• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Two Months of Lifers Down Under (1 Viewer)

A female Regent Bowerbird arrived, unaccompanied... at least for now. Then a lovely pair of Silvereyes sat together inspecting the water.

I was so hoping the Lace Monitor would come back, and he did... enjoying a drink and a swim. Suddenly we saw another one (rather larger too) coming across the open area and wondered if there would be fireworks.

The first one suddenly realised he was in danger and shot out of the pool back towards the trees, with the newcomer in hot pursuit! We lost sight of them, then one (presumably No 2) returned and had his drink. A good bit of action that LOL

Things settled down again until suddenly another new bird for me - a Scarlet Myzeloma. What a beauty! He didn't stay long unfortunately, and I only got two images of him.

Attachments

• BF Regent Bowerbird female thread.jpg
    BF Regent Bowerbird female thread.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 28
  • BF Silvereye thread.jpg
    BF Silvereye thread.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 34
  • BF Lace Monitor (goanna) thread.jpg
    BF Lace Monitor (goanna) thread.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 38
  • BF Lace Monitor (goanna) 2 thread.jpg
    BF Lace Monitor (goanna) 2 thread.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 36
  • BF Scarlet Myseloma thread.jpg
    BF Scarlet Myseloma thread.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 90
LOL Lisa.... I guess they really are. Fascinating creatures to watch and that session with them was a bit magical too.

Those Silvereyes and that Scarlet Myzeloma are such beautiful birds D. I trust we'll be seeing them as avatars before long ;)

Thanks KC.

Certainly I think the Silvereyes will work as an avatar, but not so sure about the myzeloma though. Hoping the Mistletoebird does!

Beautiful Mistletoe bird Delia, have only had one here for a very quick visit and only one pic LOL
The Scarlet Honeyeater takes my breath away as have only seen once, Pete and I drove for an hour and a half across town just to find it. Managed the male and female so well worth the trip!
Thanks for sharing all of the photos that you have taken! Avatar looks great!
Nora

Thanks Nora.... that male was the only one I saw on the trip and didn't see a female.A bit of a surprise, really, as they hadn't been in my thoughts at all.

About to show your pine cone;)

The male Regent Bowerbird finally arrived to see what his lady friend had been up to (though she had finished off the clementines that Hans had provided LOL).

Now a bit of a tidy-up. So decided to show you the Scarlet Myzemola in flight (not a great shot admittedly, but I was pleased to get it).

I'd found a fallen Bunya Pine cone, so squirrel-like, I collected it to find out what it was. This is very tiny, compared to the one that Nora sent me a picture of (posted with her agreement of course)... about a foot long!!! They are very heavy when full grown and dangerous when they fall as you can imagine.

Then, I thought you'd like to see another picture of the second Lace Monitor... the chase was on!!!

Attachments

• BF Regent Bowerbird male thread.jpg
    BF Regent Bowerbird male thread.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 31
  • BF Scarlet Myseloma flight thread.jpg
    BF Scarlet Myseloma flight thread.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 60
  • BF Bunya Pine Nut small thread.jpg
    BF Bunya Pine Nut small thread.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 24
  • BF Bunya Pine cone large Nora thread.jpg
    BF Bunya Pine cone large Nora thread.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 14
  • BF Lace Monitor 2 chase thread.jpg
    BF Lace Monitor 2 chase thread.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 65
Chosun asked a while ago about the size of this waterhole, don't really know the dimensions, but a couple of feet across I suppose.

However, here's two pictures, one showing it in context and trying to give an idea of the distance between my little hide, and the other a closely cropped image of the waterhole.

Attachments

• BF The water hole from the hide thread.jpg
    BF The water hole from the hide thread.jpg
    170.5 KB · Views: 67
  • BF The water hole close thread.jpg
    BF The water hole close thread.jpg
    161.7 KB · Views: 61
Back home for lunch and then time for garden watch.

But before finding a bird, two Eastern Striped Skinks walked down the path, obviously a male and female, judging by their behaviour!!;)

Then both male and female Superb Fairywrens came down to feed on some seeds put out by Hans. Up on the fence, apparently thinking it best to keep his back turned on all this couple action, was a Brown Honeyeater.

Off for a wander round the property now, and there was a small party of Maned Ducks on the front drive. It was beginning to cool down a bit and long shadows were developing.

Attachments

• BF Eastern Striped Skink thread.jpg
    BF Eastern Striped Skink thread.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 61
  • BF Superb Fairywren female thread.jpg
    BF Superb Fairywren female thread.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 23
  • BF Superb Fairywren Male thread.jpg
    BF Superb Fairywren Male thread.jpg
    187.6 KB · Views: 23
  • BF Brown Honeyeater thread.jpg
    BF Brown Honeyeater thread.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 18
  • BF Maned Duck thread.jpg
    BF Maned Duck thread.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 23
Really like the new Avatar, Delia. Splendid photos of the Superb Fairywrens, I think one of my favorites of the Australian birds. Cute ducks also.

Continuing my wander round the grounds and just about keeping the Maned Ducks company was the pretty Common Bronzewing. Sadly in the shade, so the pretty wing colours weren't shining.

A Red-necked Wallaby was browsing around the new trees which Hans had planted and a Willie Wagtail was sitting on top of a dead tree stump.

I then made my way to the top of the hill to look back over the grounds. When I arrived just about 3 weeks before that dam was completely empty, for a few days there was a decent amount of water held there.

Finally, as it was a new species for me, another picture of an Eastern Striped Skink.... boy they can't half move LOL.

Attachments

• BF Common Bronzewing thread.jpg
    BF Common Bronzewing thread.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 19
  • BF Red-necked Wallaby thread.jpg
    BF Red-necked Wallaby thread.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 10
  • BF Willie Wagtail thread.jpg
    BF Willie Wagtail thread.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 49
  • BF Hans & Judy's land thread.jpg
    BF Hans & Judy's land thread.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 42
  • BF Eastern Striped Skink thread.jpg
    BF Eastern Striped Skink thread.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 49
Bunya Mountains

21 October 2019

An early start as Hans and Judy had another adventure for me today!

An hour or so's drive brought us to the Bunya Mountain national park: https://osm.org/go/ucvyNf--?m=

We stopped in the village of Maidenwell for breakfast. OMG what a fabulous stop this was. Delicious food, and a great outlook with wonderful birds.

I start with an Apostlebird in the car park outside. But then we went in!

Hardly had time to get organised with refreshments and a seat when ... well my brain started whirling. Everything was happening so quickly.

A female Red-winged Parrot arrived for her breakfast. Then I took a moment out to take a picture of the pretty view we were looking at, with Jacaranda trees and Silky Oak in the wooded grounds. Then a handsome male Red-winged Parrot came to see what he was missing, followed shortly after by a Pale-headed Rosella.

Attachments

• BF Apostlebird thread.jpg
    BF Apostlebird thread.jpg
    178 KB · Views: 23
  • BF Red-winged Parrot thread female.jpg
    BF Red-winged Parrot thread female.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 43
  • BF Silky Oak and Jacaranda thread.jpg
    BF Silky Oak and Jacaranda thread.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 21
  • BF Red-winged Parrot male thread.jpg
    BF Red-winged Parrot male thread.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 58
  • BF Pale-headed Rosella thread.jpg
    BF Pale-headed Rosella thread.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 62
Thanks so much Keith and Chris.... your comments are much appreciated.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back