• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Disappointed (1 Viewer)

I find hides a little claustrophobic and generally as a rule avoid them, unless it's the only way I'm going to see the 'target' bird. That said... I suspect that a percentage of hide-bound birders might want to distance themselves from any 'provocative' questioning be it from a newbie or an oldbie, on the grounds that an answer one way or the other might expose their lack of knowledge and damage their self perceived 'hide-cred.' ;)

I find the best way to improve my hide-cred is to look out over a massed rank of Arctic Terns and exclaim loudly "huh... nothing but bloomin' seagulls!". ;)

Hi Claire, sorry you had a bad start...a year ago I started volunteering as a reserve guide at RSPB Old Moor & didn't know very much! I've learnt so much during this past year and a lot of it has come from the very helpful & willing to help others learn birders in and out of our hides...keep talking to people, a lot of them do want to help and are only too happy to show you their photos or let you look in their scopes...

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back