• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Victory pocket models updated! (1 Viewer)

I had very high hopes for these, assuming they had wider field of view and a more relaxed view than my Ultravid 8x20's, but smaller than my Nikon Monarch 8x30's. But that monstrous case (something that's essential to me as they're tossed around in my school bag and travel backpack, is a real deal-killer. Not sure why premium binocular makers make a binocular so compact, only to reduce a lot of the benefit of their compact size by designing such a huge case. Guess I'll reconsider the Kowas 8x22 again.

I just don't know why so many people get their knickers in a twist about the binocular cases supplied by the manufacturers. There are hundreds of different cases readily available in all sorts of sizes, shapes and colours, you only need to visit a well-stocked camera store. You're bound to find one that fits and works for you.

Or get yourself some nice, soft leather, and have a saddler make you a case. You can even make it yourself.

Hermann

OK, I'm confused, but that's nothing unusual for me. Just what is the performance difference between the 10X25 made in Hungry and those now made in Japan? As I understand it; the only difference is the new models have a fluoride coating to the lens - that's a plus but how much of a plus in a 25 mm lens?

OK, I'm confused, but that's nothing unusual for me. Just what is the performance difference between the 10X25 made in Hungry and those now made in Japan? As I understand it; the only difference is the new models have a fluoride coating to the lens - that's a plus but how much of a plus in a 25 mm lens?

The new focus knob looks bigger. It could be a significant improvement to handling, especially if it is smooth.
Close focus spec is also much better.

--AP

Last edited:
Other notable changes according to the brochures:
  • wider field of view (105 m versus 95 m at the usual distance; I prefer degrees but Zeiss doesn’t)
  • more eye relief (16.5 mm versus 13.5 mm)
  • heavier (290 g versus 250 g)
  • wider operational temperature range (−25°C to +63°C versus −20°C to +40°C), though I’m always dubious about how this is measured and reported.
So they’re entirely different products. The new ones look different, have different specifications, and are even more expensive.

Other notable changes according to the brochures:
  • wider field of view (105 m versus 95 m at the usual distance; I prefer degrees but Zeiss doesn’t)
  • more eye relief (16.5 mm versus 13.5 mm)
  • heavier (290 g versus 250 g)
  • wider operational temperature range (−25°C to +63°C versus −20°C to +40°C), though I’m always dubious about how this is measured and reported.
So they’re entirely different products. The new ones look different, have different specifications, and are even more expensive.

The longer eye relief would be very good. I don't wear glasses, and have not
yet found a pocket type, that works well without holding things a little bit away, with a forehead brace.

Jerry

They claim fluorite lens elements, not coatings. That should make for less CA and sharper views. I haven’t tried the previous generation but they are outstanding for compact binos.

Somebody can give a statement Swarovski CL Pocket 8x25 vs Zeiss Victory Pocket 8x25 ?
I boiled it down to those two and lean towards the Zeiss at the moment. I am most interested in the ease of view of the Zeiss. I could test the Swarovski and it was ok but maybe someone can tell me the Zeiss is even better.

Binomania Italy has a review of the Zeiss 8x25 Victory Pocket and google translate spits out that the Swaro may have an advantage in ease of view. Thank you !

After much consideration I have taken the plunge...I have been looking for an 8x25 since the beginning of the year to replace my Zeiss Victory 8x20 (which is great, but I could never feel entirely comfortable with it due to eye placement issues).

I was considering the Terra but then the Victory was announced and although more that twice the price, it will be amortized over many years (15/20).

It is in the post now, hopefully I will have it by the weekend and all going well I may sell the 8x20.

After much consideration I have taken the plunge...I have been looking for an 8x25 since the beginning of the year to replace my Zeiss Victory 8x20 (which is great, but I could never feel entirely comfortable with it due to eye placement issues).

I was considering the Terra but then the Victory was announced and although more that twice the price, it will be amortized over many years (15/20).

It is in the post now, hopefully I will have it by the weekend and all going well I may sell the 8x20.

Well done Dublin man. Please let us know what you think of them when you have had time to try them out.

Lee

Well done Dublin man. Please let us know what you think of them when you have had time to try them out.

Lee

Will do - mine will be an end user comment though, lacking all the technicalities ussually displayed in the forum by the experts (which are great contributions and I enjoy reading).

It actually reminds me when I got my Victory SF 8x42 a few years back. I was looking to upgrade and went to the shop ready to buy another model from a different brand, which cost less than half the price of the Zeiss (again, after months of research and testing).

So I tried that brand/model one last time and compared it vs the Swarovision (which I had already tested) and the Zeiss Victory (which for some reason I hadn't) and was blown away primarily by the "immersive" field of view. It made it feel as if I was perching on the branch next to the bird I was watching...so back to the drawing board, additional research, additional test at different times of the day and went for the Victory at the end. Right decission.

The pocket should arrive today, just in time for the weekend.

Just arrived...some initial impressions...
-They literally are baby Victory...same strap and case as the sf but smaller.
-Strap light and comfortable.
-The case's size is what I expected it to be. I red somewhere that some found it too big, but I thought it would be this size. Not to put in your pocket though.
-I only tested them briefly at night, they are a little bit brighter than the 8x20, but not a lot. Field of view is noticeable wider.
-Main size difference vs the 8x20 is its lenght.
-I wish the eye relief was a little longer. My eyelashes as a bit long so they get to touch the front lens, what is a bit annoying. This was worst with the 8x20 and doesn't happen with the sf 8x42. Personally this is something to watch.
-Eye placement is easier than with the 8x20, but I need to test it further.
-I will test it further tomorrow with particular attention to glare control as the difference between the 8x20 and the 8x42 is huge in this regard.

Brief update after this morning... Optic performance is outstanding, no need to elaborate much here. Glare control is excellent, probably at the level of the sf 8x42. It feels very light and comfortable in the hand, my finger rests naturally on the focus knob, which had the right resistance.

I am still getting used to the eyelashes thing I mentioned before as I like resting the binocs against my face, but I need to use them for more hours and time will tell.

Any q feel free to ask.

Brief update after this morning... Optic performance is outstanding, no need to elaborate much here. Glare control is excellent, probably at the level of the sf 8x42. It feels very light and comfortable in the hand, my finger rests naturally on the focus knob, which had the right resistance.

I am still getting used to the eyelashes thing I mentioned before as I like resting the binocs against my face, but I need to use them for more hours and time will tell.

Any q feel free to ask.
Check the user instructions to find out if the eyecups remove for cleaning. If they do you could put a 1.0 or 1.5mm thick rubber o-ring underneath the eyecup to give you a bit more clearance for your eyelashes. Before doing this, unscrew them by this amount and make sure you can still see the full field of view. The other solution is to dab an electric razor against the tips of your lashes and just 'shave' off a tiny amount.

Lee

Check the user instructions to find out if the eyecups remove for cleaning. If they do you could put a 1.0 or 1.5mm thick rubber o-ring underneath the eyecup to give you a bit more clearance for your eyelashes. Before doing this, unscrew them by this amount and make sure you can still see the full field of view. The other solution is to dab an electric razor against the tips of your lashes and just 'shave' off a tiny amount.

Lee

Thanks, good idea, just checked and unfortunately they are not removable like the sf's. I need to spend hours with them before doing anything as sometimes you naturally find the best way to use them.

Another option...many years ago I got a pair of winged eyecups from Ace Optiocs. They are a bit expensive but I find them fantastic and I have used them in every binocular every since. I have now ordered a "compact" pair from them as I can easily gain 1 or 2mm with them with the addition benefit of blocking light coming from the side (that is exactly what I do with the "standard size" binocs, so it should work with the compacts.

Thanks, good idea, just checked and unfortunately they are not removable like the sf's. I need to spend hours with them before doing anything as sometimes you naturally find the best way to use them.

Another option...many years ago I got a pair of winged eyecups from Ace Optiocs. They are a bit expensive but I find them fantastic and I have used them in every binocular every since. I have now ordered a "compact" pair from them as I can easily gain 1 or 2mm with them with the addition benefit of blocking light coming from the side (that is exactly what I do with the "standard size" binocs, so it should work with the compacts.

Neat solution for anyone who does not wear spectacles. Good luck.

Lee

A few hours using it and getting used to, combined with the winged eyecups is making a difference... They feel much more comfortable every time. The fov is just amazing.

Iinitial reflections on the new Zeiss Victory Pocket 8x25.
I have used it in the field only for a few hours, and am not sure when I can do so again.
My visual acuity is ~20/15. Myopic. Astigmatic, ~-1.0. The following tests were each with and without glasses.
Veiling glare: More than in the pocket Leica Ultravids, where it is very slight.
Backlit glare: Well controlled, but more than in the pocket Uvs.
Glare is stated first because it affects other optical parameters (below) when it is present, and also to me the difference between the image when there is veiling glare, for example when the subject is within foliage lit from above or a side, vs when there is none, when the subject is lit evenly or from the front, is a bit nagging; glare when backlit though does not nag me in this way, because it is "naturally" expected.
Sharpness: Very good.
- Vs Swarovski Habicht 8x30. A friend with acuity ~20/12 finds the Zeiss not as sharp. I cannot, or did not, see this difference.
- Vs Ultravid pockets. No direct comparison with the Uv. 8x20 was done, but on comparing with the Uv. 10x25 I feel that the Zeiss will be seen by me to be not quite equal in making out detail when that is done, due to Leica's contrast.
Sweet spot: Image is sharp nearly to the edge.
Color rendering: A little "cool".
Chromatic aberration. I am sensitive to color fringing in that it can be "provoked" easily and here that occurs less than 1/2 way from the center of view. In actual use it was never obtrusive or even noticeable.
Ease of view (quick relaxed observation on putting up to the eyes): Very good. Better than the Hawke Sapphire 8x25 (with smaller eyepiece diameter), which was my last pocket 8x, better than the Uv. 10x25 (with smaller exit pupil). [Edited after further testing to change Hawke comparison from "much" better.] (This too depends on the user.)
Field of view: The FOV of the Hawke, stated to be 6.8 deg., feels only a little less wide than of the Zeiss, stated to be 7.4 deg., so this to me is not striking.
Ergonomics: For my medium/small hands and the way I hold the body, with left index finger on focus knob, grip and balance of body, and focusing action, are very good. Barrels are thicker than of the 25mm pocket Uv. The strap lugs are located such that when the body is folded for ~60mm inter-pupil distance and placed flat on a plane surface it rests on these. This Zeiss can go into a front pocket of regular pants (mine anyway, fairly standard I think!) with that IPD held but the outline is more visible than of the Uv. 10x25, due to the bulkier barrels and the hinges lying less flat.
Finish: Not traditional Zeiss! On inspection, flawed, and armor seems flimsy. But in use the instrument feels robust enough.

Last edited:
I just got to try the new Victory 8x25 and was really blown away. It has roughly the same exit pupil as my old(ish) Trinovid 10x32, is significantly brighter, has lovely contrast and color, similar sharpness across the field, and weighs less than half as much! Smooth, easy focusing, nice armor (doesn't feel cheap to me; I think the slight ridge at the seams is intentional), love the asymmetric hinge. Cons: I still prefer 10x (which I could have if I wanted to sacrifice EP, which I don't) and the eye relief is crazy high here, too much for the eyecups which I can barely rest against my brow. An increasingly common problem, but I think I could make it work.

I might have to get one. Can anyone recommend a very simple belt pouch (neoprene or nylon) that fits these models snugly when folded closed?

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back