even get an inkling that it could have been stolen.

You're doing it the right way.

I hope you are right. I don't believe Swaro will service a bin that isn't "clean". If I see a pair of SV, new or otherwise on any auction site for a very low price, I will try to get the serial# and check with Swaro first. I wouldn't want to buy one if I even get an inkling that it could have been stolen.

That's odd. I sent mine in to SONA and they cleaned it and everything free of charge and without question - I was the second owner and never bothered with any of that.

jremmons .... Do you know if the original owner had previously registered them with SONA? If they were not previously registered, SONA may have considered you the first registered owner.

Maybe if you don't tell, they don't ask, but I will guarantee that if you ask, they will tell you EXACTLY what I have stated. Everyone can obviously do what seems right to them, I won't buy a pair I can't register.

Maybe if you don't tell, they don't ask, but I will guarantee that if you ask, they will tell you EXACTLY what I have stated. Everyone can obviously do what seems right to them, I won't buy a pair I can't register.

I would think that many new owners never register their bins. I haven't ever and I know that it isn't a factor in warranty claims - in my [and others] experience.

If you're the original buyer there is no issue because you know they aren't stolen, and you have an invoice proving the SN on your binocular matches the SN of the binocular sold to you buy the authorized dealer in the database. Buying used is a different story, as I said before do as you please, it's no sweat off my back.

I would think that many new owners never register their bins. I haven't ever and I know that it isn't a factor in warranty claims - in my [and others] experience.

You are incorrect in your assumption. Swarovski seems to warranty binoculars both new and unregistered by the original owner or preowned.
I have experience with both kinds that I have sent to them.

You are correct in the part about stolen, I recently spoke to a Swaro. rep.
about a pair of used binoculars that I was thinking about buying, he told
me the original retailer, and if they were on a list of stolen optics.

I am not sure what happens if you send them one that is reported stolen.
That would be interesting. ;)

Add: Another reason to check with any Mfr. is to find out if the optic is covered under wty.
in the country you live in. Gray market, or others may be more costly and difficult for service.

Jerry

Last edited:
I assume nothing about obtaining service on unregistered Swarovski product. I have no experience with that scenario, nor do I intend to gain any. What I have stated is exactly what you will be told if you ask a representative to explain the proper way to go about buying a used Swarovski product.

You are incorrect in your assumption. Swarovski seems to warranty binoculars both new and unregistered by the original owner or preowned.
I have experience with both kinds that I have sent to them.

You are correct in the part about stolen, I recently spoke to a Swaro. rep.
about a pair of used binoculars that I was thinking about buying, he told
me the original retailer, and if they were on a list of stolen optics.

I am not sure what happens if you send them one that is reported stolen.
That would be interesting. ;)

Add: Another reason to check with any Mfr. is to find out if the optic is covered under wty.
in the country you live in. Gray market, or others may be more costly and difficult for service.

Jerry

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back