• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tree Swallow Gender? - Eastern Ontario, Canada (1 Viewer)

Gordon W

Shot this tree swallow this morning in eastern Ontario, Canada (at least I'm pretty sure it's a tree swallow). I think it's a female, but not sure. Can someone positively ID its gender and maybe its age? Thanks.

Attachments

• Swallow On A Wire_DSCN06131BF.jpg
    Swallow On A Wire_DSCN06131BF.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 46
Probably male, though extra-bright adult females do occur and are not always separable from their male counterparts.

And, please, birds have "sexes" not "genders". . ..

hi everyone I am new to the Forum I live in south Louisiana and I just found a small blue egg by itself laying in the middle of my lawn can anyone help me try to determine which type of egg this is?

Egg identification help?

hi everyone I am new to the Forum I live in south Louisiana and I just found a small blue egg by itself laying in the middle of my lawn can anyone help me try to determine which type of egg this is?

Probably American Robin: it lays blue eggs and commonly nests in suburban settings. To pin down the ID, it would be helpful to know the size (length/breadth, preferably in millimeters)

thanks you fugl, I will try to get that information, since it was not a nest or anything just laying out in the yard on the ground in the rain is there anyway I could make a nest and put it in there with a heat lamp n save it?

Yes we have I'm sorry about that I am new to this and have a little trouble figuring out exactly what forum to go on and how to post my quotes and respond to messages

thanks you fugl, I will try to get that information, since it was not a nest or anything just laying out in the yard on the ground in the rain is there anyway I could make a nest and put it in there with a heat lamp n save it?

No, not really. The egg may not even be viable at this stage (if it ever was).

Probably American Robin: it lays blue eggs and commonly nests in suburban settings. To pin down the ID, it would be helpful to know the size (length/breadth, preferably in millimeters)

More likely a Starling - they also have pure blue eggs, and are well-known for laying random eggs outside of their nests.

More likely a Starling - they also have pure blue eggs, and are well-known for laying random eggs outside of their nests.

Just so. The measurements should tell the tale (with the caveat that robins are known for laying the occasional "runt" egg).

Something new, perhaps due to global warming? Sibley (2000 edition) maps American Robin as breeding right down to the south coast of Louisiana.

Just checked the NGR & Sibley iPhone apps, both of which show the far-south of Louisiana as outside the breeding range. Dto (to bring the big guns to bear!) BNA-online (2016).

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back