• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New pentax 65EDA-II eyepeice lock ring stuck. (1 Viewer)

sixtus

Bought it yesterday, had enjoyed the straight angled version in the past and always wanted the angled for easier viewing along with some casual stargazing.

Got it home, was unable to loosen or move the eyepiece retention or lock ring, whatever its called . I called the store who are a camera retailer and not knowledgeable on them and was referred to the warranty technicians in another city. While they haven't had a chance to examine it yet they advised its clearly faulty and to return it for exchange.

Good service but a little dissappointing as the 65ED doesn't seem to attract many bad purchase reports. It did this time. I guess anything mass produced will turn up fails eventually.

When you received the scope, was the eyepiece installed, or are you trying to loosen the retainer to remove the shipping plug?

Bought it yesterday.
Got it home, was unable to loosen or move the eyepiece retention or lock ring, whatever its called . I called the store who are a camera retailer and not knowledgeable on them and was referred to the warranty technicians in another city. While they haven't had a chance to examine it yet they advised its clearly faulty and to return it for .

Hi ... I have handled many of the little Pentax. From experience, it’s pretty easy to over tighten that locking ring. Try removing the small screws on top of the locking ring, which will enable you to better see and feel if the mechanism that screws up and down is at fault. Just be careful not to loose those small screws. One time I over tighten that ring and when I took the lock ring cover off (that’s all it is ) I was able to loosen it back to normal.

Thanks folks it was returned today. I'm in a fairly very remote region support wise so decided its easier to start over given the option.

Thanks folks it was returned today. I'm in a fairly very remote region support wise so decided its easier to start over given the option.

Just remember ..... that locking ring just needs a little snug turn to tighten the eyepiece in place.

Thanks I've owned the Pentax 65 in years past as mentioned. I wont' be buying another at this stage as I got a full refund. When checking out this fault online I noticed the reports of this scope snapping in half due to its plastic threaded midsection. No longer interested in the Pentax 65

Thanks I've owned the Pentax 65 in years past as mentioned. I wont' be buying another at this stage as I got a full refund. When checking out this fault online I noticed the reports of this scope snapping in half due to its plastic threaded midsection. No longer interested in the Pentax 65

If you can find the updated version of the Pentax PF ED, the Pentax PR ED sold outside of the USA ...... Its built like a tank with a redesigned body which is as indestructible as your ever going to find. Plus its optics are of high quality. I owned the 65mm version. I think this scope could survive the most extreme handling of all the spotting scopes I have ever handled.

Thanks Gcole sounds interesting. id say they dont bring them in here either and the pentax distributor only honors warranty for units it brings in. I could never get a straight answer in advance as to who to seek international warranty from for 'grey imports'( one offs) landed in Australia.

For an out of USA product for example, where would you send yours? An international center or Richoh in the USA? Be interested to know if there is an international option which is verified by use.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back