View Single Post
Old Wednesday 8th November 2017, 14:06   #63
WJC

Quote:
Originally Posted by chill6x6 View Post
When I first started with binoculars and such it was Jason, Bushnell, Bausch and Lomb, Steiner, and of course Swift.
Hi, Chuck:

Times are a changing.

In 1972, David Bushnell sold out to B&L. Then, when B&L got more interested in larger, more expensive equipment they sold the binocular business—Bushnell. Thus, it became its own company, again. Today, it comes from the same warehouse as TASCO and JASON. Steiner became part of Beretta Holding in 2008 and instruments made in Germany became the exception instead of the rule. Then for a time Burris was the importer of Steiner—most coming from China.

Finally, we have Swift—est. 1926. When Humphry Swift died, LONG-TIME employees were let go and Allison Swift (Hop’s daughter) closed the Boston operation to concentrate on the microscope branch in California. And, the last I heard was that she had sold that operation and was now working as a marketing and advertising guru in SoCal.

I would have liked to have had the reins at Swift before, after the sale, it became another “me too” company offering “me too” instruments.

I used to enjoy after hours chats with Humphry, who would answer the phone pretending to be the janitor until he recognized my voice.

Ah, but we can’t un-ring the bell.

Bill