• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What duck? River Mosel, near Cochem, Germany (1 Viewer)

NicoleB

Nature addict
Any ideas on this fellow?
Hybrid or am I just too blind (again) to find him in the Collins....
Taken 2 weeks ago.

Thanks & B :)
Nicole

Attachments

• mix 0282.jpg
    mix 0282.jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 212
Hi Nicole, That's an Egyptian Goose - there's an expanding population of introduced birds in nw Europe. N

Hi again, Nicole: although the present-day Egyptian Goose populations in Europe come from introductions and escapes (the Dutch population is probably the source of your Cochem bird), it was once a European breeding species up to the 17th century in Voyvodina, where it was a prized quarry species (see the species account in The EBCC Atlas of European Breeding Birds). Technically, therefore, it might better be described as a re-introduction...;)

It won't be long before the 2012 Mosel young wines are available!:t:
MJB
PS I have a weakness for Piesporter...

Hi Nicole, That's an Egyptian Goose - there's an expanding population of introduced birds in nw Europe. N

Hi again, Nicole: although the present-day Egyptian Goose populations in Europe come from introductions and escapes (the Dutch population is probably the source of your Cochem bird), it was once a European breeding species up to the 17th century in Voyvodina, where it was a prized quarry species (see the species account in The EBCC Atlas of European Breeding Birds). Technically, therefore, it might better be described as a re-introduction...;)

It won't be long before the 2012 Mosel young wines are available!:t:
MJB
PS I have a weakness for Piesporter...

LOL, thanks everyone!
I had an eye on the Egyptian fellow, but thought it couldn't be :)
I think it kind of funny that I see one in Germany, instead of Egypt :)

@MJB
Have been in the vineyards that day. It will be a little while still until the wines for 2012 are ready, hehe :)
Never tried a Piesporter... :)
Thanks for the explanation!

Hi Nicole

Nice to meet you here, and yes that is an Egyptian Goose in your photo

We have a healthy few in the UK - and I know they are at Rutland Water in the UK...one of many places to find them o:)

Regards
Kathy
x

Thanks folks! :)
(For some reason I must have managed to unsubscribe from my thread again, sigh, am getting old ;-)

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back