• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My first Kingfisher (1 Viewer)

Terry O'Nolley

Cow-headed Jaybird
I went back to that small pond about a 15 minute walk from my home hoping to see the Green herons again but no such luck.

I sat down near the water and waited and watched and after about 15 minutes something falling from a tree caught my eye. I barely had time to glance over at it when it crashed into the water! For a second I thought maybe a kid had thrown a rock into the pond but then I saw this bird fly out of the water and perch atop a sign about 20 meters away from me.

I looked at him (her - she had a rufous belly band) and instantly made the identification (kind of a hard bird to misidentify :D).

I was treated to 4 or 5 more dive-bomb attacks into the water but I never saw the Kingfisher come away with a fish.

That small pond never fails me! It is surrounded on 3 sides by narrow strips of trees with condo complexes behind the trees and the 4th side is right next to a street. It is only about 50 meters wide by 75 meters long but I have seen Great Blue Herons, Green Herons (including juveniles), Canada Geese and now a Kingfisher!

Hi Terry,
Yeah,Kingfishers are wonderful birds.I never tire of watching them.For those of us non U.S.birders,when you say Kingfisher("she had a rufous belly band"),are you referring to a female Belted Kingfisher/Ceryle alcyon?

Last edited:
Mark Bruce said:
Hi Terry,
Yeah,Kingfishers are wonderful birds.I never tire of watching them.For those of us non U.S.birders,when you say Kingfisher("she had a rufous belly band"),are you referring to a female Belted Kingfisher/Ceryle alcyon?

Indeed I am - I should have mentioned that.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back