• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leica 10x50 BA vs new models (2 Viewers)

8x42 Noctivids arrived today. Found a great deal on brand new in the box pair from the Netherlands for less than $1900. Tried them out a little this morning. The best part is how they work with my eyeglasses. On the second setting of the adjustable eye cups they are perfect as far as the FOV. Much much better than my 10x50 BA’s I’ve had for 25 years. They are brilliant and magic as far as sharpness. I can’t wait to try them out in low light tonight and compare them to the BA’s for light transmission. They are heavy but much smaller than the BA’s which I take on a hike almost every evening. That will be nice not having to lug the 10x50’s around. Carried those on my shoulder instead of around my neck.

Congratulations on the Noctivids. I also found them to be a great fit with eyeglasses. Compared to the 10x50 BA's you'll be getting more than half a pound reduction in weight, as well a full degree wider field of view.
Please report your observations about brightness at dusk and early morning between these 2 bins. If your pupil is adjusted for low light, I expect the 10x50's will prevail, but am curious as to how and when you'll perceive the difference.

Also, you might try a Rick Young Harness for the Noctivids. It distributes the weight very well on both shoulders.

Enjoy.

-Bill

Congratulations on the Noctivids. I also found them to be a great fit with eyeglasses. Compared to the 10x50 BA's you'll be getting more than half a pound reduction in weight, as well a full degree wider field of view.
Please report your observations about brightness at dusk and early morning between these 2 bins. If your pupil is adjusted for low light, I expect the 10x50's will prevail, but am curious as to how and when you'll perceive the difference.

Also, you might try a Rick Young Harness for the Noctivids. It distributes the weight very well on both shoulders.

Enjoy.

-Bill
Thank you Bill. I was not able to stay out as late as I wanted to tonight but just after the sun went down I was able to compare the Noctivids to the 10x50 BA’s. There was clearly a difference with the Noctivids being brighter than the BA’s. I’ll try again tomorrow to compare a little later in the evening. I was surprised that the BA’s weren’t brighter but that is probably a result in the difference between 8 x and 10 x power’s. I will definitely look into the Rick Young Harness. Thanks for the tip!!!

The 8x42 Noctivids are slightly brighter in late evening hours than the 10x50 Leica BA’s. Not a huge difference but I was surprised it is noticeable. The best thing about the Noctivid is the full frame of view when looking through my eyeglasses. I don’t quite get that advantage with the Leica BA even with the lens cups all the way down. Interesting how they accomplished that. I have the Noctivids eyecups screwed up to the first setting. Really like the much more compact size!

Just to chime in with a more general question in the 8x / 10x / 12x big glass discussion...

I have an 8x56 T*FL and it is probably my best glass in terms of the easy view - compared with serious 42s such as 7x42 T*FL, 7x42 UVHDplus, 8x42 HT.

But despite being pretty fit and shake-free I'd have to admit it's not easy to hold them still even without yomping up a hill, fighting a gale, and being generally warry!

So in the discussion of big SLCs, SVs, UVHDs etc (50 & 56-size objective glass) are you mostly talking about supported use? Tripod or resting on a ledge and so on, or are you all/mostly quite sure of getting a steady view by arms only viewing? (Not meaning you look through your arms!)

I ask because though I have such respect for my 8x56 and would love to see the extra detail a 10x50/54/56 would give I don't feel confident it would work out in practice.

Thank you,

Tom

Tom:

You are mentioning the topic of optics that need supporting, and that is not a question of weight,
but is all about the magnification. Typically optics of 15X need tripod support, a 12X will benefit but
it is not necessary. This about image shaking from the larger image, when handheld.
Anything less than that may benefit from tripod support, that means 10X. If you want to carry a
binocular, make sure you are able to carry it. For some that like large size objectives, the big
50-60X models are very nice, but they are not for all around all day use.
That is why many users have different size binoculars, and 42 mm, is considered the best all around size.

Jerry

Jerry,

Thank you for summarizing that. I agree about the 42mm size for general use - in fact it has taken some time to find any happiness with 32mm as 42mm strikes me as FAR easier to use even in bright conditions. I didn't know why I was finding 32s so hard to focus but it must be to do with reduced depth of field presumably. Now I am learning just to whisper to the focus wheel rather than shove it too far.. (The 32mm's are however very easy and satisfying to focus close up: Zeiss 8x32 FL.)

Regarding weight and magnification, the 56 is an interesting case being only 8x magnification but the whole instrument is basically two large heavy glamour bottles and I can't hold them up for very long at all before getting shaky. I have used the 8x56 on a tripod and that shows me just how good it is, almost makes me want to trash the smaller general purpose inventory.

Relevant to the OP's thread on 10x50 Leica vs. 8x42 Leica Noctivid, they sound very different animals and hard to compare but both inspiring for observation. Would the 10x50 be conceived more for astronomy and the 8x42 for nature observation? Not sure if pre-flat field technology encouraged astronomy though.

All the best,

Tom

Last edited:
After using a 7x50 for like 30 years I have now some 10x50 as well and it has certainly many uses aside from astronomy. Everything punctual and far away like deer, ships at sea airplanes and such are very nice to watch at tenfold magnification. Quite a difference to 7 times. Sevenfold however gives that huge overview and wide picture. "Guarding" or observing something for longer times is easier this way. And it is less shaky as shakes are magnified as well.
I'd agree some 8x42 makes for some very good general use binocular. Strong but with some reserves for low light and not overly bulky.

... I didn't know why I was finding 32s so hard to focus but it must be to do with reduced depth of field presumably. Now I am learning just to whisper to the focus wheel rather than shove it too far..

Regarding weight and magnification, the 56 is an interesting case being only 8x magnification but the whole instrument is basically two large heavy glamour bottles and I can't hold them up for very long at all before getting shaky.
For me focusing is all about mechanics. Perhaps your 32s have a rather different ratio/travel to get accustomed to? As for weight, I find my SLC 56s heavy around the neck after a couple of hours, but not difficult to hold. (The 10x is really nice, if you're contemplating that.) My everyday 32s are actually more challenging to hold steady, expecially during mountain hiking, due to their lovely low weight. With a large glass it could also be a matter of balance and finding the right ergonomics, like getting the elbows a bit more underneath rather than far out to the sides.

For me focusing is all about mechanics. Perhaps your 32s have a rather different ratio/travel to get accustomed to? As for weight, I find my SLC 56s heavy around the neck after a couple of hours, but not difficult to hold. (The 10x is really nice, if you're contemplating that.) My everyday 32s are actually more challenging to hold steady, expecially during mountain hiking, due to their lovely low weight. With a large glass it could also be a matter of balance and finding the right ergonomics, like getting the elbows a bit more underneath rather than far out to the sides.

Thanks for your help on this, Tenex. I will check out your suggestions for good handling form. I think I've got it pretty much right but it's encouraging to hear what I've already found to be true from camera use: that a heavier item can give better balance and be held more steady. The gearing on the 32 is probably the secret as you mention; I had another go today as a treat (well, sort of) in between hour long work blocks and pretty much nailed it while focusing on some pottery that has finely detailed leaves, flowers, dragonflies, and butterflies.

More relevant to the current thread, a demo 10x50 is being sourced by my local store to try out. I'll be interested if in SV form it is as I'm told MUCH easier to hold steady than the very good 8x56 FL. Though my focusing practice this afternoon confirmed that Leica is still my favourite for colour and the 3D rounded effect. Personal taste as usual.

Tom

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back