• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2018 (1 Viewer)

Just let me know what you need Stew and I will do my very best to find them.
I think birding is definitely keeping me young. I don’t know anybody else my age who leaps out of bed at 5am to drive north and sit on a piece of rock all day.

Still two Spoonbills, Red-breasted mergansers, Bluethroat and Common Crane at Salobrar. I haven’t seen the Short-eared owl or the Red-throated pipit but I live in hope. 5 Curlew there tonight and large groups of Starling. Mike

Just let me know what you need Stew and I will do my very best to find them.
I think birding is definitely keeping me young. I don’t know anybody else my age who leaps out of bed at 5am to drive north and sit on a piece of rock all day.

Thanks Mike, I’ll message you over the weekend with dates and wish-list (which, I warn you, contains such rarities as dunnock and goldcrest!).

Stew

Haha, yes, I think I can find those for you!
Son Real is good for both species so I guess that might be on your itinerary.
We also have Common Crane around and Red-breasted merganser.
Lots of Bluethroat around as well, Mike

A glorious twenty degrees today which felt very hot on the beach clean-up this morning. We spend one morning every month joining a group who clean a different beach every time.
The main culprits are cigarette ends with hundreds being collected. There were a lot of very small plastic beads on the shoreline. I believe these are doing a lot of damage.
More Red-breasted mergansers around now.
To end the day, Mabel took a stunning photograph of a sunset over Porto Colom with a skyfull of Cranes.
Mike

A Snow bunting seen and photographed on Ibiza.
I remember Clive finding one quite a few years ago and he posted a photo on this thread I believe.
That was the last one to be seen so that’s how rare they are.
Two Mergansers now at Albufera.
Tonight the most intense red sky I have ever seen. I hope people took photos, I was driving and couldn’t stop, it was glorious. If only more people took notice of their surroundings, the world would be a better place.
Mike

The first Alpine Accentor of this winter has been seen by Maties at the tower.
The castel at Alaró is also a good place to see this species, they can be very confiding too.
A couple more Red-breasted mergansers have been seen as well.
Mike

The BigYear is going ok but the number of species seen being is lower than average so there will be no record breaking this year.
With just under a month to go, it seems that less than a handful of birders will reach the magic 200.
I have only managed that feat once, last year. It takes quite a bit of doing and commitment though.
I won’t make it this year, a spring trip to the United States put paid to that but I might get close.
Mike.

Great walk around the salt pans this morning with Mike despite the mist not lifting until midday. Starting along Eddies track the first bird we encountered was a close up view of a Hoopoe. Moving on towards the refuge, lots of Stonechats, Linnets, Chiffchaffs, Meadow pipits and Sardinian warblers showed up everywhere.
At the refuge Mike picked out 3 Red breasted mergansers through the murk. It was here we spotted our first Bluethroats (at least2). Further on we came across 2 Spoonbills and near the end of the path good views of another Bluethroat.
The only bird of prey we saw was a Marsh harrier.
Lots of Flamingos as usual and the waders included Curlew, Greenshank, Redshank, Dunlin, Little stint and Ringed and Kentish plovers.
Also had good views of a Grey Heron wrestling with a large eel which it finally managed to swallow.
Great birds, great company and the pies weren’t bad.

A Snow bunting seen and photographed on Ibiza.
I remember Clive finding one quite a few years ago and he posted a photo on this thread I believe.
That was the last one to be seen so that’s how rare they are.
Two Mergansers now at Albufera.
Tonight the most intense red sky I have ever seen. I hope people took photos, I was driving and couldn’t stop, it was glorious. If only more people took notice of their surroundings, the world would be a better place.
Mike

The Snow Bunting was 25th November 2009, Mike. A really lucky find just down the road from my house. I think I was the only one to see it. It was in the same spot for 24 hours or so. After I reported it, Cati Artigues came on the second day but she missed it by a few minutes, then Maties Rabassa came too. Quite a twitch for Mallorca!

Thanks Clive. Two people for a mega was about right all those years ago.
Now we have a second record for Mallorca, a Red-flanked bluetail, and I think my total estimate of twenty people was about right. That’s progress!
I hope your house is now relatively in order, what a terrible experience for you.
Mike

Thanks Mike. I still have some repairs and painting to do, but I'm getting there. Also making preparations for a professionally made flood barrier. These extreme events are becoming more frequent here and all over the world. I shall need a break soon, so maybe we can meet up for some birding somewhere before Christmas.

I checked the 2009 Mallorca Forum, there were 3 pages, but I think that is when you started the Mallorca thread. In 2010, 12 pages, and now 55 pages and counting... thanks due to your dedication.

I made my annual pilgrimage to the tower this morning to check out the alpine ascentors. I found one at the tower and another at the viewpoint car park below. Other birds seen were Blue rock thrush, Crag Martin, Black redstart, Robin, Balearic and Sardinian warblers.
On the way home I called in at the deperadura where two Bluethroats showed briefly.

Nice birds Kevin, well done.
To add to the sightings of unseasonal birds, Mika found a Corncrake at s’Amarador today, photographed by Juanjo.
It’s a major rarity here.
Shame you didn’t know about it earlier Kevin, you could have called in.
Still, I’m not sure it will be going anywhere, I will be on site Tuesday and hope it sticks. The Starlings will be a wonderful diversion if the Corncrake is not showing.
Also a splendid adult male Hen Harrier there.
Mike

Last edited:
Hello all. Has anyone been on the GOB annual bird report page and tried to obtain a copy for Mallorca for 2017. I did this earlier in the week and gave the €5.00 donation. The reply said that I would then be provided with a link to view the report, 4 days later and it still hasn't arrived. Perhaps I am doing something wrong?
David

Hi David.
I will speak to Steve, I’m sure it’s some kind of glitch and you will get your copy soon.
Thanks for making a donation, it’s a lot of work and we are grateful to Steve for all his devotion, but it’s well worth it, the report contains lots of useful information of arrival dates, how many pairs breed, where all the species are being seen and loads more important facts.
I hope it’s sorted soon, Mike

Mike

Thank you. The annual Birds in Northumberland book, for 2017, is also being issued in the next week or so. Together they will make for great reading over the Christmas break. It will be interesting to "compare and contrast" and seeing those birds listed that are very common in one location and comparative rarities in the other. Dunnock comes to mind!!
David

At S’Amarador by the "dog house" today for the Corncrake, no sign of it or the Hen Harrier, but a great place for photography.
Reed Bunting, Cirl Bunting, White Wagtail, Water Pipit, Wood Sandpiper, Green Sandpiper, Black-winged Stilt, Tree Sparrow, Moustached Warbler, Gadwall, Teal, 5 Common Crane flew over, a pair of Kestrel and the usual Marsh Harrier. About 10 Red-legged Partridges flew over.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back