• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

48 hours in Durban from 4 January 2019 (1 Viewer)

Any top tips for local species/good birding within a one day drive from Durban most welcome.
Possible Gurney's sugarbird sites or other local specialities?
Thanks in advance.

Pretty much the whole of South Africa is within a 1 day drive of Durban!

Assuming you are prepared to do a bit of driving, sites I would consider are the Sani Pass (good for Gurney's Sugarbird), Mkuze, and St Lucia. All offer world-class birding.

The only drawback with Sani is that you need 4WD unless you want to walk / hitch. Depending on your budget, it might make more sense to hire a guide (with a 4WD) for the day. I can recommend Stuart McClean. If you can squeeze in 2 days, you could also do some forest birding in the same general area.

There is also good birding in the city at Pigeon Valley NR which has spotted ground thrush and apparently buff-spotted flufftail, although I failed to find the latter. It was 2003 when I was there so you'd want to get more up to date gen.

Thanks for the information. I decided to stay close to the city and search out one of the large barn swallow roosts.

Tried Mount Moreland this evening but it was not in large scale use.

Where are the >1million swallows roosting if not there. Any advice welcome for tomorrow.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back