• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (27 Viewers)

Saw Long-billed Dowitcher this evening and very nice it was too. 5 Curlew Sandpipers also present.

Cheers,

Ditto (Long Billed Dowitcher), only just before Connor!!!;):t: and 5 curlew sandpipers. Lots of waders generally, but light fading fast and raining. Counted 22 little egrets. Got soaked going back to carpark, hair dripping like rats tails! Typical, all the times I have haversack with waterproofs in, the rare time I don't, it tips down, never mind, excellent tick to start my holiday and thank you to the man in the hide who refound it amongst the knot and then joined the gulls;)

Out early tomorrow - in hope!

Have to find someone on my travels tomorrow to help me attach FSA1 and 2 and FSB 6 to my ED50 and Nikon P5000, as I have not worked out how it all fits together yet!!! - might have to call in to Cleyspy for some expert help.

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

If there is anyone out there who had good views of the egret over the reserve today could they let me have a description or some notes on the bird so I can submit it to the county recorder they would be gratefully recieved. All county rarities, which this bird is, would need some further info before I will submit the record for Titchwell.

Any info can be dropped off to me via the Titchwell visitor centre

Thanks

Paul, reserve warden.

2000th post on the Norfolk thread!! :t:

Long Billed Dowitcher still at Titchwell today, though distant and hiding. Flew at around3:30ish and know one saw where it went. Also saw a Bittern fly over the reedbed, which was a lifer (as was LB Dowitcher). Curlew Sands, Spotshanks and large numbers of Knots and Bar Tailed Godwits also around. 1 Arctic Skua, Eiders, Red Throated Divers and Razorbills on the sea.

Jason

Just got back from a week in Norfolk,highlight being the L.B.Dowitcher at Titchwell on Friday.was in the hide when the Egret came past and was one of the people to see it first.It was definitely bigger than a Little Egret with long black legs trailing behind with no sign of yellow feet(didn't notice bill colour).Had the camera but didn't get a photo.Did manage to get some of the L.B.D. but found out later that I'd had my camera on the wrong settings so not too good.Managed to see Little Stint and Curlew Sandpiper at Titchwell,Snowbunting at Salthouse.Seawatch at Holme on Tuesday produced Arctic Skua and Great Skua but no Shearwaters.Also managed to get the Sacred Ibis just in case;)

Attachments

• Norfolk Sept2007 csp2.jpg
    Norfolk Sept2007 csp2.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 124
  • Norfolk Sept2007 197.JPG
    Norfolk Sept2007 197.JPG
    55.5 KB · Views: 122
  • Norfolk Sept2007 257.jpg
    Norfolk Sept2007 257.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 112
Well what an interesting day... Felt very happy in the morning as I was very fortunate in many respects, with much luck, until my luck began to run out at about 4:30pm!

Started the day in the Paddocks at Home at c. 7:45am. Quite a few birds in there with 8 Blackcaps, 3 Chiffchaffs, 8 Song Thrush, 2 Mistle Thrush, 15 Greenfinch, 1 Jay, 2 Great-spotted Woodpeckers and had both Redwing and Siskin south, with at least 100 Pink-footed Geese in various directions. Then continued onto the car-park next to the toliet block, where nailed Tree Sparrow. Viz-mig was reasonable on Gore Point with 40 Greenfinch, 100 Meadow Pipit, 15 Chaffinch, 20 Linnet and 3 more Siskins. A brief sea-watch off the golf-course produced 50+ Razorbill and 20+ Gannets, as well as a single Arctic Skua and 2 Red Throated Divers.

Walking along the main track produced 2 Greenshanks and a Sparrowhawk before I entered the NWT Forestry (at 10 on the dot, honest gov ;) !). Walked through the reed-bed entrance and as I stepped through some long grass flushed a superb Short-eared Owl from under my feet which then sat out on the marsh for about 10mins o:). Still revelling in my owl experience someone pulls up and says they had a Clouded Yellow Butterfly further along the track. On arrival I get good views but it dissapears, before another BF member arrives :eek!:!

I searched for this without sucess before re-entering the forestry where I sat down on the bank with two BF members! More Chiffchaffs and Blackcaps appear before a superb ten minutes produced a really nice Garden Warbler, 5 Redpoll west and another or the same Clouded Yellow flew through :t:! 4 Reed Buntings and another Greenshank were seen soon afterwards.

The afternoon sea-watch was extremely productive with an incredible 500 Razorbill at high tide as well as 320 Gannet (with at least 300 of these just sat on the sea!), 4 Guillemots, 6 Artic Skuas, 9 summer plumaged Red Throated Divers, 1 juv. Actic Tern, 12 Common Terns, 4 Sandwich Terns, 200 Common Scoter, 8 Wigeon, 16 Eider and 2 Med Gulls (1ad. 1 2nd year). Having done an hour and a half sea-watching I left, only for someone who stayed behind to see 3 Manx Shearwaters:eek!:. On hearing this news I have a brief conversation in the obs before heading out to the sea again, only to hear I have missed an adult Long Tailed Skuas by about a minute :C!

3 Marsh Harriers and a Kestrel were seen near the NOA observatory, while someone else reported a male Hen Harrier earlier in the day near the NWT pay-hut. 1 Rock Pipit and 2 Pied Wagtails flew west over the dunes.

After sea-watching deceide against visiting Titchwell RSPB for second-helpings of the Dowitcher and thus miss the White-rumped Sandpiper!:egghead:

For compressed list and recent moth photos visit my website.

Cheers,

Last edited:
A pretty spectacular, fiery sunrise here this morning but within a half hour a thick fog was descending. Did manage Wheatear, Blackcap and 2 Arctic Skuas though. Also Lesser Whitethroat, 2 Chiffchaff and 20 Pink-feet during the afternoon. Robins seem to be rather abundant now too..

James

Last edited:
oops... i was at titchwell earlier today and saw a funny peep... do pictures or a description of the white rumped sand exist? If they do i might be able to salvage a lifer out of today?

Holme - 7.40am

Driving from King's Lynn in fog!!!, I came through Ringstead and saw 14 yellow hammers! Arrived at Holme and parked by toilet block and walked across golf course. Quite foggy still, but managed to see 4 red throated divers, 2 guillemots and 5 gannets through the mist. A skein of pink feet flew over the beautiful morning sky, calling as they went. 2 lots of dog walkers out already, putting up the waders:C Had 1 black cap in gorse on main beach path, 2 goldfinches on bushes on golf course, heard a green woodpecker, 1 robin, 2 house sparrows. Picked car up and went down Firs road and had a quick look in Redwell hide and saw 6 egyptian geese. Then carried along road and saw 2 chiffchaffs by Sandyridge (just before payhut), 1 blackbird and then parked by 5-bar gate. Stood on bank overlooking saltings and walked left behind bunglows (paddocks) and saw 2 more blackcaps (female), 1 whitethroat, 5 little egrets, another 50 pinkfeet adorned the skies, 1 wren. Walked through village carpark and back round along Firs road, saw 12 greenfinch in a hawthorn bush, 8 chaffinches, 2 blue tits, 1 mistle thrush. In forestry 10.10am (just after Mr jammy Connor;) flushed a short eared owl!!!! and shortly after that saw a clouded yellow!!!!), 7 hedge sparrows, met up with Chris M, saw 2 sparrowhawks, 100+ golden plover, then Connor joined us, bril views of garden warbler in the sunshine and then suddenly Chris said in a raised voice 'Clouded Yellow' and had brief but lovely view!!!!!. 2 seperate lots of dog walkers with several dogs off leads bounded in the forestry area, Chris politely pointed out to them where the main coast path was and that they should be on leads! 2 curlew flew over, another 92 pinkfeet (yes I counted every one!), a weasel scurrying by the deep set pond. 5 redpolls flew over, 2 great spotted woodpeckers and 1 greenshank calling. We all parted and went different directions and I saw from coastal path along with 2 other birders, 1 dark phase and 1 light phase arctic skuas chasing terns relentlessly along the shore. Other butterflies today, comma, tortoiseshell, red admiral, 2 speckled woods and lots of dragonflies. Took car down to NOA carpark and had short lunch and then walked directly over bank opp. carpark and was absolutely amazed by the number of gannets and razorbills on the sea - I counted 185 gannets and 147 razorbills just in a small area between two lots of pines just to left of NWT steps down to beach (from coastal path)!!!!!!, also 5 sanderling. I have never in all my life seen this many birds just sitting on the sea, which was almost like a mill pond today. I carried on up to the observatory and shortly after that Jed, Sophie, Connor and some other people went and seawatched. I couldn't be bothered to count anymore, (see NOA website) but there were hundreds of gannets and guillemots, the sight was something I will never forget, also one Med gull. 1 little grebe on broadwater and 8 goldfinches near NWT feeders.

Went on to Titchwell to see if I was lucky enough to see the LBD a 2nd time, but not lucky! I did not hear/see anything about a white rumped sandpiper!!!!! (see Connor's post today 2005) The carpark was still packed at 5pm! Walked round the Fen Trail, but it was quiet now, couple of chaffinches, pair marsh harriers from Fen Hide. In the first field at beginning of main beach path was at least a 100 lapwing which was beautiful to see. Walked along main path, tons of waders including avocets, little egrets, gulls, wigeon, red shank, curlew sands, lapwing etc etc. On the beach, again loads of birds including oystercatchers and gulls, few smart grey plover, turnstones, sanderling, ringed plover etc etc in a feeding frenzy by tideline. 3 eiders on the sea and TONS of midges!!! Walked back along bank. No one had seen the Long Billed Dowitcher - some had had distant views. A very nice man (who I know) helped me put my new digi-scoping bits and pieces together, so will be practising next week in my holiday. Working tomorrow all day, so something good will turn up somewhere!

Last edited:
A very nice man (who I know) helped me put my new digi-scoping bits and pieces together, so will be practising next week in my holiday. Working tomorrow all day, so something good will turn up somewhere!

Nice read Penny, still have yet to explore Holme!

Looking forward to seeing some pics from you (once you've got the hang of all that kit!;))

Matt

After seeing the LB Dowitcher Friday night, I returned to have another look on Saturday morning before driving to Salthouse and back to Holkham. I failed to see the Snow goose at Holkham but was lucky to see it in flight from Burnham Norton along with several other birders as it flew with thousands of Pink-feet. In the evening I finished the day at Titchwell in the reed-bed hide, where 41 Little Egrets came into roost along with the Cormorants. Amazing!

I also spotted you walking up the path Penny! but like you did not hear any news about a White-rumped Sandpiper! grrr...

Sue

After seeing the LB Dowitcher Friday night, I returned to have another look on Saturday morning before driving to Salthouse and back to Holkham. I failed to see the Snow goose at Holkham but was lucky to see it in flight from Burnham Norton along with several other birders as it flew with thousands of Pink-feet. In the evening I finished the day at Titchwell in the reed-bed hide, where 41 Little Egrets came into roost along with the Cormorants. Amazing!

I also spotted you walking up the path Penny! but like you did not hear any news about a White-rumped Sandpiper! grrr...

Sue

Hi Sue

Sorry, I didn't see you!!!

There was a bog standard farmyard goose flying with loads of pinkfeet over Titchwell too!

On news services this morning:
Long Billed Dowitcher still at Titchwell RSPB this morning.

2 Pec Sands Hickling Broad on Rush Hill Scrape

Lesser Snow Goose Holkham NNR + Redstart at west end.

Cheers

Good day out yesterday. Caught up with the Dowitcher, saw the Snow Goose again, unexpectedly the sacred ibis at Stiffkey fresh marsh and had a pom skua fly past Cley in the evening. Also an amazing incident at Burnham Marshes involving a stoat with a baby water vole in its mouth being chased by a very belligerent looking mother.

BTW - this Wednesday might be good for seawatching, particularly if it rains overnight.

Nice one. I'll try and post advance warnings when weather's looking good for seawatching or falls. I'm still learning, so don't always get it right.

BTW, not looking much use for either, with looking for American waders, probably the best option at the moment. Another Pec sand or White-rumped or Baird's the most likely candidates - somewhere on a north coast freshmarsh or Rush Hill, although it may be worth scanning the golden plover flocks as they build up for AGP. Kerry is clearly the place to be for all that rather than Norfolk though!

Failing that, also worth scanning the arriving Teal and Wigeon for Green-winged and American. Buckenham the best place to do this I reckon. Continental stuff from further south also a possibility. Southern or lesser grey shrike or GW Egret? Long-stayers such as fudge duck are always worth looking for. Black Brant should be in soon too.

Might as well pat myself on the back:) Got the American waders right with the LB dowitcher and Pec sands turning up. Also got the fudge duck and GW egret right!

Was gonna say similar about wednesday; nw winds good for seabirds, yeah? Might try and wangle myself a spot in the blakeney point seawatching shed, hopefully with some experienced eyes to help me pick out the Balearics and Great Shearwaters, and maybe the odd albatross :p

Jason

Might as well pat myself on the back:) Got the American waders right with the LB dowitcher and Pec sands turning up. Also got the fudge duck and GW egret right!

:clap: ;) Well done Ilya - please predict some birds for my holiday next week and which days/times please!!!!!!! Sophie - AW at Holme also said Wednesday could be good for seawatching.

managed to do some birding this weekend - the only person who didn't twitch the dow it seems...?

24 Cranes yesterday morning and three Arctic Terns at Horsey giving a great display. Pecs still at Hickling in the afternoon and a Little Stint.

lots of Razors and RTDs but only a few common migs like Yellow Wags etc..

weds looking good for seawatching

well it took me three days but I finally got over to Titchwell for the dowitcher, a nice addition to my Norfolk list. Initially view were very distant but latter on it came in close, just a shame the light was so poor. Also had 9 curlew sand a 4 little stints on the fresh marsh. Loads of stuff on the sea - 9 eider, 6 gc grebe, 5 rt diver, 3 arctic skua, 1 guillemot and loads of razoerbill and gannets.

Attachments

• lbdowitcher_230907_0025.jpg
    lbdowitcher_230907_0025.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 123

Users who are viewing this thread

Back