View Single Post
Old Sunday 11th August 2019, 16:50   #563
Richard Prior
Halfway up an Alp

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenM View Post
FWIW Richard....giving away trade secrets here if the forecast is for little/to no wind and HP, then an early start can catch migrants on the move, not just today but earlier in the week I had most activity between 6.15-7.15am after which it tailed off (stuff still moving) but fewer movements.
It's probably an altitude thing (cooler at dawn, no insects moving?), but here it's often a bit later before things start appearing. After a busy morning of chores I was having a lazy afternoon scanning the mountains to our East and was pleased to see the Short-toed Eagle hunting as eight Griffon Vultures and c50 Alpine Choughs wheeled around. Then a violent and windy thunderstorm ripped through, followed by the return of the calm, with it appeared not one, but two

77 Spotted Flycatcher

Two days later than last year's first one. Funnily enough to begin with they were by the famous hawthorn to which I have previously referred. After a bit of flycatching they both flew towards the house, perching briefly at the top of the overgrown leylandii (due to be chopped down this autumn), whereupon one of them launched a mock attack on the other (see photo). All good fun!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	g g 11.8.2019.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	346.4 KB
ID:	701957