• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A bit of fun - Essex pub twitching (2 Viewers)

28 different so far, I reckon:
in alphabetical order......
Crane in Basildon (and Upminster)
Curlew (S. Woodham)
Duck in Newney Green
Dove – (Rainbow & Dove) Harlow
Eagle Braintree, Galleywood (and Spread Eagle, Witham and Eagle & Hind
Chelmsford)
Falcon in Southend
Flamingo in Holland-on-Sea
Goose (Fox & Goose,Ongar Road Chelmsford and Fat Goose in Tendring)
Hawk battlesbridge
Hummingbird in Harlow
Jay – (Three Jays - in Jaywick)
Magpie (Cock & Magpie in Epping Green) I suppose cock could count as well but maybe pushing the boundaries a bit
Meadow Lark in Shoebury
Moorhen Harlow
optimist in Upminster
Owl and the Pussycat in Basildon
partridge (dog and Partridge - Great leighs)
pheasant Gestingthorpe ( + dog and Pheasant, East Mersea)
Penguin in Colchester
Pigeon (three pigeons, Halstead )
Raven (Fox and Raven Chelmer Village)
Sandmartin, Chafford Hundred
Seagull (Essex Seagull in St Osyth)
Swan Braintree (also in Rayne, Bradwell, maldon, lt totham and witham)
Black Swan Harlow
White Swan Harlow
Golden Swift, Harlow
Woodpecker in Hutton

I belong to a group of birders who mainly know each other from Rainham,headed by Howard Vaughan and we call ourselves the Boozybirders

Does the Crooked 'Bill'et count? Was my local as a student having made the big move south from my home town local 'The Mucky Duck' aka The White Swan.

Golden Crane, Cranham

Incidentally, I feel there should be some kind of filter on this list so we can be sure of which of them do serve decent beer. I would hate to be involved in some kind of themed pub crawl only to find myself in a bar that doesn't serve a pint worth drinking...

On another tack, and seeing as how Chelmsford Beer Festival is on later this week, I suspect other birders have like me amused themselves by trying to drink any/ all beers with birds in their name- Buzzard, Eagle etc etc. The Chelmsford list includes: Black Swallow, Roller, Swift & Black Swan Mild.

Happy drinking!

A Taxomony of Pubs with Bird Names

Why name a pub after a bird? Well, a birder couldn’t resist coming up with a way of grouping them into types – a kind of taxonomy. Here goes:

A play on the name of the town or locality. (The Three Jays at Jaywick would be a good example.)

Named after a bird found in the locality. (Pubs with seabird names at the coast. Perhaps most of The Swan pubs fall into this category.)

Derived from an older, non-bird, name. (Can’t think of an Essex example, but just outside Ipswich there was a pub called The Ostrich, which was derived from the previous function of the building – A Hospice!)

Derived from something else, which itself has a bird name. (Again, I can’t think of local examples, but I think that there is a pub somewhere near an airbase called The Harrier – after the Harrier jump jet.)

Named after some local hunting activity that involved birds. (Dog and Pheasant; The Falcon.)

Named after a real or fanciful coat of arms for the area. (Spread Eagle perhaps.)

Named after a dish for which the pub was famous. (The Fat Goose?)

No good reason at all, just fancied the name. (Looking through the pubs mentioned on this thread, it would seem that most fall into this category – Hummingbird and Dirty Penguin, certainly!)

OK, that thought passed away a wet morning. Any other categories?

Stewart

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back