• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds you could watch for hours and hours... (1 Viewer)

Patudo

sub-200 birding aspirant
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I wanted to ask how long most of you would typically observe an individual bird (assuming the bird lets you do so). Do you tend to observe till you have a solid ID, then move on looking for the next species? Are there particular species that are more interesting and that you could happily observe for hours?

I think virtually every instance I've seen an Eurasian hobby (Falco subbuteo) I have tried my best to stay on it until it disappeared. In most cases this was only a few minutes and sometimes just a few seconds, but I think I could watch this species, if the opportunity presented itself, for as long as I could hold my binoculars to my eyes. The graceful flight and that combination of agility and speed they have are most compelling.

Regards

patudo

At the moment, anything that moves!

Seriously, taking the time to watch Carrion Crows interacting in a group and trying to work out what they are saying, what their moves mean, how the pecking order works....

Woodpigeon displays to mates. What turns the trick? Why does a female flail a wing at the suitor for twenty minutes then change her mind (or not, just fly off... or fly a little way and let him start again!)

Why does a Robin bob AT ME????

Time, there's never enough time. Now if I could talk to the animals....

John

Auks for me. And Fulmars.

I have always preferred to spend my time observing common birds for extended periods of time rather than being concerned with the number of species seen. I've done a bit of listing in the last few weeks but the novelty has worn off very quickly. I really want to go to a seabird colony just forty miles away and spend the whole day watching auks, kittiwakes and fulmars but it's out of bounds at the moment.

Spent many a happy hour sitting on the deck of a ship watching Cory's Shearwater wheeling past.
Hypnotic, relaxing and plenty of fresh sea air.
Won't be doing that again any time soon!

Last edited:
Perhaps slightly different, but I never get bored of seeing Med Gulls, even though they are sometimes more abundant than Black-headed Gulls here, whereas Little and even Cattle Egrets are more or less "meh" these days.

Sanderlings, hummingbirds, sunbirds, treecreepers and the interactions and behaviours of all my garden birds - which reminds me, must go and fill the bird bath. :)

Hobby for me too, and skuas.

Two uninspiring ticks, Franklin’s Gull on Teeside and the Yarmouth Great Knot, were both totally upstaged by adult Long-tailed Skuas seen the same day.

Probably most entertaining ever Hobbies were two that joined a flock of Black-headed Gulls hawking insects. The Gulls tried to mob the Hobbies, but when they flew at them squawking, the Hobbies just disdainfully flicked their wingtips and were instantly metres away.

What a great idea for a thread and, as always, I concur muchly with what FJ said. Behaviour of common stuff is great to observe. Having lived primarily in north-east and extreme south-west UK, I still feel after almost 40 years birdwatching I haven't seen enough of Hobbies. Usually only see 1-2/year, if I'm lucky, and always disappearing after a minute or so at most. Could definitely do with getting to know them a bit more.

A White-rumped Sandpiper I came across in NE England many years ago, I remember spending a total of about 20 hours watching over the course of a fortnight; a Semi-pee on Scilly 1986 12 hours over the course of a week (those were the days I used to keep notes of dates, times, companions in the field etc so the total hours is accurately recorded). These days, less rarity orientated I find it hard to not look at every Chiffchaff in late October/early November, not for racial ID purposes just the thrill of seeing such delicate beauty. I feel guilty when putting my bins down and walking away from Goldfinches, but...you know...you have to just to get on with life sometimes...

Lots and lots of birds really, but ain't it nice to see nobody's come up with Great Black Backed Gull (or any of its cohorts) so far in the thread. In a World Gone Mad it's good to know some common sense still prevails o:)

(NB. GBBGull cohorts does not include Med Gull or anything similar-sized. We all understand that distinction, I hope, don't we)

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back