• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Extender for angled Leicas (1 Viewer)

Rotherbirder,

Of your concerns, the fixed scope aperture is the significant one, transmission losses and internal reflections in this case are increased so marginally that their effect is negligible. A top-quality 88 mm scope is capable of showing increased useable resolution (more detail) up to roughly 0.9-1 mm of exit pupil diameter, or just about to the top magnification offered by a single extender. In planetary viewing, much higher magnifications are useful.

Whether the view is mediocre or excellent depends on your definitions of those terms. But, for practical perspective, in good viewing conditions the improvement in detail seen will with the Kowa 883/4 will be significant well beyond the 60x possible with the zoom alone, and from my experience with extended use of a Nikon ED 82 A capable of 75x and now the Swaro ATX 95 going up to 72x, I'd say that the point of no more return to your increased magnification with a good sample of the Kowa is somewhere in the 85-96X range, which makes it plenty useful for the money. With the Nikon I would not have been satisfied had the magnification range stopped earlier, and with the Swaro I often would need it to go higher, at least up to 85x, preferably closer to 100x. I have a booster (Zeiss 3x12) which has sometimes allowed me to ID a shorebird at about a mile distance at 115X that was simply impossible to ID at 72x without the booster. And the Zeiss booster really does have poor transmission and a whole bunch of glass to deteriorate the image, unlike the Kowa extender that has very few glass-to-air surfaces, no prisms, and much better coatings.

But not all birders use their scopes to their max, it depends on the kind of viewing you do, and if you have a Kowa and rarely use it at mags above 50X, you will have no need for the extender.

Kimmo

Thanks for the explanation Kimmo. I won't have any use for one as I use an APO62, but find the concept interesting. How does it compare with using a teleconverter with a zoom lens in photography? As I have long understood it, prime lenses have always had the edge on zooms; zoom eyepieces have improved vastly I know - even from using the 'old' 20-60(16-48)x - but I'm impressed that they can be pushed so much further. As you say, quality is very subjective anyway.

Thanks again,

RB

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back