• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kings Norton Nature Reserve (1 Viewer)

1974 was my last positive sighting....:-O
Keith :t:

Hehe.

Need something closer to modern times lol. Ive seen them in the past around Cocks moor though not sure if still in the same area. Need it for this years list, and my trips around Wyre have not been forthcoming:-O

Lovely morning today and I only visited Meercroft......Could only locate 3 of the Goosander today unless one was hiding on the island.
2 or 3 B.H.Gulls either floating on the pool or having a noisy fly by and the Tufteds still around.
A Grey Heron was on the fave old tree on the north end and a Kingfisher was hiding behind him and then flew across to the back of the island.
While trying to get some pics of the Heron and Goosander the Kingfisher returned doing a panicky landing on a low branch.

Attachments

• Canon 207 066.jpg JPEG low.jpg
    Canon 207 066.jpg JPEG low.jpg
    384.6 KB · Views: 84
  • Canon 207 083.jpg low.jpg
    Canon 207 083.jpg low.jpg
    496.2 KB · Views: 70
  • Canon 207 141.jpg low.jpg
    Canon 207 141.jpg low.jpg
    357.7 KB · Views: 86
  • Canon 207 102.jpg low.jpg
    Canon 207 102.jpg low.jpg
    519.8 KB · Views: 81
  • Canon 207 091 A.jpg low.jpg
    Canon 207 091 A.jpg low.jpg
    360.7 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
Lovely morning today and I only visited Meercroft......Could only locate 3 of the Goosander today unless one was hiding on the island.
2 or 3 B.H.Gulls either floating on the pool or having a noisy fly by and the Tufteds still around.
A Grey Heron was on the fave old tree on the north end and a Kingfisher was hiding behind him and then flew across to the back of the island.
While trying to get some pics of the Heron and Goosander the Kingfisher returned doing a panicky landing on a low branch.

Nice one Keith!! Glad to see a kingfisher is at Meercroft again!! I have got a really bad photo of a kf from there. Good you got a photo. What time did you see it?

Hi Jason....I knew you would see this......:-O

The pic was at 12.16 pm.....but it was already in the bush I think when I got there (1/2 hour before)....and it jumped up into the branches just after and I did not see it come out.
It's a terrible place to get near anything though.....lots of tangled branches so short of hacking everything down and putting up a perch I will have to have a think about getting some better stuff.

heres the un cropped image.....

Attachments

• Canon 207 141orig.jpg
    Canon 207 141orig.jpg
    342.6 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:
Hi Jason....I knew you would see this......:-O

The pic was at 12.16 pm.....but it was already in the bush I think when I got there (1/2 hour before)....and it jumped up into the branches just after and I did not see it come out.
It's a terrible place to get near anything though.....lots of tangled branches so short of hacking everything down and putting up a perch I will have to have a think about getting some better stuff.

heres the un cropped image.....

Hi Keith,
Yeah I struggled with any photo's at Meercroft, it was on the island and then flew to the side, too far away to get a good shot.
The kingfisher I found on a Birmingham Bourn lake, Selly Oak arrives mid day to fish at the weekend.
During the week I found this one in Essex near where I work, it's back for winter and I see it most days now;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/88816303@N08/8444650965/

I know last year you could park in Twatling road opp the cemetery and they were in the trees and on the ground.
Suppose they forage around in all the trees around there and up into Warren Lane by the Church as well.

Thursday 21st....had to pick up something at the docs in Wychall lane so had an half hour spare before getting off to work so popped over to Meercroft to see if any of the Goosanders were still there.....there were 4 to start off and were down to 2 but they were back to 4 again ...all female still.
The Kingfisher looks to be a regular visitor as well....always hiding in the mass of branches at the north end....as is the Heron as well.
Others there were...
10 B.H.gulls
3 Tufted
Coot
Moorhen
Mallards
and a 1st for me here ...a Male Sparrowhawk hiding in the branches above where the Kingfisher goes.Could be a colourful pic there some time....

Attachments

• Canon 210 055.jpg LOW.jpg
    Canon 210 055.jpg LOW.jpg
    339.5 KB · Views: 105
  • Canon 210 018.jpg low.jpg
    Canon 210 018.jpg low.jpg
    356.3 KB · Views: 93
  • Canon 210 051.jpg low.jpg
    Canon 210 051.jpg low.jpg
    386.7 KB · Views: 103
  • Canon 210 066.jpg low.jpg
    Canon 210 066.jpg low.jpg
    355.8 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:
Have you got the Bigma.....these as you can see were in the area to the right ...about as close as you can get.....my problem with this place is the light.I have never been happy with any shot from here.The males are a complete nightmare ...black and white is a real no no. (see 1st post on here).

Don't know if you know Pete Walkden - another local birder - he has taken a few snaps here as well. (500mm)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/petewalkden/

Yeah, the lighting is pretty harsh. Took around 200 snaps of them last week whilst they were diving and preening around the fishing platform. One or two were ok for record shots, but the rest binned!

Is there any access to the far bank, behind the houses?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back