• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cuban Blackbird or Shiny Cowbird (1 Viewer)

Torcol

Hello,
I have these 3 birds seen in Cuba that I cant properly identify
What doyou think ?

Attachments

• P1140083 COPIE.jpg
    P1140083 COPIE.jpg
    331.5 KB · Views: 44
  • P1150127 TER.jpg
    P1150127 TER.jpg
    580.1 KB · Views: 25
  • P1130650 BIS.jpg
    P1130650 BIS.jpg
    264.7 KB · Views: 39
I'm just going to have a guess on generic principles, to see if I'm getting it right for myself (so don't take this as a reliable answer!):
1 & 2 - thick bill, short tail: my guess the cowbird
3 - thinner bill, longer tail: my guess the blackbird, or a grackle if any on Cuba

I'm just going to have a guess on generic principles, to see if I'm getting it right for myself (so don't take this as a reliable answer!):
1 & 2 - thick bill, short tail: my guess the cowbird
3 - thinner bill, longer tail: my guess the blackbird, or a grackle if any on Cuba

Greater Antillean Grackle is very common on Cuba.

David

I have not been to Cuba but have experience with the other contenders. I will agree that 1 and 2 seems to be Shiny Cowbird. I think the bill is too short for Grackle in the third image, however, due to the angle of seeing it mostly from below I am not sure about the shape of the bill and therefore not sure - but this could be a contender for Cuban Blackbird. Any other (even unsharp) images of the bird in image three?

Niels

I have not been to Cuba but have experience with the other contenders. I will agree that 1 and 2 seems to be Shiny Cowbird. I think the bill is too short for Grackle in the third image, however, due to the angle of seeing it mostly from below I am not sure about the shape of the bill and therefore not sure - but this could be a contender for Cuban Blackbird. Any other (even unsharp) images of the bird in image three?

Niels

Hello thanks everybody for their help
Unfortunately I dont have more shots of bird 3

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back