• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Eagle Owl in Inverness City Centre (1 Viewer)

jpoyner said:
Was told today by a local at the site that there are seemingly FOUR Eagle Owls present, confirmed by photographs taken by "someone from the RSPB"???

No idea if this is true.......none present at 1pm today anyway, but a lot of passers by stopping to stare up in to a lone Monkey Puzzle tree and ask "is he there today".......seems to have become a bit of a "local hero".

JP

Cheers for the update. :t:

Hi JP,

Thanks for the photos, sorry I missed them yesterday. Is it possible there are 4 individuals in Inverness centre? if so send me one please. I think I will email the RSPB to ask if there are 4 birds or were the photos. 4 sightings of the same bird.

I wonder if someone released it/them after the BBC film? On the weather tonight it was forecasting blizzard conditions in the north of Scotland, if they hit Inverness and the bird was a captive one I wonder how it will manage, maybe shelter under the scaffolding?

Thanks again for the photos they look as if you actually took them.

Ann

A CHAPLIN said:
Hi JP,

Thanks for the photos, sorry I missed them yesterday. Is it possible there are 4 individuals in Inverness centre? if so send me one please. I think I will email the RSPB to ask if there are 4 birds or were the photos. 4 sightings of the same bird.

Ann

The guy I spoke to may have just assumed the photograpaher was from the RSPB so not sure if they will be able to offer any more info.
Bit of a mystery really, as is where the bird/s came from.
Apparently the one in the Monkey Puzzle tree is wearing a black ring if that means anything to any ringers.

JP

Found this article which contains interesting references to Eagle Owls in the Highlands.

http://www.owls.org/News/eagle_owl.htm

Exactly what is going on with these birds up here is a bit of a jigsaw. As far as I know there are several Owl breeders in the North of Scotland but I can't believe they are losing all these birds. Possibly unwanted birds are being brought up here for release? Have heard several rumours of breeding birds but it's all a bit vague as to what is going on. There was certainly a bird in Abernethy Forest two winters ago (no idea if it was ringed) and one turned up at Aviemore (maybe same). The article says Roy Dennis was actually ringing young at the Black Isle site....thats a new one on me too.
Is someone deliberately releasing birds? Is someone trying to secretly recapture any offspring too maybe? The Highlands is perfect to do both while avoiding publicity. Who knows....the Eagle Owl mystery deepens!!

John

PS Does anyone know if the North Sea rig sightings in the article were genuine or just mis-id'd Long-Eareds?

Scottish Eagle Owls

I remember a few years ago,that I was told of a breeding pair in Morayshire.Until recently,I have not heard anymore on the subject.For those who dont know,Morayshire is a large thinly populated area of North Scotland,with acres upon acres of suitable habitat for Eagle Owls.

jpoyner said:
or releasee ?

JP

John

I've posted on the thread EO's in Yorkshire, following your quote that a pair of EO's have been breeding in Invernesshire and wondered if it might be the same (or offspring) birds - escaped or released?

jpoyner said:
The article says Roy Dennis was actually ringing young at the Black Isle site....

I do remember hearing EOs were nesting here some time last year, but cant remember for the life of me who told me.
Thanks that was an interesting article.

white-back said:
Nape looks very gingery buff with not much heavy dark marking- any views on whether this is a Bengal type or a W European EO?

It could spell bengal but I had a friend who had a very similar marked bird, after her first\second moult she turned decidely much darker (more akin to W Europe birds), so it could be a first or second year european bird. Maybe a falconar could shed more light...

Myself and my brother are up in inverness right now with a digital video camera with us. We shall try and capture some film of the Eagle Owl and post a link as soon as possible!

:t:

Welcome to Bird Forum Nicol-bob - I'm sure you'll enjoy it here.

Looking forward to seeing any pics you get of the EO's.

D

PS Does anyone know if the North Sea rig sightings in the article were genuine or just mis-id'd Long-Eareds?[/QUOTE]

Hi John, to the best of my knowledge there are no 'confirmed' sightings of Eagle Owls in the North Sea. Tim

Invernessian Eagle Owl

Ben Nevis said:
I remember a few years ago,that I was told of a breeding pair in Morayshire.Until recently,I have not heard anymore on the subject.For those who dont know,Morayshire is a large thinly populated area of North Scotland,with acres upon acres of suitable habitat for Eagle Owls.

Hello
first time on this site still figuring out how to work it!
On Christmas Eve at 3pm we were just setting out to do our Christmas Shopping (!) on Inverness High St and saw a bunch of people with broad smiles on their faces gawping up at a high (2nd floor) window ledge. Invernessian architecture being what it is, we figured they couldn't be admiring the gorgeous 1970s concrete structures that adorn our beautiful "city". Roosing at 2nd floor level was a huge fluffy thing with massive ear tufts, nonchalantly looking at people going by. It was just gorgeous and we spent a good 30 mins joining the bunch of people admiring the creature. We went upstairs in Tisos to get a more level view. Many people were trying to take photos with mobile phones but not much point in my view. Excited calls to my more serious bird watching family resulted in bro in law and sis turning up with binoculars - the Owl peered down at them with large orange eyes and many other spectators appreciated a loan of the binocs. There is a well placed first floor bar at a hotel opposite where the Owl was roosting and we were told that it had been on the window ledge all day with the occasional foray off to get the local speciality of of "pigeon take out" - dispatched with great efficiency according to reports.
It was great to see the look on peoples' faces and awe struck kiddies - hopefully this will inspire more Highlanders to admire rather than dispatch our lovely raptors.

:hi: Hi Badbirdwatcher and thank you so much for that report, he really seems to have made himself at home there doesn't he.

I can almost see myself joining the ranks of the 'twitchers' - heaven forbid! :eek!: Hmm quite fancy a trip up north tho', hope the snow stays away!

I see this is your first post, so welcome to Bird Forum - I'm sure you will enjoy it here. Any problems finding your way around just shout - we were all first-timers once. ;)

D

Update

Bird is still there, recently shocked shopping crowds by swooping down and grabbing a local gull by the neck, then carrying it off before devouring it on the roof of Bank of Scotland!
On Hogmanay joined revellers at 1am sitting on the railings of Ness Bridge!

John

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back