• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden/Yard List 2019 (3 Viewers)

Well, as long as "you're not bitter", as the Guinness ad says (other stouts are of course available ahem)B :). Yes, Dunnock it was, a cigar coming your way:t:

You'll have to do better than that Richard!....gave up smoking 47 years ago!

Don't do much ''bitter'' nowadays, however I could (red whine) a lot, If I chose to, but that would be taking the entire farce of adjudication too seriously, and I couldn't do that (well not at the moment). B :)

A real jaw dropper at 10.47am, a flyover garden life 1st....a European Shag (filmed) size and continuous wing beats said all! no.57.

An ERROR on my part, always going to be difficult, a fast flying foreshortening “all” black projectile, picked up at 135 degrees on a 180 degree flight line, with a niggling “abrupt” turn into the wind almost at the end.

Prompted me to review the black dot frames once more, and whilst taking extra frames from the clip, noted that several frames revealed a contrasting pale bar to the secondaries...adding that to the flight jizz would eliminate a Phalacrocorax species and support an equally jaw-dropping Velvet Scoter!

To ERR is supposedly human.....:eek!:

Spring gathering pace - many hundred of Bean and White-fronted Geese passing over today, a few Whooper Swans and a very nice pair of immature White-tailed Eagles lingering a while, circling low overhead. Also a flock of six Great White Egrets heading north, two Woodlarks (one singing in good looking habitat) and other bits and bobs.

45. White-fronted Goose
46. White-tailed Eagle
47. Great White Egret
48. Black-headed Gull
49. Woodlark

Last edited:
Spring gathering pace - many hundred of Bean and White-fronted Geese passing over today, a few Whopper Swans and a very nice pair of immature White-tailed Eagles lingering a while, circling low overhead. Also a flock of six Great White Egrets heading north, two Woodlarks (one singing in good looking habitat) and other bits and bobs.

45. White-fronted Goose
46. White-tailed Eagle
47. Great White Egret
48. Black-headed Gull
49. Woodlark

Hah, I'm not letting you get away with it just yet (mind you every time I see one new species lately you see four or five Jos).
Anyway, at dawn this morning, the sweet sound of the first

49 Blackcap

of the year up here, two weeks earlier than last year's first, and a day later than our earliest in 2017. Positively summery yesterday and very balmy this morning, snowing now........................
I suppose your Whopper Swans are Cygnus giganticus?;)

Back in the autumn, I constructed a series of 'shrike piles' - obvious goal being to attract breeding Red-backed Shrikes, but also expecting them to be popular with Whitethroats, etc. After a long winter when the best they could do was offer shelter to a Brown Hare, was rather pleased to see them utilised today on one of the very first days that suitable species are back in the country - influx of returning Yellowhammers in the last days, and one nice male has chosen the biggest as his favourite post, singing from it all day long.

Attachments

• Shrike Pile lt 1.jpg
    Shrike Pile lt 1.jpg
    166.9 KB · Views: 17
  • Shrike Pile lt 2.jpg
    Shrike Pile lt 2.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 18
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back