• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Renaming all North American Birds (1 Viewer)

Steller's Sea Eagle is bigger than Pallas's. Steller's Sea Cow was enormous (but sadly gone). Steller's Sealion is the biggest! Steller's Eider...mmmmmm gorgeous…. Steller's Jay is a charismatic thief.

Stellerite is a mineral named after the chap.

Pallas is OK but that's a Steller performance. :t:

John

Steller's Sea Eagle is bigger than Pallas's. Steller's Sea Cow was enormous (but sadly gone). Steller's Sealion is the biggest! Steller's Eider...mmmmmm gorgeous…. Steller's Jay is a charismatic thief.
Stellerite is a mineral named after the chap.
Pallas is OK but that's a Steller performance. :t:
John

It was Pallas who actually named that bird as Steller's Sea Eagle...:eek!::eek!::eek!:
MJB
PS Covert claims of otherwise could be described as Steller by Starlight...!

Why is it nonsense to think about improving names?
I actually find it both hilarious and interesting.

Those who fail to see the humor and the ;) in many posts are obviously having a different sense of humor (or a lack of...) :smoke:

Those who fail to see the humor and the ;) in many posts are obviously having a different sense of humor (or a lack of...) :smoke:

Or it's simply, not funny B :)

Back to funny bird names. In Poland, the Great Tit is called sikora bogatka, or a Rich Tit, from the colorful plumage. And, guess, Marsh Tit is called sikora uboga, or Poor Tit.

I also love the name of Wood Sandpiper in Russian: Fifi.

Back to funny bird names. In Poland, the Great Tit is called sikora bogatka, or a Rich Tit, from the colorful plumage. And, guess, Marsh Tit is called sikora uboga, or Poor Tit.

I also love the name of Wood Sandpiper in Russian: Fifi.

Well, as we're now off topic (English names for American birds), I may as well weigh in with more irrelevant information, the Russian name for a Ladybird is 'Gods little Cow'.....

Must be this way of thinking which named a hedgehog in English. For me it is just weird. And in parts of South Africa, a flatdog is a crocodile.

I really dislike renaming birds, because often I have an emotional attachment to these names. Just hearing the species name brings back memories of wonderful adventures I have undertaken, hiking and camping and birding all the way. This is especially true for American birds because for me these are exotic birds and my American adventures were the most epic (walking across Arizona and walking the Pacific Crest Trail from Mexico to Canada).

Therefore I hate to see these names go. And who even links birds to slavery?

I really dislike renaming birds, because often I have an emotional attachment to these names. Just hearing the species name brings back memories of wonderful adventures I have undertaken, hiking and camping and birding all the way. This is especially true for American birds because for me these are exotic birds and my American adventures were the most epic (walking across Arizona and walking the Pacific Crest Trail from Mexico to Canada).

Therefore I hate to see these names go. And who even links birds to slavery?

Totally agree,
a pity that some others, have little, better to do.

Agreed....but most bird names are fine the way they are, but as evident here, there are many names that make no sense or are just highlighting the wrong feature of a bird. But I find this thread enjoyable

The NACC proposal passed. McCown's Longspur is dead, long live Thick-billed Longspur.

Seems to me like a trolling exercise from the NACC. "If you're going to make us do this, then we will adopt the worst name possible". While this name does seem to fall into a similar category to Sharp-shinned Hawk, Ring-necked Duck and Slender-footed Tyrannulet, it's better than the original.

A more appropriate move would be making bird reserves close to black neighborhoods and introducing birdwatching in impoverished schools.

I know nothing about you, Andy, other than from what I can gather from your posts on here, but you come across badly (or worse) in a large chunk of those - and it appears to be how you actively choose to present yourself (so probably an accurate representation of how you actually are).

Anything I might add would be against forum rules, so I will leave it at that.

EDIT: Post this is referencing has now been removed by admin, but point still stands.

Last edited:
I know nothing about you, Andy, other than from what I can gather from your posts on here, but you come across badly (or worse) in a large chunk of those - and it appears to be how you actively choose to present yourself (so probably an accurate representation of how you actually are).

Anything I might add would be against forum rules, so I will leave it at that.

EDIT: Post this is referencing has now been removed by admin, but point still stands.

My comment was totally tongue in cheek but as usual, has been misrepresented, misunderstood or whatever.

My inference was not that the arson or drug taking was a black issue, I should have added that it happens to most, inner City reserves, including one near me.

And you're right, you don't know anything about me.

Last edited:
My comment was totally tongue in cheek but as usual, has been misrepresented, misunderstood or whatever.

Aye, as usual, it's everyone else.

"And you're right, you don't know anything about me."

As I said, I can only go on how you choose to present yourself on here - same as everyone else who hasn't had the 'pleasure' of meeting you in person. It is entirely your choice to present yourself in that way. Have a nice day.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back