• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Waterproofing standards for scopes? (1 Viewer)

karmantra

Interested in knowing what constitutes a 'waterproof' spotting scope--I try to find info on any standards that the higher end scopes (Zeiss, Kowa, Leica, Swarovski, Nikon, Pentax,...) have on their waterproofing besides saying that they are waterproof. Is it survival in a heavy downpour, immersion in water, etc.? I have heard that Kowa does not recommend moving their focus knob in a heavy rain because that can bring water into the scope, the Zeiss is not waterproof during the time of a eyepiece transfer, that all scopes are vunerable if dropped or immersed into water. How waterproof are high-end scopes and what standards do they have to meet to earn the title of being waterproof?

I can't comment on any of the others but according to Nikon my ED50 is "waterproof (up to 1m/3.3 ft. for 5 minutes) and fog-free with nitrogen gas."

However I think they warn against using the focusing knob in the rain!

Ron

Last edited:
Both my Nikon eyepieces incorporate a rubber 'O' ring to waterproof them when they are attached to the body but I don't know whether the zoom's mechanism is waterproof. Anyone know?

Ron

Last edited:
The reference chart that I see most often mentioned is JIS Rating Scale, the standard that quality scopes often mention is the "Immersion resistant" JIS 7. I would be interested if this rating is by a independent testing agency per scope produced.
JIS Rating Scale, The Japan Industrial Standards (JIS) for water resistance uses a "0" to "8"
www.hy-com.com/jis.htm

JIS "0"
No special protection
JIS "1"
Vertically dripping water shall have no harmful effect (Drip resistant 1)
JIS "2"
Dripping water at an angle up to 15 degrees from vertical shall have no harmful effect (Drip resistant 2)
JIS "3"
Falling rain at an angle up to 60 degrees from vertical shall have no harmful effect (Rain resistant)
JIS "4"
Splashing water from any direction shall have no harmful effect (Splash resistant)
JIS "5"
Direct jetting water from any direction shall have no harmful effect (Jet resistant)
JIS "6"
Direct jetting water from any direction shall not enter the enclosure (Water tight)
JIS "7"
Water shall not enter the enclosure when it is immersed in water under defined conditions (Immersion resistant)
JIS "8"
The equipment is usable for continuous submersion in water under specified pressure (Submersible)

Greg

A quick glance at the web for 88, 85, 82, 80 and 77mm scopes the following is mentioned;
Kowa 88 JIS Class 7
Swaro 80 JIS Class 7 & 6 Listed
Carl Zeiss 85 Class 6
Leica 77 & 62 Class 7
Nikon 82 Field Class 7
Pentax 80 Class 6

A quick glance at the web for 88, 85, 82, 80 and 77mm scopes the following is mentioned;
Kowa 88 JIS Class 7
Swaro 80 JIS Class 7 & 6 Listed
Carl Zeiss 85 Class 6
Leica 77 & 62 Class 7
Nikon 82 Field Class 7
Pentax 80 Class 6

greg g: Thanks!!! for the JIS info & the breakdown of where each scope stands--the Swarov is both 6 & 7? According to the JIS chart, none of the scopes would survive immersion in water without some kind of water damage--I would think that Class 7 would be a 'minimum' standard to declare a scope as waterproof, anything below that Class 7 would be more water 'resistant'! My concern would be warranty issues on scopes that have had water penetration beyond a Class 7 situation, and if scope manufacturers would still honor that warranty on waterproofness!

greg g: Thanks!!! for the JIS info & the breakdown of where each scope stands--the Swarov is both 6 & 7? According to the JIS chart, none of the scopes would survive immersion in water without some kind of water damage--I would think that Class 7 would be a 'minimum' standard to declare a scope as waterproof, anything below that Class 7 would be more water 'resistant'! My concern would be warranty issues on scopes that have had water penetration beyond a Class 7 situation, and if scope manufacturers would still honor that warranty on waterproofness!

Are you planning on scuba diving with your scope? Are you concerned that a JIS 6 scope will leak in the Oregon rain? I seriously doubt it. I'll bet the JIS standards are very conservative, in classic Japanese fashion.

Before I had any "waterproof" field optics I'd been out plenty in the rain with old Trinovids. Never a problem.

Are you planning on scuba diving with your scope? Are you concerned that a JIS 6 scope will leak in the Oregon rain? I seriously doubt it. I'll bet the JIS standards are very conservative, in classic Japanese fashion.

Before I had any "waterproof" field optics I'd been out plenty in the rain with old Trinovids. Never a problem.

Nope, no 'intentional' scuba diving, but concerns I have deal with water getting into the scope via the focusing knob(s) or eyepiece when moved during a downpour--binos usually have an 'immersion' factor figured into their waterproofness in case they are dropped overboard from a boat during transport, fall from ones hands off a deck into the lake, etc. It's not inconceivable that such mishaps can also occur with a scope! Apparently, immersion in water (JIS 8) is unattainable presently for scopes.

For what it's worth, Swarovski bills its zoom lens as the only waterproof one in the business. This is supported by the stiffness of the zoom adjustment. They claim all their eyepieces are "watertight", and the scope body is supposed to be waterproof down to 4 meters. I can testify that rain doesn't bother it.

Never had any problems with my Zeiss 65; the dual focusing wheel is quite stiff, I tend to use the fine focuser up front mostly, maybe there's some waterproofing arrangement inside the focus wheels construction.
I've more than once used the scope in driving rain, turning the focus wheel all the time. My second Buff-breasted Sandpiper last year on a bulb field during a downpour.
A Little Crake that wouldn't show two years ago, I waited for over two hours while it rained steadily, scope ( without stay-on case! ) on tripod in the rain got soaked.
On numerous occasions while seawatching with sudden downpours, I used the focuser and the zoom all the time. Never had any problem.

The Nikon ED50 is off my shortlist as a scope to have in the future, if you're not supposed to turn the focus wheel while it's raining!

The thing I find puzzling is a stay-on case on a fully waterproof scope. I met a guy last week with a Swarovski 80 HD and he kindly allowed me to use his scope so I could clinch an ID of a distant Red-footed Falcon; the scope is won-der-ful, amazingly sharp at higher mag, but I had trouble finding the helical focus as well as turning the zoom ring due to the cumbersome stay-on case. It's like it's not a good fit, though the soc specifically is made for this scope ( in white lettering " FOR 80HD" ).
The scope is waterproof and heavily rubber armoured, why add a soc if it compromises the well functioning? To keep it as new so it can easily be sold? I can't imagine anyone wanting to sell such a perfect instrument, but that's another matter.

Anyway, the fact that Simon King is using his Zeiss 85 unprotected - as I saw on the telly - is reassuring enough for me it's waterproof.

Regards,

Ronald

yeah same like mine, been using my nikon fieldscope ED82 in rain especially for waders watching while using raincoat to covered myself. no problem at all hehehe.

but been thinking next time i'll wrap my big umbrella on the tripod leg, so when it rain, i'll use the umbrella instead of my raincoat while birding in the rainforest because it is too warm with the raincoat or poncho ...

The scope is waterproof and heavily rubber armoured, why add a soc if it compromises the well functioning? To keep it as new so it can easily be sold?
Ronald

Ronald,
I couldn't agree more. Covers won't prevent water getting to the outside of the scope, just delay the process.
I recall being in a hide with other birders using angled scopes. They couldn't use them because the eyepieces were too high and the covers prevented them from accessing the knobs to rotate the scopes through 90°.

John

I use a Cley Spy stay on cover on my Nikon ED50 to protect the plastic body from knocks, rather than to waterproof it. The strap means I can sling it over my shoulder to carry it as don't keep it attached to the tripod when I am moving about.

I have just been looking at the Care and Maintenance instructions for the scope and they say:

'As the unit does not have a perfectly sealed structure, it should not be operated nor held in running water.' – Fair enough.

'Any moisture should be wiped off before adjusting movable parts (focusing knob, eyepiece, etc.) of the Fieldscope ED50 series to prevent damage and for safety reasons.' – No so good.

Ron

Last edited:
The scope is waterproof and heavily rubber armoured, why add a soc if it compromises the well functioning?
If I remember correctly, there wasn't a SOC available at first because Swaro thought it unnecessary, and it was introduced later due to customer demand.

Ronald,
I couldn't agree more. Covers won't prevent water getting to the outside of the scope, just delay the process.
I recall being in a hide with other birders using angled scopes. They couldn't use them because the eyepieces were too high and the covers prevented them from accessing the knobs to rotate the scopes through 90°.

John

Right, John! I find myself using the rotation knob quite often, especially in hides. It's much easier to sit down and place the angled scope on tripod next to you, rotate the scope 90 degrees and view in sideways ( I don't believe this is proper English, but you get the point, I'm sure).
On other occasions the rotated scope gives just a little more height, tripod at max., to view over tall reeds etc.

Regards, Ronald

I use a Cley Spy stay on cover on my Nikon ED50 to protect the plastic body from knocks, rather than to waterproof it. The strap means I can sling it over my shoulder to carry it as don't keep it attached to the tripod when I am moving about.

Ron

Hi Ron,

Best way to protect your scope as it is a little more delicate than my clunky Zeiss. The strap on the soc though is a definite plus, I miss that dearly I must say, as it's an easy way to carry a scope. I've been thinking of strapping an end of rope around my scope, for this very purpose, but there are no good attachment points. Pity. I put it in my rucksack, vertically, eyepiece up. Made a thick foam cushioning on the bottom of my rucksack to protect the objective lens. I never use lens caps, and when I'm out in the rain I have to do a lot of wiping the ocular lens. Since I found out it's slightly concave and easy to wipe clean, I never bothered with a lense cap.

Regards, Ronald

If I remember correctly, there wasn't a SOC available at first because Swaro thought it unnecessary, and it was introduced later due to customer demand.

Andrew,
It is unnecessary, I'm sure, but if the customer demands it, well... Swarovski know how to keep their customers happy, and if fashion demands there should be a case, they'll supply one.
But it kind of reminds me of visiting people who have an expensive leather couch all wrapped up in plastic, because it might become .... worn? ....dirty? ....scratched?
To protect the lenses of a scope, I can see the point of a soc, to carry it slung over the shoulder, it's great. But to keep off the rain?
Still I admit I shortly had a neoprene soc ( well, more of a sock ) on my Diascope, giving in to the fashion and because I got very cold hands from the metal scope in wintertime. Typically, Zeiss had made a perfectly tightfitting product with NO STRAP. So I had to dump the scope in my rucksack anyway.
I got used to wearing thick gloves in winter and removed the sock, exposing the scope in its silvery nakedness to the elements. It's doing great, and I like the tinkling sound it makes when I tick my nails on the metal tube, too!

Regards, Ronald

Andrew,
It is unnecessary, I'm sure, but if the customer demands it, well... Swarovski know how to keep their customers happy, and if fashion demands there should be a case, they'll supply one.
Regards, Ronald

Hi all -

I have been busy at a birding festival and doing Swarovski Optik NA stuff, so I'm jumping into this one a little late. I think that Ronald hit it right on the head - if you all remember when Swarovski Optik introduced the "S" series of scopes with the green armoring, there was no additional case offered. Within weeks, new scope owners were asking both we here in the US and the fellows at Swarovski Austria for an additional "protective" case. It took two years to get there, and it certainly is handsome.

It evidently is a "piece of mind" purchase, especially since some owners of the older, gray scope would go slightly mad when the paint was scratched or chipped. Even though the rubber armor is VERY resistant to scratches and scuffs (my well-traveled STS and ATS 80 HDs still look brand-new), some people feel like their scope looks "naked" without some sort of case on it. If it makes them happy....

As for the waterproof-ness of the Swarovski spotting scopes, I checked with the engineers back in Austria, and they confirmed that there should be no leakage either through the focusing ring, or even if the eyepiece is removed from the scope body.

A few weeks ago I was digiscoping a White-rumped Sandpiper in the pouring rain. Ok, I was in my car, and the camera had a plastic baggie atop it to keep it relatively dry, but the water was sluicing off the scope body and focusing ring, down the window mount, and into my car. My armrest on the car door filled up with water, but the scope performed perfectly.

Clay Taylor
Swarovski Optik N.A.

Here's the sandpiper and all the raindrops, including the splashes in the puddle

Attachments

• tn_WRSP4935.jpg
    tn_WRSP4935.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 138
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back