• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

warbler ID please (1 Viewer)

Phil Akers

Spain
I found this bird in my garden this morning on the bird bath, so its feathers are a bit fluffed up from bathing.
I was thinking Whitethroat or Spectacled warbler ??

Attachments

• IMG_4303.jpg
    IMG_4303.jpg
    177.5 KB · Views: 244
You don’t see a Sard? What do you think it is then?

(the orbital ring looks pinkish on my monitor)

My first impresion was Spectacled Warbler with that darker blue near the base of the bill and the white orbital ring (all of this through the screen of my mobile). Now, I'm looking at it in my computer and I still looking at a dirty white, at least, in the part above the eye...:-C

My first impresion was Spectacled Warbler with that darker blue near the base of the bill and the white orbital ring (all of this through the screen of my mobile). Now, I'm looking at it in my computer and I still looking at a dirty white, at least, in the part above the eye...:-C

White looks like highlight. If you look at the lower part it appears more obviously pinkish. Given the surrounding colours I think it's unlikely this is just a colour cast

White looks like highlight. If you look at the lower part it appears more obviously pinkish. Given the surrounding colours I think it's unlikely this is just a colour cast

Not that the OP seems interested in still getting an ID (or even remembers his thread!) but it could be highlight although if you check the Opus link I posted above, the orbital ring in juveniles is pinkish and the eye-ring more buff white.

Last edited:
Orbital eye-ring looks pinkish rather than whitish to my eye.

Cheers

The orbital ring and the eye ring are separate features. (The latter indeed whiter than the former)

when I am referring to the ‘orbital ring’ it is the one inside the ‘eye-ring’, ie the immediate surround of the eye. Perhaps there is some confusion of the topography here!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back