• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Monterey County, California (1 Viewer)

ekopa

Hello!

Please help me identify a few birds from Monterey County, California. All photographed in July

1-3 Different birds. All House Finches?
4 ?
5 ? Have a few very similar photos of this hawk hidden by branches. They didn't add much information

Thank you!

Attachments

• 1E6A2956.jpg
    1E6A2956.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 54
  • 1E6A2958.jpg
    1E6A2958.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 53
  • 1E6A3011.JPG
    1E6A3011.JPG
    446.2 KB · Views: 73
  • 1E6A3034.JPG
    1E6A3034.JPG
    136.9 KB · Views: 84
  • 1E6A3269.JPG
    1E6A3269.JPG
    768.4 KB · Views: 150
Agree with House Finch for 1-3; 4 is one of the bunting species, maybe Lazuli Bunting? I think 5 is a Red-shouldered.

I think 1 & 3 are House Finches (lack strong face pattern and have extensively streaked undertail coverts). 2 is a Purple Finch. 4 is a California Towhee. 5 is Red-shouldered Hawk.

I'd say 1 and 3 are Purple Finches because of the hint of a pale eyebrow, short and thinner streaks on the underside, raised crest, and less-rounded beak.

I agree with jmorlan and Jeff on House Finch for #1 and #3. Also, the curved culmen in #1 points to House Finch. Neither of the birds seems to have a week pale crescent below the eye which the 2nd edition Sibley illustrates for Purple Finch.

Strictly speaking of picture 3 of the original post, I am posting a picture of a female Purple Finch I took for comparison. I really think the facial pattern in the OP #3 is similar and would call it Purple Finch.

The angle in #1 makes it a little harder to see, but I am leaning toward Purple as well.

Attachments

• purple_finch6.jpg
    purple_finch6.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 17
Nice photo of Purple Finch showing the unstreaked undertail coverts. Juv. House Finches have a narrow pale supercilium. Tail of #4 is quite long. Proportions and lack of dorsal streaking eliminate any typical finches and I think are a good fit for California Towhee which I see every day in my yard.

Not sure if it will help - the only other photos of #1 and #3 that I have

Attachments

• 1E6A2955.JPG
    1E6A2955.JPG
    333.5 KB · Views: 17
  • 1E6A3014.JPG
    1E6A3014.JPG
    473.4 KB · Views: 18
About half of the female California Purple Finches (Haemorhous purpureus californicus) will show some (usually limited) undertail streaking regardless of age whereas all House Finches show extensive undertail streaking. The narrow supercilium shown by birds #1 & #3 are rather faint and marked by internal brown streaking typical of juvenile House Finch. These juvenile markings are called "stipes." On Purple Finch the supercilium is usually broader and lacks obvious internal streaking.

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/House_Finch/id
https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/House_Finch/media-browser/63736721

Another difference is the bold white malar with contrasting lateral throat stripes that Purple Finch show and which are obsolete on House Finch.

https://www.sibleyguides.com/wp-content/uploads/369_Sib-Birds.jpg

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back