• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Collins Field Guide on PocketPC (2 Viewers)

hollis_f

For a few years I've dreamed of having a field guide on my PocketPC. I have a few sound files, but that's about it. At least, it was until Saturday - when I went to the WildSounds stand at BirdFair. There I saw a big display of what I thought was the Collins Field Guide. But why were there a load of people gathered around. As I got closer I noticed the 'e' in 'eGuide' and my heart lept.

The program is now available from their online store for £89.95. It comes delivered on a 256MB SD card and automatically installs itself when you insert the card. All of the data is stored on the card, which means it uses very little of the PPC's internal memory.

There are entries for over 750 British and European birds, with audio for 450 of them (with more promised as a free upgrade). Each entry includes a large picture, giving ID features for adults, juveniles and regional variations (where appropriate). In addition there is the sound file (if it's one of the 450), a distribution map and a few pages of text info.

There is also a Log feature, where you can detail sightings with Species, Location, Date and Comments.

So far I've only had an hour, or so, to play with it. But it seems to be pretty stable and runs fast enough (on my 3-year-old iPAQ 2210) to be useful in the field. I'd love to see it running on a newer PPC with a 640x480 screen (rather than my puny 320x240).

I'll try to post some screenshots later in the week.

Sounds fantastic. That's exactly why I steered clear of the stand - I don't think I would have been able to resist!

I'll be interested to hear how it stands up to use in the field - one thing that occurs to me is that although I have a very modern ppc, the screen isn't great in bright sunshine. And the acid test of course is whether they have managed to squeeze in all the details you need to make an ID in the field.

Have fun and I look forward to hearing your reports back.

I took the plunge and, despite a few niggly problems which dissappeared when I registered, it is as good as the book but a lot lighter. The text and illustrations are the same and on mine the pictures are the same size as the book, you scroll around the screen which you do by touching the screen and moving the stylus. The bird log is useful for quick notes although I spent a lot of time looking down at the screen rather than at the birds which could be a problem until you get use to using it.

A few useful additions would have been to be able to select a bird from the log and get the detail screen, and a search only searchs the text in the current list. The listings are a little unhelpful and will take time to get use to. Apart from that it helped me get a few idents quickly confirmed with the ability to listen to the calls as well. Personally I think it was worth it.

Now I know why it was a good decision not to go to BirdFair!!

Any Northumbrian birders taken the plunge and willing to demo the package?

And do we know who is selling it?

Thanks

John Fleet

Robert L Jarvis said:
So if the program is £89.95, how much would a suitable pocket pc be?

For just over £200 you can get a Dell Axim X30 312MHz jobby that should run it OK. For £315 you can get a Dell Axim X50v 624MHz machine that will be faster and has a 640x480 screen (as opposed to the 320x240 screen of the cheaper models).

Other models with the big screen to look at are: iPAQ hx4700 (£400) and Loox 720 (£380).

For me it was a real bargain as I use my PPC a lot (it tells me what I'm supposed to be doing, when I'm supposed to be doing it, how to contact the people I'm supposed to do it with and how to get there - using GPS and route planner). I also use it to keep up with my email when away from home. I also got a very good deal on the Collins and Sasol (Birds of Southern Africa) pair - because they could just copy the programs to my own memory card.

Hi All

Just ordered one from www.wildsounds.co.uk @GBP 89.95 and free postage.
It sounds great but proof will be on how user friendly it will be, says he who still can't get his head (or PDA) around the Wildlife Lister Software! Intend to use it on a Dell X50 axim PDA. Will advise further when I have received and had time to play.

Hippo

I am using Collins eGuide on a 320 x 240 pixel PPC. I like it! (Lest my following comments give the wrong impression).
My PPC crashed a couple of times and that was after I'd registered - I couldn't say for sure that it was anything to do with the eGuide - but it seems OK now.
Yes, some of the picture text is a bit difficult to read, you need to shade the screen on bright days, and the PPC is less tolerant of getting wet than a book (so I keep mine in an AquaPac pouch - an appropriately manicured fingernail is not essential but it helps), but these slight niggles are more to do with PPC technology rather than the eGuide.
I found some of the listings a bit perverse - for example - Fieldfare appears on the main list but you need to select Thrush if you want to see Redwing or Mistle Thrush, and, to see Red Throated Diver you have to select Loon.
This might not seem odd to some people but it did to me.
I would be interested to know the effect of using a 640 x 480 pixel PPC?
Also, I wonder how long it will be before eGuides are available for wildflowers, moths and butterflies, fungi, etc.
If fast enough and cheap enough Internet connection to PDAs happens first probably never (as a SD card anyhow). The Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy is just around the corner!

Ambrose said:
I would be interested to know the effect of using a 640 x 480 pixel PPC?

It would depend on the format the pictures are in. If they are bitmapped then 640 x 480 would make them half the size on the screen compared to a 320 x 240 screen of the same physical dimensions. Not a lot of use for field work I would have thought. On my 320 x 240 the pics are the same size as the book, but a fraction of the weight and with all the other kit I carry that is a major bonus :)

I checked out the wildsounds website, but I was disappointed at how little information there is about the product. Not even screenshots.

However, pdasolutions do have a bit more info (although still disappointing, with a very primative-looking webpage). I have ordered a Collins eGuide on the basis of the extra info they provide

Used the Eguide out birding on Saturday,bit fiddly at first and sound recording, tendency to be tinny.Overall though a good bit of kit,downside is the glare factor with PPCs when using out of doors. I think along with Internet and Email this will be a useful addition on occasions when out birding.My PPC is a IPAQ 2210.

POP

Hi Pop

When you say the sound is a bit 'tinny' - is that from the built-in speaker or did you use headphones?

Saturday (today) is very sunny, so I would expect the glare to be at its worst. I suspect that once it clouds over - particularly during the winter months, this won't be a problem?

Hello Kevin I found that both were slightly "tinny",the glare problem can be overcome by shading the screen with your hand as an example.If you have a PPC then I think the EBook ia a definte advantage and is worth having.
POP

Further to my previous post re eGuide...
My winge about the index is very minor and would probably only be an initial problem to beginners (at birding, not PPCing).
I have noticed though that the colour rendition does not match the book and I don't know how the PPC colour could be adjusted to get a better match. When I checked I found different colour renditions between the 'coffee table' sized book and the 'pocket' sized book. I know that colours vary in the wild from bird to bird of the same species. I wonder what criteria are used to choose the colours published in guides.

My software arrived today and my first reactions are positive.

I particularly like how easy it is to record your sighting from the appropriate bird screen.

One frustration
A good idea is the single display of all the bird families in one large graphical interface. What is supposed to happen is that you use your pointer to select the family you want. However, I found that repeated attempts at tapping were often needed before the appropriate family was detected.

I would certainly want to spend a bit of time practising before I take it out in the field, but I am confident that it will be an 'essential' piece of kit. (yet another one)

I have one of those waistcoats with lots of pockets. I have found it to be a godsend, except it didn't have pockets big enough for the paperback version of my Collins. My PDA (Dell Axim 30 624MHz) simply clips on my belt. Fantastic.

The bird log records species, location and date - essential to help me in future years should I want to re-visit a specific bird. Should that happen, I simply search for the bird and it tells me where I have seen it before - and at what time of year. Magic!

I'll let you know my field experiences in due course

Last edited:
I mentioned earlier that the sound quality was a little "tinny",however on Saturday,while out birding I played the sound recording for a Marsh Tit,and pulled out a pair of birds,so obviously they were impressed with the sound!!! I used the guide quite a lot on Saturday and found it very impressive,it is a case the more you "play" around with it,the more user friendly it becomes.One word of caution if you get carried away with it,watch how much power the battery has left.The beauty of the whole setup of the PPC is you have EMail,the internet ability to view digital photos and now a field guide.Toys I just love them.

POP

Dear Group
I am thinking of purchasing this software, but I have one concern, that is this software is supplied on a SD memory card and therefore this software could be at some point corrupted, or erased by mistake!!! Is there a way of backing this software up, or is there a re-install CD also supplied just incase this ever happens? Just need some reassurances before I part with my £89 hard earned pennies.

Thanks Dougie B :)

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back