• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Free replacement of Sibley 2d ed 1st printing (2 Viewers)

dacol

I don't know if this has been reported in Birdforum before but a friend sent me this message:
"If you bought the 1st printing of Sibley's 2d edition, Random House will send you the vastly improved 2d printing if you call them at (800) 793-2665. The 2d printing features readable type and improved color printing."

This is all I know of this. Since I haven't yet bought the 2nd edition of Sibley's USA field guide I did not call.

Dalcio

I don't know if this has been reported in Birdforum before but a friend sent me this message:
"If you bought the 1st printing of Sibley's 2d edition, Random House will send you the vastly improved 2d printing if you call them at (800) 793-2665. The 2d printing features readable type and improved color printing."

This is all I know of this. Since I haven't yet bought the 2nd edition of Sibley's USA field guide I did not call.

Dalcio

Thanks a lot, works like a charm; fast and pleasant call; new book is on the way.
Yes, first printing was horrible

Cheers,
Mark

Thanks, Dalcio! I hadn't heard of this. I'm going to forward this along on my website, etc (giving you the credit, of course :) )

I just called and spoke to a nice representative who said the replacement offer has not been confirmed. They've been flooded with calls as word of the "offer" has spread.

If you call, she said they would put you on a list. If they do get the go-ahead to offer replacements, they will send you one. If they don't, you will get a call or an email.

When you call, make sure your copy of the book is in hand. They'll ask you for some of the publication info printed in it.

I also asked if I would have to send back my autographed copy. Since the publisher hasn't confirmed or finalized the offer, the representative didn't know. Her guess was that they would want to avoid the hassle of having all the old books shipped back, but, again, nothing is confirmed. If you really want to keep your old copy, they will make a notation on your record.

Hope this helps!

I just called and spoke to a nice representative who said the replacement offer has not been confirmed. They've been flooded with calls as word of the "offer" has spread.

Why I am not surprise? As I stated before customer service representative was very nice and helpful but even when I offered proof of purchase he did not want it. At the end of the call I had to ask what I should do with the old printing and he after a short moment said: “Just destroy it“. Well, in the perfect world this is how it should work but as we all know we are living in rather opposite reality. Original post could, and probably did, trigger a flood of calls, perhaps not all of them legit. As I got confirmation number of my replacement shipping I will post update if I receive a new printing.

BTW I have another proof of purpose - right after receiving the old printing I posted a short review pointing out how horrible the quality of some illustrations are. That was followed by several other negative comments except one anonymous love message, signed by individual with this lovely nick name Snoopy: “Were you drinking when you posted to TexBirds in March 2014 about Sibley's new book? It reads like you were. You should ask the monitors of TexBirds to take it down.” Not sure how Snoopy is feeling now when the publisher offers free replacement. Perhaps he/she is drinking B :) or waiting in line to get a new printing?

Cheers,

Mark

Just called Random House to find out what they had to say about the alleged replacement offer. Person I spoke to was actually pretty irate , I assume I was call # X thousand, but to cut to the chase the story is bogus. I have to think this false information was planted by someone who wanted to harass the publisher for some reason. No discredit to the OP, it was worth a try and at least the call was toll free.

It really seems that there is a 2nd Sibley Derangement Syndrome in play here as well. The 1st printing wasn't really that bad, or most assuredly I and the other hordes of buyers would have left it on the shelves or returned it en masse.

Last edited:
And to back up what Ruff said, I just got an email from the publisher that says they are NOT sending replacements:

We are writing in reply to your recent request for a copy of the 2nd printing of the above title. We regret any inconvenience, however complimentary replacements for individuals with the first printing of this edition are not available.

The information provided over the last several days, via the various bird groups, was not an official statement from Knopf. We do not have a replacement program for the first printing.

The Sibley Guide to Birds was never meant to be a static publication. 'My goal is for birders everywhere to have the best possible experience With my guidebooks,’ says Sibley, ‘and I will continue to make adjustments to ensure that is the case.' In the first edition of his landmark book, author David Sibley made revisions over the course of several printings In an effort to achieve the most accurate rendering of his work. This has
continued with the second edition of The Sibley Guide to Birds, with David making several refinements, including type and color adjustments, in the second printing. The second printing is now off press and available in bookstores.

Thank you for your interest in this title. If you have not yet seen the 2nd printing you may find it at your local bookstore.

Sorry about the original message, I should have tried the phone number before I posted. The bogus announcement came to me from a trustworthy source and that is why I posted it.

Dalcio

Free replacement (2nd printing) arrived yesterday (Monday) - so publisher shipped fast. Thanks to Dalcio for posting the original notice. So, publisher offered replacement, at least during first days after announcement, was not bogus at all.

Ruff wrote:

“It really seems that there is a 2nd Sibley Derangement Syndrome in play here as well. The 1st printing wasn't really that bad, or most assuredly I and the other hordes of buyers would have left it on the shelves or returned it en masse.”

Well, what is one man trash is another man's treasure. I, for example, collect books; price I paid for first printing was very low for this kind of book ($25 - shipping free) so even because of that it would be too much hassle and wasted time to try to return it. I visit the post office less than once a year and like to keep my visits at the minimum.

I do not want to spent any more time on pointing all problems with the second edition - one of my friend told me that he has both and is still using the first one… I for sure understand why.

Cheers,

Mark

So strange to read the two extremes in reaction to this "offer". I went ahead and called and my name/address and email were taken. The said that I should take the book to the retail ooutlet I purchased it at. I bought my copy on Amazon. They then toook the information requested and, presto, I received a brand new 2nd edition 2nd printing copy in the mail today! Text is darker, and more legible, the dark brown Scarlet Tanager is now scarlet etc. Yay!!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back