• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lisboa, Portugal (1 Viewer)

mordovarot

Hi,
Need help, can't sleep ;)
I was near the Lisbon aquarium (yesterday) and saw a bird flew over the river, not far from the bank. Pretty big with contrasting white-black wings. First thought was a pelican... Then I get through the list of common birds of this area and the closest match was a flamingo.
And now is a question (stupid, of course) - what could it be? I haven't seen long neck and legs, but all the other fits the flying flamingo from the videos in the Web.
Many thanks,
Viktor

Flamingos do occur around there, but it seems very odd to me that you didn't notice long legs and neck. Were you far from the bird, or was the bird seen without binoculars. Flamingos have a very characteristic flight action, not very similar to that of a pelican. Pelicans are not unheard at the Tagus estuary (the last ones I recall were in the 90's) but should not be expected at all, they're major rarities/vagrants in Portugal (or rarely seen escaped birds ;) ). Could it have been a late Shelduck? Not usually present on that bit of the estuary though. A bit difficult to offer more help without some more detailed info, I'm afraid...

Thanks Rafael,
To be honest I never seen both of mentioned pelican and flamingo. And yes, I was without binoculars, just my eyes from some 50 meters... Sheldock is an option, it was on my mind, but the size...
Anyway I appreciate your help, Rafael.

It's really surprising about size perspective Rafael and that is why one has to think of black and white waterside birds.
As a youngster I remember a friend and I seeing our first ever Kingfisher, probably aged 7 years old (1962). He couldn't get over how small it was and genuinely thought it would be the size of a crow. But we were young and innocently exploring the world.
The other extreme was recalled to me by a dear friend when he was part of a County recording team. He was asked to investigate a report of a black headed bird coming regularly to feed from a bird table. No, said the elderly observer, during a telephone conversation, it wasn't a CoalTit, nor Sparrow, Bunting or Finch. Sure enough when he arrived, not long after being offered a cuppa, the mysterious bird started feeding from the bird table.

A Black Crowned Crane.

And neither a white stork, trust me :) But I agree, not enough confidence in flamingo... :(

But if you're still around Lisbon and want to see flamingos, just 3 km north of the Aquarium spot up to 200 have been seen recently at the mouth of Trancão river. It's very easy to get there in a short walk.
See here for the latest spots: https://ebird.org/map/grefla3?neg=t...mr=1-12&bmo=1&emo=12&yr=all&byr=1900&eyr=2019
Check the ebird lists for other species present around there. It's an almost urban setting but it holds a considerable species diversity.
I hope you enjoyed the Oceanario/aquarium as well!

Although its clearly impossible to ID the bird with certainty (no offense), two species that fits the description havent yet been mentioned: Ruddy Shelduck and Egyptian Goose, the latter is the bigger bird.
The bodycolour of Ruddy is closer to flamingos (in tone), but Egyptian is a closer match in "darkness value".
Another possibility is Cape shelduck, but this species is much rarer in Europe.

Was it one of those?

You know, as more time passes as less confidence remains and details in my memory... :)
Now I can say that it could be one of 5 or 7 species. Damn it! :))) But it's ok, this is a part of the game, right? :)
Never go on vacation without binoculars, even if it short! It'll be my rule from now on.
I really appreciate your help guys, thank you so much.
Cheers,
Viktor

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back