• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Guide Recommendation (expert human, not a book) for Ecuador (1 Viewer)

BruceBerman

Supporter
Hi Folks,

I need to hire some guides for my DIY trip to Ecuador next March/April and, being new here, I became excited when I saw the "guide" button at the top of the forums page. It was for field guides!

In Costa Rica earlier this year we hired guides by the day, usually through lodges, and some were fantastic and others not so.

This trip we're considering hiring guides for multiple days and are looking for recommendations. This trip we will not be birding the Amazon region, but all other locales are possible.

So far, I've found two names, Julia Patino and Marcelo Arias. Do you have any other suggestions? Gracias!

Don't know which part of Ecuador you are going to. I have heard that Angel Paz is very good. He only does tours on his own property but lots of birds there that have become used to him. He also has a lodge. His prices are low but strangely, he charges $5 more if you bring a camera. http://www.refugiopazdelasaves.com/ Have not been there myself but have heard many good recommendations about him.

Angel also has son with a vehicle

Don't know which part of Ecuador you are going to. I have heard that Angel Paz is very good. He only does tours on his own property but lots of birds there that have become used to him. He also has a lodge. His prices are low but strangely, he charges $5 more if you bring a camera. http://www.refugiopazdelasaves.com/ Have not been there myself but have heard many good recommendations about him.

Angel also has a son who is an excellent guide and had a vehicle.

Ecuador Guide

I just returned from our second trip to the northwest area of Ecuador, centering around Mindo.
First, Julia Patino is excellent. Very pleasant, passable English, lots of experience. Her cousin, Sandra Patino, is also very good and probably speaks better English. They specialize in the NW Ecuador area-Yanacocha, Milpe, Rio Silanche, Birdwatcher's House, Amagusa, etc. Depending on number of people in group, between $60-80 USD, for 5-6 hour day. They can arrange drivers and cars, but that will cost considerably more. We used our own rental car.
Second, Refugio Paz de las Aves, is not to be missed. The Paz family is terrific and you will see birds there you are unlikely to see elsewhere. If possible, stay at their lodge for at least 1 night. The group tours stop at Refugio in the morning but typically leave by 11:00 AM. You will have the property to yourself, along with Angel or another member of the family, for the afternoon and evening. The accommodations are basic, the food good and the family wonderful.
Third, Birdwatcher's House is another do not miss. Vinicio, the owner, is a terrific guide in his own right.
Fourth, not in the guide books, Pashe Quinde or "Tony and Barb's Garden" is another terrific spot. Not only for birds but for some difficult to see mammals. All the local guides know where it is located.
Fifth, in Mindo, the Yellowhouse trails are another hidden gem as is the "waterfall" road early in the morning.
We will return sometime in the future. It is a wonderful area.
I have all the contact info if you would like. Just PM me.
Jim

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back