AndrewHeath
也称为赫安哲

Date: 2014-04-30

Area: HunHe river bend, south of Shenyang University of Technology
地区:浑河河曲,从沈阳工业大学往南走

Weather: 10C, sunny

Location Sightings (0600 to 0700):
? x Mallard (Anas platyrhynchos)
? x Ring-necked Pheasant (Phasianus colchicus)
? x Eurasian Magpie (Pica pica)
? x Eurasian Tree Sparrow (Passer montanus)
5 x Gray Heron (Ardea cinerea)
5 x Eurasian Hoopoe (Upupa epops)
? x White Wagtail (Motacilla alba leucopsis)
? x Little Ringed Plover (Charadrius dubius)
1 x Common Greenshank (Tringa nebularia)
1 x Far Eastern Curlew (Numenius madagascariensis)
? x Barn Swallow (Hirundo rustica)
? x Pallas's Leaf-Warbler (Phylloscopus proregulus)
3 x Siberian Stonechat (Saxicola maurus)

Comments:
Red denotes the first sighting for that species in this location. These three new guys put me over 50 species for this spot, which is cause for celebration given how degraded the environment is on the west side of Shenyang and how infrequently I visit.

This morning I rode back down a bit earlier and sat for an hour on the edge of the sand bluff overlooking the river bend. The curlew came in about 30 minutes on and waded about down below me before deciding to take a long bath. That was quite enjoyable to witness. He called plaintively from time to time but no other curlews appeared.

The greenshank managed to snag a long minnow or perhaps an eel that he couldn't swallow. He diddled about with it on the riverbank for a good long while trying to figure out how to enjoy his prize. In the end he gave up and flew off.

The Pallas's Leaf-Warblers are certainly not new to this area, but this is the first time I've been 100% absolutely certain which warbler they are. Standing in a thicket of 3m high bush and getting your binoculars on one only 2m away definitely aids in the identification!

Missed a couple of other passerines, but that just gives you an excuse to go back again soon!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-04-30 09.48.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	350.9 KB
ID:	494172