• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden/Yard List 2016 (4 Viewers)

Congratulations Wari, I had a glass of something to celebrate with you too!
We are moving house at the mo, so I've not been able to spend time loafing with my bins, but did manage to add one more species at the weekend:

67 Swift

No Skuas for me (that would be news!), but plenty of variety so still smiling.

67. Wood duck (gorgeous Male flyover at sunrise yesterday).
68. Herring Gull
69. Common Yellowthroat (heard)
70. Nashville Warbler
71. Red-eyed Vireo. (bang goes my peace and quiet now they've arrived!).

Garden total last year was 55, so a very succesful year already. Makes a big difference being here in May for the warblers while they are looking fancy and the leaves aren't here yet (I was in the UK last year), and paying more attention to flyovers!

New house, new list starting from 0? ;)

Not yet, seeing as we haven't managed to sell yet I'm going to keep the garden(and its list) going, I'll start on Jan 1st at the new place. Nearly added Hobby this morning,I'd gone just 200m after leaving the house when one flew by:eek!:

Who's stolen the Spring? At 2pm it was just 5degrees with sleet, the latest for the year list must be thinking of going back to Africa!

68 Red-backed Shrike

National rarity? Or American Herring Gull?!;)
Ooh, well I'm going to assume American Herring Gull, but I'll be honest, I didn't realise they were different. And my ebird list has them listed as the same bird whether I saw them in UK or Canada. Hmm....more learning required!

Ooh, well I'm going to assume American Herring Gull, but I'll be honest, I didn't realise they were different. And my ebird list has them listed as the same bird whether I saw them in UK or Canada. Hmm....more learning required!

Aye, ebird are stuck in the 20th century and haven't split European (Larus argentatus) and American (Larus smithsonianus) Herring Gulls yet - you need a more 'with-it' list like IOC :t:

At least you've added one to your life list;)

I liked your fox cub pics on flickr, by some strange coincidence we saw one yesterday too.

Back to the garden, a Skylark singing this morning was No.56. A little late this year, I was afraid they had deserted us.
I saw some swifts going into the roof last night so the regular ones are back and after about 8 years there have been a pair in and out of one of the boxes, sadly not the one with a camera in.

Aye, ebird are stuck in the 20th century and haven't split European (Larus argentatus) and American (Larus smithsonianus) Herring Gulls yet - you need a more 'with-it' list like IOC :t:

Ack! Not even going to look.....already at danger of spending more time logging sightings and reading about other peoples', than going out and looking myself! ;)

Back to the garden, a Skylark singing this morning was No.56. A little late this year, I was afraid they had deserted us.
I saw some swifts going into the roof last night so the regular ones are back and after about 8 years there have been a pair in and out of one of the boxes, sadly not the one with a camera in.

Skylark song makes me a little homesick for the UK. I still notice it's absence in fields here.
Congratulations on the swift box use, patience was worth it in the end!

Nearly added Hobby this morning,I'd gone just 200m after leaving the house when one flew by:eek!:

I know your feelings. It happened me too the other day. I was walking dog and there was only 100 m left when 5 cranes flyover... :C Not even Usain Bolt could manage to see those from garden because they flew wrong direction.

But still couple newbies from weekend:

#50. House Sparrow - one male
#51. Common Rosefinch - singing male on the neightbors bush
#52. Northern Lapwing - two flyover

Had an unusually late for us night last night (we don't get out much!). Lying in bed this morning, birding by ear (ie. yep, I know that call, I'm having another 5 minutes! No Mr.Ovenbird, I don't care how noisy you are, you'll still be there in another hour). Then heard a Wood Thrush. Out of bed, grabbed bins and went a looking. Eventually found it about 500m from home, singing his heart out. I have a fair few mosquito bites from birding in pyjamas, but very pleased to see him!
Wood Thrush are not uncommon in these parts, but I suppose they count as my nemesis thrush. I've seen Swainson's more often, which are far less likely. Anyway that takes the all-time garden thrush list to 4, or 5 I suppose with American Robin too. Very nice!
Bonus, got home in pyjamas before the school bus drove past!

72. Wood Thrush

ETA: Closely followed by 73. Scarlet Tanager. Usually see at least one a year locally, this one just outside garden, but singing loudly.

Last edited:
Been busy so haven't been out birding too much lately... so my total for the year is staying about the same but I did manage to get one new year bird this week:

121. Swainson's Thrush

This morning I managed to find a few new birds for the year around the yard:

122. Black-billed Cuckoo
123. Eastern Wood-Pewee
124. Cedar Waxwing
125. Mourning Warbler
126. Magnolia Warbler - finally! This little guy managed to evade me until this morning! First noticed by song; then got some looks at him.

Famine broken!!!!.....doing some judicial pruning in the back garden with new battery driven Trimmer, when a snatch of notes that are indelibly etched on my grey matter suddenly repeated several times.

I must be mistaken I thought, but heard again, just a few short notes, that's confirmed it especially when it sang again!

Get them only occasionally in the Autumn on return passage, never in Spring before....Reed Warbler. no.61. :eek!:

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back