• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski Habicht 8x30 W. (1 Viewer)

Matt,

My previous 2014 Habicht 8x30W had two bright yellow circles and one diffused red circle in an objective pic I took...it came from the flash and the overhead lighting (kind of like your pic)!! Depending on the ambient lighting conditions, I would see different colored hues reflected back. With very little to no direct lighting, the objectives were perfectly clear and void of any color reflections. I really believe you are good to go, ready for a lifetime of glassing enjoyment! :t:

Ted

In my model made just a week ago (March 2016). There was clearly purple and green consistently whatever is the light source. Here's the difference. When I looked at the reflection of bulb in the green, the size is the same whether I looked closer to the lens or farther away. While in the purple layer, the bulb gets bigger (and blurrer) as I got closer to the lens and it turned to normal size as I distant myself. So is the purple coating on top of the lens (outside) or on the inside lens.. how to tell.. Also is the objective lens of the Habicht a doublet? Next week I'd no longer participate here as I got what I wanted. But just wanted to know this to be aware if the colour rendition is neutral, warm, cool and what possible tint it would show.

Matthew,
The green same size reflection seems to be from the front prism surface.
The changing size from spherical lens surfaces.

Dear, oh, dear people. While it's possible it's not the same creature, I'll point out that it seems to have wandered out from under a bridge quite recently, it is obsessed with transmission spectra and suchlike in a rather odd way, it is far more concerned with how things work in theory rather than practice (actually looking through a binocular seems anathema) and it has a great deal of concern about Habichts, in particular.

Stop feeding it.

...Mike

Thanks Mike,
I hope not.
If so, we should have learned our lesson.

P.S.
I wonder if Newgate is still open.
I would prefer Holloway.

Last edited:
Thanks. But I was not asking why there were colors in the reflections and what they meant (although this is secondary). I simply wanted to know for now if my model is the same to the 2011 onwards where Swarovski did the latest Swarotop update. So to all who own the Habicht 8x30W. Please take a look at the objective lens now and see if you can see violet (or purple) coating in addition to the green or whether you only see deep green. That is all. After this. I will just use it for a lifetime. I'd not get any bulky Zeiss SF or Swaro Field Pro EL anymore. And because I'd no longer need any new binocular. I'd no longer read this forum next week (which can consume a lot of time as I spent 4 hours reading the Sightron thread and others).

Deleting my earlier message. :C

Ed

Last edited:
Dear, oh, dear people. While it's possible it's not the same creature, I'll point out that it seems to have wandered out from under a bridge quite recently, it is obsessed with transmission spectra and suchlike in a rather odd way, it is far more concerned with how things work in theory rather than practice (actually looking through a binocular seems anathema) and it has a great deal of concern about Habichts, in particular.

Stop feeding it.

...Mike

Hi Mike,

Agree with your commentary, indeed!!!!

PHA

What's the matter with some folks here. I haven't tested it in the field much yet because I just received it. Although I have already seen through one like it before and can confirm how stunning the view is. But I recalled the 2012 model I tried has mostly green coating in the objective lens.. the one I have now have very strong purple coating so I wonder what are the changes. Last information I read here was the Habicht has latest coatings from 2011 onwards so expecting it to be mostly green coating (if this is the other samples indeed showed although I may be wrong)

About it in comparison with other binoculars. You know how good it is being Tobias reference binocular. But I don't want to emphasize it to put down other lesser cost binoculars. This is because people have certain budget. Some may not afford a Habicht and only afford a Sightron. It is not in best interest to bash other's binos. Owning binoculars is not about bragging rights. But about viewing at a budget. Studying and knowing the limitations would make one appreciate any equipment better. For example. I know the Habicht has the worse veiling glare of all, something the Zeiss SF has handled almost perfectly. So understanding why would make one appreciate and accept any equipment better. That is all.

Enough of theories. I'd just be enjoying the views from now on. Many thanks to all of you. I couldn't have gotten this model without this excellent forum. Let's not be too personal. By the way, to that person who messaged me what kind of strap was included in the 2016 model. It is similar to what Dennis got at ebay. See bottom of:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Swarovski-H...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

To conclude the above.
Well. I hate to spread disinformation. In the thumbnail you can see the image of another house reflected in the objective lens.. notice the green reflection has the correct orientation.. but the purple reflection is upside down (and its size is changing getting bigger as you get closer to the lens)! If I move the binocular to the left, the purple view would enclose the whole objective lens.. so I'm sure if it is in the objective lens or prism (where is the spherical lens surfaces located?)) as Binastro theorized. But if it is in the prism or the spherical lens surfaces behind the prism, how come the image is in the objective lens even if the prism is not directly viewed? I'm very ignorant of all this. Hence all my questions. If you have answers and would like to share it in private. I'd keep the exchange completely secret. I'd also ask this in other forums. I shared the picture here so you can find it out yourself because the objective lens may really be just green as the previous 2011 year onward batch show.. and the purple may just be from the prism (how)? Thanks for sharing. I really love my Habicht because it has sparkles in the images.. i think it's because all white are accurately reproduced and Tobias said it can transfer contrast down to the resolution limit. Being a porro and 3D that none of the alpha roofs can duplicate. I think it is my ultimate binocular that will last me thru decades. I'll start to view the birds this weekend. Happy day.

Attachments

• green_violet.jpg
    green_violet.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 122
I think I know now the reasons for the image above. I have a monocular. I took off the objective lens from the body and hold the lens itself and look at the reflections of the house. It has the same right side up images and upside down images of the house. I guess the reflections with correct orientation is the front part of the lens. The upside down reflection is coating from the back of the lens. So it is not related to the prism. Now I really forgot if the Habicht 2012 model I viewed before also had the purple reflections. Maybe there was and I just didn't notice (only those who own them can share).

Well that's it. It will be all viewing now from now on with my only binoculars and I'd no longer participate here since I won't look for new binoculars anymore. I noticed Birdforums is unique in that people seemed to become friends. In other forums.. they were purely technical discussions only. Here people seemed to know one another. As a result. Sometimes you tell what you do in life like I read in archives. So I just shared what I did. I know it was wrong to say it. I know I shouldn't have mentioned it. Hope some can understand. Thank you.

You can still come back here and tell us how and where and when you are using your binocular and how it performs.

Bob

Unfortunately a creature seems to exist with at least 4 different names and in different, mostly and maybe all, fictitious locations around the globe and on this forum.
The timing of the posts also supports this.

Very deceitful indeed and very bad play.

As you have Jedi skills and abilities, it should be child's play to find the droids your looking for. Barring that, why not just force-slam the bino. into a wall and be done with it?

I need to explain fully so moderators of birdforum please allow me to speak one last time in this final message.
The reasons for the 4 different locations was because Birdforums banned most major IP addresses in the Philippines which is PLDT, Smart Internet so all users of it can't even access and read any forums here. So I had to use a VPN software to get IP addresses elsewhere. I tried the United States via Hotspot Shield but the Moderators also banned the IP there, then I tried United Kingdom and know will be banned anytime today (but I promise not to come back anymore so let them be more lenient this one final time).

When I first joined this forum. I saw how friendly people were, they shared stuff like PHA sharing how the wife of his son will be start Master Degree in Engineering after arriving at Adelaide. At that time I was frustrated because I'm the only serious paranormal researcher in the country having studied the physics of it for over 10 years. And thought would get some feedback perhaps some idea from people who may be aware of it (because the US physicist William Tiller who studied them mentioned about some hidden light with negative index of refraction). So I'm familiarizing with binoculars to get handle of it. Of course it was a big mistake talking about it initially. I shouldn't have mentioned it. And I regret it (and asking for your understanding and forgiveness). I thought it was very common like CNN reporting about apparitions:

http://edition.cnn.com/2011/09/23/living/crisis-apparitions/

For me in the Philippines. It is a basic everyday thing and as objective as a Leica Ultravid having literally interact with the world most powerful paranormals (I have seen things US researchers can only dream about. It is also critical as it can be the guiding principle in the physicists search for the unifications and theory of everything)

I live in Manila. The only place I can see birds are in the zoos. We have many birds though but they were located in jungles and only mostly foreigners came to view them but some were kipnapped by Muslim extremists. Like the following Swiss birdwatcher kipnapped here:

http://www.thelocal.ch/20120201/2447

I'm really very sorry for all this. I'd no longer open new birdforum nick and new VPN IP locations and post hidden because my quest to understand and experience binoculars has already occured. For the sake of other filipino bird enthusiasts. I just hope Birdforums moderators won't banned the entire IP domain in the Philippines because of me. I know many of your may not want to understand me and thought it didn't justify what I did. But I'm really sorry. Also in spite of all this. I tried to stay objective because one thing very important in scientific research is to be very objective and not be biased personally by anything because it's one way to derive at the truth. Thank you to those who have assist me. I couldn't have gotten the black Habicht if not for the assistant of someone in whom I have let him tested certain aspects the whole afternoon. The black Habicht is much better than than military Habicht for me because the black one is lighter, has way faster focus (the individual focus green Habicht is so difficult to use for challenging lighting conditions like dark scene) and the reticle is so annoying to have and the contrast and sparkles in the military habicht is also there in the black habicht so i'm happy to get the latter especially when it can focus beyond -10 diopter (a pleasant surprise). I initially wanted to use the military Habicht because it can focus beyond -10 diopter too but just 3 days before return to Binostore expired, I shipped it back after that sometone convinced me the views of them is similar.

Thank you all. Farewell. I'll also leave Cloudy nights and move on. Last facts I wanted explain there is to know the connections between the different multicoatings and colour renditions (I first got aware of it from the excellent introduction by "typo") and Tobias different color casts in dozens of binos he tested. Then I'm done with the theoretical aspects of binoculars. Again sorry and thank you all. I know I'd be met with more insults from sensitive people but hope just even a little understanding.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back