• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds in real bad storms: where do they go? (1 Viewer)

Not normally, that's why I was so surprised. I guess the horrible night of tropical storm winds and heavy rain did them in and they were needing some nourishment.

Not normally, that's why I was so surprised. I guess the horrible night of tropical storm winds and heavy rain did them in and they were needing some nourishment.

I guess so.

I didn't see any regular birds until around 4pm today when it was clearly winding down and all of a sudden several dozen sparrows came out of a stand of hemlocks all at once to forage.

Later I saw two grackles flying above the treetops clearly struggling against a strong and variable cross-wind.

But the hummingbirds! We have a pair living here somewhere. I saw them around more than I ever have before. They were out all day, even in the worst of it this morning and they seemed to actually be playing in the wind. They would fly together, twisting and turning around each other going all over the place in the gusts.

Though so small, I guess I can imagine that above all other birds, hummingbirds would be able to instantly adjusting to changing winds. Pretty wild.

Check out this list from friday from a reservoir in the piedmont of VI (fairly well inland)

http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S7177009

For those too lazy to click the link, observers pulled out three species of Pterodroma, 2-3 species of shearwater, 2 species of Jaegar, Sooty Tern, and several other unusual tern species for an inland site

:eek!::eek!::eek!:

This list was from Hurricane Fran in 1996 ...

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back