• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski auto-ID Monoc (1 Viewer)

Chosun, What are your thoughts about the Hubble Space Telescope? 8-P
You cheeky b*gger ! that's an excellent point ..... I suppose that the number of physical senses are of necessity reduced (you can't 'touch' space with your bare hands, or take a deep lungfull of space - well not more than once anyway ! |:p| , I believe the silence in space is wonderful though ! , so we are left with sight, knowing etc - direct 'communion' is still possible ..... :)

As such I can give the Hubble a pass - I'm glad they fixed it's 'spectacles' up with the right prescription ..... and I do love the images it has managed so far and what this means to us ......

Infinity is pretty big ........ :cat:

So to be able to see a small subset of it is pretty special.

I am very much looking forward to first light from the James Webb Telescope ......... :t:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Webb_Space_Telescope

Chosun :gh:

Last edited:
During one discussion this Gen Y or something pup piped up and dropped the phrase relative truth or personal truth or some such nonsense in relation to facts ....... immediately you could see all the professionals (especially the journalists, lawyers etc) physically sit up eyes wide and say Whoa ! since when did that become a thing ?! Truth /facts are absolute. Only the individual perception of them is open to individual interpretation, not they themselves.
The fact that there's a reality out there for us to confront is really the central point of life (even the joy of birding!), which it would be sad to lose sight of. That said, I suppose how people use ID apps is up to them. The real problem isn't the apps, but the general decline of critical awareness and thinking that they may play into. The Internet itself would be a much more positive and useful thing if those skills had been better maintained.

At least I hope the apps offer more than one possible ID to choose from?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back