• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Problems with Swaro scope and tripod head (1 Viewer)

joshjenkinsshaw

Kent Birder
Hello,
I received my new Swarovski ATS 65 HD this morning.
I already own a Manfrotto 700RC2 head and was hoping that i could just attatch the quick release plate to my swaro scope and slip it into the tripod head.
However, the release plate is too small for the swaro hole and will not screw into it. What can I do? Do i need a new tripod head?
Cheers

There should be a small silver threaded insert that goes into the foot of the Swaro and makes it the correct size for attaching a standard tripod plate (such as the Manfrotto one). This insert is normally in the Swaro when it ships, have a check in the box and see if it's come out and is in there. If not then get in touch with the shop you bought it from who should be able to send you one.

If the seller can't find it then they are very easy to get hold of, any decent camera shop should have them and they'll only cost ~£1. If you have problems getting one then drop me a PM.

IMO these 1/4" / 3/8" adapters are an abomination. Your valuable scope is then hanging on a couple of threads and it is no wonder we keep reading reports of damaged threads in scope feet. Good engineering practice would be 3/4" thread depth for a 3/8" thread but no scope, camera or tripod manufacture gets anywhere near this.
Best get a 3/8" adapter plate (Manfrotto part no. 200PL-38).

John

Josh,
Strange, that this illustration only shows two holes for the anti-rotation pin. Perhaps this is an old version. All my QR plates have three so that the plate can be fitted longitudinally or transversely. The plate fits longitudinally in your 700RC2 and I presume the mounting thread and pin hole in your scope are in the longitudinal axis so make sure you get a plate with three holes.

John

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back