• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

x32 SF: the waiting begins (1 Viewer)

Wouldn't you say the new Zeiss 8x42 SF is an improvement in ergonomics over the older 8x42 FL? For some people maybe the older FL is preferred. You can't please everybody with a new product but you try.

Dennis,

Agree, the 42 SF is improved over the FL both optically an ergonomically. While i would welcome any optical improvement in the 32, changes in the ergonomics may well be required by the improved optics as well as by purely ergonomic design considerations. If the excellent ergonomics of the 32 are improved overall as well whatever the reason, so much the better.

That said, I do agree with a few others here - I still love the FL look in the 32. Somehow it still looks great and powerful in it's short squat format, while the 42 does look dated as some others say, even a little awkward now to me.

Mike

The 32mm SF will most likely be a scaled down version of the 42mm SF just like the 32mm FL is a scaled down version of the 42mm FL. It will use field flatteners, a magnesium body and have the weight forward balance of the bigger SF. The FL is definitely in need of an update to keep up with the technology. It will have a more ergonomic design just like the bigger SF and a bigger FOV. I would guess on the new SF 8x32 Zeiss would reach for at least a 450 foot FOV if not more. I don't see it weighing anymore than the current FL and maybe less with a slimmer design even though it will be magnesium. Zeiss is very forward thinking so you could see some totally new technology used. It will be a very exciting binocular.
Dennis, I think you wrote this at a dizzying altitude way up in the Rockies :bounce: , or you've been hanging out with folk who indulge in Colorado's "liberal" laws just a bit too much :hippy: , coz that statement is just a little *ssbackwards (about 100% ! :). I know what you meant though ;)

It's good to see that copious amounts of $ spent by the Zeiss Marketing team, and the endless volumes written by it's 'brand ambassadors' haven't gone to waste - NOT ! :-O

Chosun :gh:

.... It will be interesting to see if they can achieve any improvements in balance in the smaller frame 32mm like they did with the 42mm. That will be a challenge.
As the x32 models are considerably shorter to begin with, the balance question is much less critical.
I'm remaining neutral in this one (so I suppose I'm siding with the Swiss on this !). I agree with Dennis though that it will be difficult to replicate the pure 42mm SF formula in 32mm though while retaining an expected 32mm physical size range. However, given the weights involved, achieving the 'formula' is a lot less necessary .....

Has anyone in the history of the world ever complained about the ergonomics and 'balance' of the Swarovski 32mm SV for example ? I think not ...... :smoke:

The current binocular format poll here on BF shows the current leader with nearly 25% of votes cast is 8x32. I'm sure Zeiss Sports Optics have enough sales and marketing data and projections to reflect that this format will be very popular even at the alpha scenario.
Yep - and with world population increasing by more than ~10% since the conception of the 42mm SF, I seriously do not see how it becomes a matter of 'replacing' the 32mm FL with any SF. Have your cake and eat it too ! :eat:

There's plenty of room in the market (and plenty of market) to have a compact upgraded 32mm FL (simples - HT glass, and the odd little tweak here and there), and a completely new open frame 32mm SF. Honestly Zeiss - just send me the cheque already ! ;)

'Lost' leads to Elizabeth Mitchell who I am sure could do a mean Lauren Bacall if required.

Lee

Lee, I do believe that Kevin nailed the concept beautifully !

Apart from a few obvious qualifications you've lost me again - in fact I think Lost lost me long before that ! Since you've sidetracked into fairy tales and alien invasions, I'd suggest a modern twist altogether more sultry in the form of Lana Parrilla (perhaps?) or definitely Morena Baccarin ..... now that would be risking life and limb - literally ! :eek!:

Last edited:
Lee, I do believe that Kevin nailed the concept beautifully !

Apart from a few obvious qualifications you've lost me again - in fact I think Lost lost me long before that ! Since you've sidetracked into fairy tales and alien invasions, I'd suggest a modern twist altogether more sultry in the form of Lana Parrilla (perhaps?) or definitely Morena Baccarin ..... now that would be risking life and limb - literally ! :eek!:

Actually it has been you who has led the diversions. First you sidetracked us into the topics of elves by calling Cate Blanchette an elf which provoked my mention of a certain glamorous elf in The Hobbit, then it was you who mentioned Lost and of course Elizabeth Mitchell starred in it. Until now we haven't touched on alien invasions yet except, wait a moment, you mentioned them. :-O

Lana Parrilla and Morena Baccarin are certainly both worthy of inclusion in any scrapbook of screen sirens.

Lee

Last edited:
I guess I'll have to watch fewer birds and more TV to follow this.;)

I've had the 32FL and the 32SV for years and years. Still no comparison, for me anyway.

Zeiss must be working on an FL replacement. It would be foolish not to.

Mark

"Once Upon a Time" , and "V" they variously all played parts ..... and "Lost" really did lose me - as a viewer ! :-O

I think we can all agree 'Lost' lost the plot quite literally when it came to the final season. Still a fine imaginative show taken overall.

Lee

I've had the 32FL and the 32SV for years and years. Still no comparison, for me anyway.

Mark

You are so right Mark the overlong (138mm) and overweight (595g) glare-monster that is the EL SV is easily outshone by the compact (117mm) lightweight (550g) glare- and chromatic aberration-free Zeiss FL. :king:

Lee
(Just yanking your chain Dude :t:)

"Dennis, I think you wrote this at a dizzying altitude way up in the Rockies , or you've been hanging out with folk who indulge in Colorado's "liberal" laws just a bit too much , coz that statement is just a little *ssbackwards (about 100% ! :). I know what you meant though."

You forget Marijuana is legal here!:king:

You are so right Mark the overlong (138mm) and overweight (595g) glare-monster that is the EL SV is easily outshone by the compact (117mm) lightweight (550g) glare- and chromatic aberration-free Zeiss FL. :king:

Lee
(Just yanking your chain Dude :t:)
That was a decidedly biased statement!:-O

Mark
Mark, I am curious why you kept 8x32 FL all these years if you think the 8x32 SV is superior?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back