• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2018 (1 Viewer)

I have been visiting Tossals Verds three times over the last couple weeks (number 66 on the Mallorca Birding Map) but stayed around the farm rather than climb to the refuge. Pretty much the same sightings every time, today was no different. Lots of Thrushes, Song (dozens), Mistle (dozen or so) and Fieldfare (2 or 3). Some Blue tits (4), Hawfinch (3) and Cirl buntings (2) too. Unfortunately no Bramblings even though Chaffinches are pretty much everywhere. I had hoped one would attract the other as in Mortitx. I guess I will have to go there to connect.
Peregrines and Ravens overhead are common too.

Very quiet at albufera today, although there was a lot disturbance around as roca hide. Looks like a new hide is being erected to the left of the field. The only birds that haven’t already been reported here were a couple of male Pintail.
Depedura also quiet. As I arrived there was an Osprey being mobbed by two Lapwings. The Bluethroats appear to have moved on.
At cami des pols I finally caught up with the flock of Waxbills. Also saw 2 Moustached warbler there.

A Dotterel was found this morning at Salobrar by Gemma. Despite running around like a lunatic and some help from Pep, I couldn’t find it.
It’s a big place as I discovered and the wind was strong enough to blow the ears off a donkey so I expect it was sheltering somewhere nearby. So were all the other species it seems, I only saw some Avocet, Shelduck, Curlew, Marsh Harrier, super close views of a Booted Eagle with prey and many Flamingoes.
One Dotterel overwintered in the same place last year so I will try again. Mike

Happy St.Antoni day! Hope you kept warm and that your bins and Scopes have been blessed along with the other animals.

A short walk around La Gola. Birds seen included: Crossbills, Sardinian Warblers, Chiffchaffs, Robins, Little Egret and Common Sandpiper. Good flyovers by Booted Eagle and Cattle Egrets.

Attachments

• 008E565F-3624-4009-A04A-0A738B2AAF03.jpg
    008E565F-3624-4009-A04A-0A738B2AAF03.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 23
  • 54C3B981-C4DA-4B33-AEE3-9D6FF84C1E9A.jpeg
    54C3B981-C4DA-4B33-AEE3-9D6FF84C1E9A.jpeg
    182.5 KB · Views: 34
Today at Son Real. 7 Stone curlew and a couple of R.L.partridge on the blue walk path. From the hide Hawfinch, Blackcap, Willow warbler, Robin, Grest tit and 12 Song thrush lined up drinking together. On the beach there wer 6 Turnstone , Thekla lark, Stonechat, Meadow pipit , Audouins gull and Sardinian warbler.

For those of you interested in insects, a new website on the Pollinators of the Balearics has been published. http://polinib.info/. Available in English and covers a good variety of local insects (503 species) and plants (211 species)...

Excellent Patrick, many thanks. I know many readers of this thread have a great interest in insects and plants so this is very welcome. Mike

[QUOTYE=Patrick_m;3666816]For those of you interested in insects, a new website on the Pollinators of the Balearics has been published. http://polinib.info/. Available in English and covers a good variety of local insects (503 species) and plants (211 species)...[/QUOTE]

Hi Patrick
Are you able to provide info on the English version?
Thanks
Martin

I finally managed to connect with a Brambling (4 in fact), this morning at Mortitx. This along with Siskins, Song and Mistle Thrush, and more Black redstarts than I had seen before. I stopped counting at 35 in one small field. Plus the usual Great tit, Robin, Chaffinch, Firecrest, Grey Wagtail...No raptors as the clouds came in quite thick at about 11 over the mountain tops.

Also attached a picture taken 2 days ago in Tossalls Verds showing in a single tree with 4 Mistle thrush, 4 Hawfinch and a Fieldfare. Who says this winter in Mallorca isn't exceptional!
And someone saw a Bullfinch this morning in Orient!

Attachments

• _D1_7400.jpg
    _D1_7400.jpg
    698.1 KB · Views: 67
  • _D1_7259.jpg
    _D1_7259.jpg
    940.1 KB · Views: 64
Evening walk around La Gola
Birds seen included: Booted Eagle, Kestrel, Sardinian warblers, Blackcaps, Little Egrets, Common Sandpiper and some 30 chiffchaff. So many Chiffchaffs feeding from the trees..behaving as flycatchers.
Garden Warbler heard also..this seems very early. Any comments Mike?

Hi Patrick. That’s exceptional and what a photo. This winter has seen high numbers of Hawfinch, Siskin and Brambling. There has never been a better year for these species.
I’m very interested in the Bullfinch record as I saw one at Son Real some time ago. Do you know if there are any photos? Mine was a female. Mike

Hi Mike,
The Bullfinch sighting was posted on the Gola Albercutx group. It seems there may be photos. Nothing on the GOB Citau site or the GOB Forum yet.
I know there was a recent sighting in Menorca but did not realised you had seen one in Son Real. I need to keep my eyes open!

BTW on the GOB Forum, I just realised the details of the recent census have just been published by Maties.
http://www.gobmallorca.com/forum/viewforum.php?id=2

Afternoon Visit to Son Real.
13.00 at Hide. Birds drinking on pool included Greenfinch, Blackcaps, Blackbirds, Chiffchaff. Waiting for Hawfinch when 7 turned up! Great views of great bird.
Other birds seen included Thekla Lark, Audouins Gulls, Kentish Plovers, Crossbills, Kestrels,Great tits etc
Best site in Mallorca

Last edited:
Afternoon Visit to S'Amarador and the Depuradora
Several Marsh Harriers, Booted Eagles, Kestrels, and possible Sparrowhawks. Other birds seen included Hoopoe, Cetti Warblers and Moustached Warblers. Redcrested Pochards, Gadwalls, Purple Swamphens.

Question..why is the path at the end of the Sewage works to the Albufera now closed to public?

Attachments

• C72E89DB-4E35-4DD2-A76B-A61B21EB25A8.jpg
    C72E89DB-4E35-4DD2-A76B-A61B21EB25A8.jpg
    444.7 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
Question..why is the path at the end of the Sewage works to the Albufera now closed to public?

Others may be able to answer better than me but I'm sute that it's been staff access only for a number of years. I believe too many people were abusing it (in particular cycling groups), plus you have to go through private property to get to the gate. There are probably other reasons.
ps I'm happy to be corrected.

Yes, too many people were going into the reserve by the back entrance and this means the staff cannot accurately count the number of visitors which is needed for the statistics and funding I believe. I haven’t used that way in for years now but I know some people still sneak in there. Cyclists used it a lot as Martin says. Mike

I don’t know what was going on at the Cap de Ses Salines this morning but it was very special indeed. 400 Balearic shearwaters, a few Scopoli’s and then the Gannets started coming through. I am lucky if I see more than 5 in a day there normally, but in our short time there today, we logged 32, all flying west, all adults.
A while later two rare Razorbills flew east and I believe another seven were seen after we left. Apparently, the winds were very favourable.
Later at the salt pans we saw 1 Sanderling, 1 Temminck’s stint, c400 Golden plover flying over and good numbers of Dunlin.
I was lucky enough to be in the company of Krister, a Finnish birder and top man. I must say that being with a much more experienced birder than myself was a delight. I learnt so much. Just wish I could do it more often. He also gave me a copy of his book about birding in Lithuania where he now lives. Looks a good place to visit. Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back