• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Another bird Jorupe SW Ecuador (1 Viewer)

njlarsen

Gallery Moderator
Opus Editor
Supporter
Barbados
I am not sure about this one, and I do not really have other angles

Niels

Attachments

• Brown q 1 P1110911.JPG
    Brown q 1 P1110911.JPG
    193.5 KB · Views: 43
My first impression is a Puffbird stretching out of its normally squat seated position to check out something below.
Although I haven't seen one personally, what about White-whiskered at the S edge of range?
Cheers, Tim

Andy, you're probably right. Possibly the same bird as the OP's earlier post, but the OP will have a better feel for that. That bill looks spade-like but I guess that can be camera angle and some extra dimension hidden in the darker tones.
Cheers, Tim

And me: Niels why don't you think it's the same becard sp. as before?

It looks to me like there is a dark cap on this one.

A little more about the observation: the location was a few hundred meters away and a hundred meters lower elevation from the other bird. This one I wrote down as flycatcher sp while the other one I thought becard already in the field. Looking at the photos yesterday I realized it could be a becard, but not comfortable about it.

Niels

It looks to me like there is a dark cap on this one.

A little more about the observation: the location was a few hundred meters away and a hundred meters lower elevation from the other bird. This one I wrote down as flycatcher sp while the other one I thought becard already in the field. Looking at the photos yesterday I realized it could be a becard, but not comfortable about it.

Niels

No idea what is there but if it does have a dark cap, female Rose-throated Becard?

But that should not have the dark cap. Is there anything else than a Becard that should be considered?

Niels

>>should not have the dark cap...
I'm not sure it does. Looks like an artefact to me. Surely the apparently darker colour is in fact no darker than the wings we can see. If you agree, then that's fine for one-coloured B where the mantle is darker than the unders.

>>should not have the dark cap...
I'm not sure it does. Looks like an artefact to me. Surely the apparently darker colour is in fact no darker than the wings we can see. If you agree, then that's fine for one-coloured B where the mantle is darker than the unders.

That's what I thought.

I have zoomed in on all five images I got of this bird, four of them attached here. The fifth is a zoom in on the bird from the other thread, showing that the lower and the upper half of the head had the same color (and the middle had a darker color).

Niels

Attachments

• P1110910.JPG
    P1110910.JPG
    108.8 KB · Views: 3
  • P1110911.JPG
    P1110911.JPG
    137.3 KB · Views: 5
  • P1110912.JPG
    P1110912.JPG
    104.2 KB · Views: 7
  • P1110913.JPG
    P1110913.JPG
    107.9 KB · Views: 3
  • control P1110546.JPG
    control P1110546.JPG
    99.3 KB · Views: 2
Am I ridiculous for thinking Slaty B female for the bird of this thread? There seems to be something paler just above the bill leading back to the front of the eye, something the One-colored should not show.

Niels

I should have added: the cap seems to be darker than the underside in female Slaty to a larger extent than in One-colored

Last edited:
No idea what is there but if it does have a dark cap, female Rose-throated Becard?

One more note on this one: there is a relative called Pink-throated Becard on the east side of the Andes (this is some distance west of those)

Niels

Niels, I can't help with the id directly, but as somebody who spends a lot of time staring at her own sub-optimal photos, I think the `dark cap' is really just shadow in these photos.

Andrea

Niels, I can't help with the id directly, but as somebody who spends a lot of time staring at her own sub-optimal photos, I think the `dark cap' is really just shadow in these photos.

Andrea

The top of the head on my screen, is the same colour as the wings, a warm, almost chestnut colour and I'm confident it's no artefact.

Surely the plain face is a firm indicator for female One-coloured. The other species which should be present all have contrasting face patterns.

Stu

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back