Thread: 2019 UK Orchids
View Single Post
Old Monday 12th August 2019, 09:46   #135
Bodhyfryd

Quote:
Originally Posted by muba View Post
For those within hopping distance of Wrexham I recommend a visit to Minera Lead Mines. In the vicinity of the visitor centre and along the trackbed of the old mineral railway to just past the road to World's End are thousands of Broad-leaved Helleborines. Just past that road I stood and counted 200 hundred spikes before I gave up. They range in colour from the palest lemon yellow to the deepest purple. If you can't make it this weekend then pencil it in for 2020.
(a week on from Steve's posting) Just to confirm - yes, a wonderful show, although they are of course generally beginning to be just past their best now and some well over. And yes, there are some very nice pale specimens. It really is worth a walk from the Minera Lead Mines to Minera Quarry.

Martin

PS Thanks to Muba and to Rich for keeping this site alive and kicking. We continue to find the discussion invaluable especially as we are somewhat confined for health reasons to our patch here in N.E.Wales and are continuing our quasi-Luddite abstention from (some aspects of) social media!