• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Young Gulls ~ Help Please: (1 Viewer)

Mike Robinson

It strikes me that the the Gulls in the picture might all belong to the same species and might all be of similar ages. They were standing beside the tidal Thames by Erith.

Looking at my book, 'Gulls of Europe, Asia & North America' (by Olsen and Larsson) it seems to me that they might be 2nd Winter Herring Gulls? First Winter birds would be darker? That being said, I could alternatively plump for First Winter, Lesser Black-Backed Gulls? I have boldly discarded Great Black-Backed Gull and Yellow-Legged Gulls!

I would be grateful if somebody could throw some light on this please?

A zillion thanks ~ Mike .....

Attachments

• young gulls.jpg
    young gulls.jpg
    239.1 KB · Views: 150
I'll have a stab as no-one else has yet answered. The front two are definitely black-headed gulls. The middle one looks like a common gull, and the back three are either juvenile herring gulls or juvenile lesser black-backed gulls - I'd guess at the former. Hope someone else answers with more confidence for you soon.

Dear all:

In addition to thanking you for your kind help &c. I apologise for not being entirely clear in my original request. I did actually mean the three Gulls at the rear of the picture.

So it seems I was partly there; if albeit, near but yet so far away, as it were!

Once again, thank you .....

Another newbee question that I hope fit into this thread:

When you see flocks of gulls, are there any "guiding rules" on which kind of gulls who usually mix up?

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back