• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Out this week with my classes (1 Viewer)

xbted52

Spring has finally arrived in Germany. The storks are on the chimneys, and you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a Red Kite!!! So I decided to take out my different classes (I teach science) to look at birds and other critters.

I took along the Zen Ray 7x43, and Eden 8x42 and the Eden 8X50.

I let kids from 3rd grade to 10th grade use my binoculars all week! Anyway, I now have a bunch of kids that want to go out birdwatching with me!!!

They can adjust the diopter and the eyepieces now, and have figured out the focusing. All of the binoculars survived, however, the 8X50 were the favorite binoculars, but I think that's because they are so big. The Eden binoculars put up with a gigantic amount of pounding and dirty fingers, and came out strong. I was a bit worried to let the kids use my precious Zen-Rays, but the Zens are no worse for the wear.

Needless to say, I am very happy with all my binoculars. All of my classes and the Science Club are extremely happy with the binoculars. But for whatever reason, they were obsessed with the Eden 8X50s. Honestly, I think they were very easy to use for the little guys. They don't care about weight- only have to hold them for a few minutes and they have infinite energy.

Regardless, I'm glad that my kids thought the binoculars were 'cool'!

No way did a bunch of Chinese binoculars stand up to all that abuse! You must be lying. I have it on a good forum authority that they are all pieces of turds not worth the time spent to build them. He can't be wrong.

;)

On a more serious note, glad to see the kids enjoyed them and that you got them hooked on birding. You just contributed more to the "sport" than if I were to write 100 reviews. :)

They liked them because they were entertained by loose eyepieces, rings of fire... Oh, well. Could the preference for the 8x56 (not "50") be partly due to the 7 vs 6.14 and 5.25 mm exit pupil giving that bit more room for (what you, Frank, call) "roaming"?

Last edited:
Spring has finally arrived in Germany. The storks are on the chimneys, and you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a Red Kite!!! So I decided to take out my different classes (I teach science) to look at birds and other critters.

I took along the Zen Ray 7x43, and Eden 8x42 and the Eden 8X50.

I let kids from 3rd grade to 10th grade use my binoculars all week! Anyway, I now have a bunch of kids that want to go out birdwatching with me!!!

They can adjust the diopter and the eyepieces now, and have figured out the focusing. All of the binoculars survived, however, the 8X50 were the favorite binoculars, but I think that's because they are so big. The Eden binoculars put up with a gigantic amount of pounding and dirty fingers, and came out strong. I was a bit worried to let the kids use my precious Zen-Rays, but the Zens are no worse for the wear.

Needless to say, I am very happy with all my binoculars. All of my classes and the Science Club are extremely happy with the binoculars. But for whatever reason, they were obsessed with the Eden 8X50s. Honestly, I think they were very easy to use for the little guys. They don't care about weight- only have to hold them for a few minutes and they have infinite energy.

Regardless, I'm glad that my kids thought the binoculars were 'cool'!

Good to hear you're training the next generation of birders!

Forget the "run them over with a truck tire test," which isn't realistic, but letting a bunch of kids play with your bins for a week and having them returned unscathed, now that's a true test of durability!

Brock

423 miles to the south, spring has already left.
Giving the kids some bins to look through is a good thing to wake up an enthusiasm not already buried under countless hours in front of a monitor!
I like my Eden XP, too. If Kato lets me keep it, I will use it for that very purpose, getting children hooked.

Excellent work!

Get them while they're young because when they get older they generally think birding is hopelessly uncool.

I don't care if they do. This time of year, at the start of the hour, I show them a "bird of the day" anyway, as the birds arrive. Today's bird: Blue-gray Gnatcatcher. FOY all over the state this week.

After a while, they start to be amazed at just how many cool birds are really out there. :t:

My only regret is that I left my binoculars at school on Friday and the red kites have come back in town, I saw them at least 10 different times this weekend.

Anyhoo, I got the class out there, and the science club, plus a couple teachers now- they all loved it!!! All the binos are still intact and working great; they were really great about not touching the objectives and putting the straps around their necks at all times.

If I get a couple of new birders out of this, I'd be thrilled!!! :-O

Oetzi, I love the Edens too. They are a bit warm, but still very pleasant; the 8x56 are my favorites and I use them with a very wide strap so no pain at all- very excellent binoculars for those of us not willing to spend alpha money.

Last edited:
Wonderful stuff!

Don't forget to tell them there is more than birds out there.

Great work pal and lovely to hear about.

Lee

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back