• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kowa 10.5x44 Genesis (1 Viewer)

bonesmalones

I own, or have owned these Japanese made binoculars:

Nikon EDG 8x32
Kowa Genesis 8.5x44
Kowa Genesis 10.5x44
Kite Bonelli 2.0 8x42
Kite Bonelli 2.0 10x42

They are all outstanding optics, each with their own particular character and compromises, and I could be happy with any one of them as my one and only binocular.

Having said all that, I find that the Kowa Genesis 10.5x44 is the one that fits me best. Looking through them is easy and by that I mean there's no struggling with eye placement, the picture is just there. It's bright, the resolution is excellent, almost to the edge. There's a nice 3D look to the view and the depth of field (what's in focus?) is amazing.

Disclaimer: This is my own experience, and is meant to help anyone thinking about Kowa binoculars. Your eyes might tell you something different.

Do you still have or use the EDG 8X32, now that is a nice glass. I have never handled a Kowa Genesis, but have heard good things about the on-axis resolution.

Andy W.

Do you still have or use the EDG 8X32, now that is a nice glass. I have never handled a Kowa Genesis, but have heard good things about the on-axis resolution.

Andy W.

I gave the Nikon EDG 8x32 to my son. That is another binocular where viewing is easy.

I always thought the 8.5x44 Kowa had great, easy views. If it had been lighter, I'd not have traded it - and now I wish I didn't, as my shoulder/core have healed some. I would put central resolution, microcontrast, and control of chromatic aberration up there with the absolute best models available. It lacked on brightness compared to some of the best (not to say it wasn't bright, though) and FoV, but overall it was a very well built, optically pleasing set of binoculars. If I find a used/sale one for a good price I'll probably jump on it...

I have the Kowa Genesis 8x33 and the Zeiss Conquest HD 8x32. I'll be selling the Zeiss. The Kowa is just so much more comfortable for me and I think I like the view better. The focus is a bit slower than the Zeiss. Same close focus, same angle of view.

While the Kowa eyecups do a good job, I also use a Bino Bandit eye shade on them and notice an improved contrast on sunny days when light might otherwise be leaking around the eyecups. It also replaced the rainguards (at least when its not raining :).

I have the Kowa Genesis 8x33 and the Zeiss Conquest HD 8x32. I'll be selling the Zeiss. The Kowa is just so much more comfortable for me and I think I like the view better. The focus is a bit slower than the Zeiss. Same close focus, same angle of view.

While the Kowa eyecups do a good job, I also use a Bino Bandit eye shade on them and notice an improved contrast on sunny days when light might otherwise be leaking around the eyecups. It also replaced the rainguards (at least when its not raining :).

Yeah I use them too. They do a good job of keeping out light and it does make a difference.

I have been an acknowledged Kowa fanboy on this forum for years and as own Kowa Genesis in 8.5X44, 10.5X44 and 8X33 as well as Zeiss SF's I have fun some days going back and forth trying to see differences. The kowas are slightly less bright but I'm not sure you would notice if you weren't going back and forth also I only notice on overcast days. I think the micro-contrast may be slightly better on the Kowas. Unlike any other bins I have ever used you can throw the Kowas to your eyes and there is no hunting for position the view is just there with no kidney beaning or adjusting the view. The most amazing thing is that they are half the price of the Zeiss.
Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back