• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

BOW Key (1 Viewer)

Bulletin 7: ... more recent additions and supplemental material

Malacurus
(syn. Malurus † Superb Fairy-wren M. cyaneus) Gr. μαλακος malakos soft; ουρα oura tail; probably a lapsus for misremembered Malurus; "Unserer Schwanz- und Bartmeise der Gestalt nach fast in gleichem Grade ähnlich, wiewohl anders gefärbt, ist ein Vögelchen aus Neuholland, der Flor-schweif, (Malacurus,) dessen Schwanzfedernfahnen so feltsam dünn stehende Fasern zeigen, daß sie völlig durchsichtig erscheinen und sich zu denen anderer Vögel in dieser Beziehung etwa so verhalten, wie bloßer Flor oder dünnes Schleiergewebe zu Leinward." (Gloger 1842).

Aber bitte, James!
I take the liberty to indicate a few minor errors in your quote (they could have featured in Gloger's OD, but I doubt that).
1. Schwanzfedernfahnen > Schwanzfederfahnen, compound words without the plural -n- of the first element
2. feltsam > seltsam, in the source this "f" is doubtless a Gothic s, not an f; seltsam = remarkably
3. I do not know about Martin Schneider's clothing habits, of course, but I am sure he does not wear Leinward shirts . . . The word is: Leinwand = linen

die Leinwand = the linen; das Lein or Flachs = flax (plant, genus Linum)
Quite an interesting word: in Dutch the equivalent lijnwaad is obsolete, but we still have lijnzaad = linen seed, which is ubiquitous in food nowadays, in bird food as well, although the textile is called "linnen". Also lijnolie (oil) and historical names: Rotterdam has a famous street "Lijnbaan" (originally: linen lane, because the plant stuff was stretched there to produce rope material). The Rotterdam people have their own funny name for this business street: the "Koopgoot" = purchase gutter! It is a line of shops, indeed, and it sounds well . . . (pron. oo like in: to owe) Many people do not realise much of this, I suppose, because the normal word lijn = line, like in writing and drawing and hanging laundry (waslijn, etymology: was = 1. wax, 2. laundry. 3. verb: like in English: I/he/she was). Oh, I forgot the birds: linnet = Linaria, we have an old name Vlasvink (flax finch), nowadays: Kneu. Wow, such a wealth in our languages!
Enjoy, and I apologize for this linguistic drive (professional deviation), it will never fade, I suppose. Hope you are well and hold on (here it seems like the Swifts are leaving us already, I saw a cloud of them high passing over earlier this week) . . .
Jan van der Brugge

Much appreciated, Jan. Despite all my cribs I still have problems with Fraktur, hence feltsam instead of seltsam. The other two are pure misreadings/typos. Key MS corrected.
Currently working out which is the best sort of mask to wear. I fancy the one worn by Herbert Lom as Ben Yusuf in El Cid!

Much appreciated, Jan. Despite all my cribs
Currently working out which is the best sort of mask to wear. I fancy the one worn by Herbert Lom as Ben Yusuf in El Cid!

James, do you like opera music? Well, it does not matter really. Verdi's opera Don Carlo is on youtube, open air performance in France, with Montserrat Caballé. In the opera there is also a wonderful piece "The Dance of the Veil", of which mezzosoprano Grace Bumbry with the other ladies-in-waiting present a marvellous colourful show, which you can only enjoy, opera-lover or not.
Of course I cannot tell at which moment of the opera this takes place, but you could find out easily in the description of the work. The veil is beautiful, but not really the right choice for covering your face, in hot Spain, I think.
Well, stay well, all the best,
Jan van der Brugge (I can unveil that I still see some Swifts these days, 2 or 3, suppose they still have young to feed)

Hi James, I have been too much focused on the errors in the quoted German text. Obviously Gloger did not mean Malurus superbus or another actual Malurus species, with his term Florschleif (= gaze-tail).
Here is what I had in my own file for the Emu Wren, whose tail is far more fitting for Gloger's name, and see all the synonyms.
I should have been more alert and I feel obliged to keep others alert as well, for the benefit of science and BF!
Cheers, Jan van der Brugge

Stipiturus malachurus (Muscicapa malachura Shaw, Muscicapa malachura Davies, Muscicapa malachura Latham, Malurus malachura Temminck, Malurus malachurus, S.malacurus, Motacilla fimbriata Wilkes, Malurus palustris Vieillot, Malurus gularis Stephens, Malurus gularis Griffin, Malurus emitis Ewing)
(Southern Emu Wren, Southern Emu-Wren, Southern Emuwren)
(Roodoor-emoesluiper, Emoesluiper / Rotstirn-Borstenschwanz, Wimpern-Borstenschwanz,
Borstenschwanz / Stipiture à queue gazée)
[Blue-throated Warbler (Add.Brit.Mus. 1831-1833, for Malurus gularis). Soft-tailed Fly-catcher.
Muscicapa malachura, Linn. Malurus malachura, Cuv. (The Book of Nature, 1834).
Emu-Wren (Birds of Western Australia, p.82). Emeu Merion, Emeu Bird (Mus.Brookes, pp.84 & 95, for
Malurus malachurus).]

Jan,
Thanks for your insight. I have amended the initial text of Malacurus in the Key MS as follows: "Gr. μαλακος malakos soft; ουρα oura tail; perhaps a lapsus for misremembered Malurus, but if Malacurus is a new name, Jan van der Brugge in litt. suggests that Gloger's text better fits the "gauze-tailed" tautonymous Stipiturus malachurus;"
All harmony. James

Last edited:
Just to avoid double work:

Encyclopedia of the Philippines: Builders of the new Philippines

Gutierrez, Dionisio Provincial Governor of Cotabato. Governor Gutierrez was born in Batangas, Batangas, on October 9, 1891, the son of Lucio Gutierrez and Fernanda Borbon. He is a product of the Philippine public schools, having finished his primary grades in 1906 , and his intermediate grades in 1909 . After his graduation from the high school in Manila in 1913 , he entered the Constabulary Academy , now the Military Academy , at Baguio , as Third Lieutenant in July , 1913 , and graduated in October of the same year . He served in the in the Philippine Constabulary in the provinces of Bataan , Cavite , Laguna , and Cotabato ; was promoted to Second Lieutenant on March 16, 1915; First Lieutenant on May 24, 1917; Captain on February 4, 1919; Assistant Provincial Commander on May 5 , 1919 ; Provincial Commander of Cotabato on August 1 , 1919 . Due to his efficient service , he was appointed Provincial Governor of Cotabato on July 1 , 1922 , and was designated Major in the Philippine in the Philippine Constabulary, now the Philippine Army, on December 15, 1927. Before his appointment as Governor of Cotabato where he has served since December , 1914 , he was also Deputy Governor and Ex - Officio Justice of the Peace . Besides being Governor, he is also Military Provincial Commander of Cotabato Province. His philosophy of life consists in "To govern is to serve; live and let live; industry, honesty, truth and charity."

gutierrezi

Martin, you could have added that this book (Encyclopedia of the Philippines: Builders of the new Philippines) was published in 1936 ... which, of course, explain why the later part of the Life and Career of Colonel Gutierrez wasn't mentioned. ;)

However; well found!

/B

Bulletin 8: sic transit gloria mundi
alvaresi
• Mauricio Álvarez Rebolledo (fl. 2005) Colombian ornithologist, conservationist (Grallaria).
centralis
L. centralis, centrale central, in the middle < centrum middle point, centre < Gr. κεντρον kentron sharp point, stationary point of a pair of compasses. A good proportion of the names here refer to forms collected in "Central Africa," i.e. the eastern Congo and the Rift Valley lakes (e.g. subsp. Bradypterus baboecala, subsp. Chlorocichla flaviventris, subsp. Malimbus rubricollis, subsp. Sarothrura pulchra, subsp. Turdus pelios). Some further examples follow.
• "Dieselbe steht in Bezug auf Grösse zwischen cardinalis und massaicus in der Mitte." (Neumann 1900) (subsp. Dendropicos fuscescens).
• "Distribution. Endemic to Peru on east Andean slope from Río Huallaga through Pasco to Junín west of the Río Ene and north of the Río Mantaro ... The scientific name reflects the range of this species near the geographic center of Peru." (Hosner et al. in M. Isler et al. 2020) (Grallaria).
• "Intermediate in size between N. f. flavicollis (Vieill.) and N. f. melanoxantha (Lcht.)" (Hellmayr 1907) (subsp. Hemithraupis flavicollis).
• "These birds are intermediate between N. famosa and N. cupreonitens, and resemble birds labelled by Neumann in the Tring Museum with the MS. name Nectarinia famosa centralis" (van Someren 1916) (subsp. Nectarinia famosa).
• "RANGE. —Eastern part of the central Solomon Islands (Kulambangra, New Georgia, Vangunu, and Gatukai)." (Mayr 1932) (subsp. Pachycephala pectoralis).
• "zentralbrasilianischen Hochlandes (Matto-grosso. S. Goyaz. N.-São Paulo. W.-Minas Geraës)" (Hellmayr 1920) (subsp. Ramphocelus carbo).
• "the Central American form is named CICCABA VIRGATA CENTRALIS, subsp. nov. ... Chivela, Oaxaca, Mexico." (Griscom 1929) (subsp. Strix virgata).
• "Tang- (Dang-) la Range, Central Tibet, Tang-la Pass" (Sushkin 1926) (subsp. Tetraogallus tibetanus).
Collurisoma
(syn. Colluricincla † Grey Shrikethrush C. harmonica) Gr. κολλυριων kolluriōn thrush-sized bird mentioned by Aristotle and Hesychius, not further identified, but in ornithology considered to be a shrike; σωμα sōma, σωματος sōmatos body; perhaps a lapsus for Colluricincla Vigors & Horsfield, 1827; "the genus named Collurisoma, first pointed out by us in 1825 ... Typical Genera. Malaconotus | Thamnophilus | Prionops | ? | Platylophus ... This table may possibly appear very unsatisfactory to those who are accustomed to see "a place found for every thing," or who imagine it necessary that circles should be represented complete. It might, nevertheless, be reasonably supposed that Colurisoma would very well fill up the blank in our first column; and, indeed, many apparently strong and cogent reasons might be urged on the probability of such being its natural station; but we rather choose, for the present, to confess our doubts on the subject." (Swainson 1832).
Creadion
Gr. κρεαδιον kreadion morsel of meat < dim. κρεας kreas, κρεως kreōs flesh, meat (alluding to facial wattles).
• (syn. Anthochaera † Yellow Wattlebird A. paradoxa) "Creadion Vieillot, Analyse nouv. Ornith. p. 34, April 14th, 1816. Type (by subsequent designation, Lesson, Compl. de Œuvres Buffon, vol. ix. p. 7, 1837): Corvus paradoxus Latham, i.e. Daudin (cf. Austral Av. Rec. vol. iv. p. 169, 1922)." (Mathews, 1930, Syst. Av. Austral., II, 796) (see below).
• (syn. Philesturnus † South Island Saddleback P. carunculatus) "84. CRÉADION, Creadion. Sturnus, Merops, Gm. et Corvus, Lath. Bec fléchi en arc, comprimé, entier, étroit ou un peu déprimé à la pointe; mandibule inférieure, ou tête caronculée. 2 sections. Esp. Sturnus carunculatus. — Merops carunculatus. — Corvus paradoxus, Lath. ... Creadion [κρεαδιον, caruncula]." (Vieillot 1816); "Creadion Vieillot 1816, Analyse, p. 34. Type, by subsequent designation, Sturnus carunculatus Gmelin (Vigors and Horsfield, 1827, Trans. Linn. Soc. London, 15, 321)." (Amadon in Peters, 1962, XV, 158). Var. Creadio, Orcadion.
Mainatus
(syn. Gracula † Common Hill Mynah G. religiosa) French name Mainate for a mynah or grackle < Hindi names Mainā or Maynā for the Common Hill Mynah; "Le grand mainate (mainatus major) [?= Acridotheres grandis]. Il ressemble au précédent [Gracula] par sa forme et la variété de ses couleurs; mais il est plus grand; sa taille égale celle du choucas. Son bec et ses pieds sont jaunes, sans aucune teinte de rougeâtre. Cet oiseau se trouve dans l'île de Hainan en Asie. ... Les mainates se nourrissent de divers fruits et d'insectes. Leur douceur, leur familiarité, et surtout leur talent pour imiter en peu de temps le sifflet, le chant, la parole, et généralement tout ce qu'ils entendent, les sont rechercher des Indiens et des Chinois" (Vieillot 1817); "Genre MAINATE, Mainatus, Brisson. Sous-genre MINO, Mino, N. Le Mainate religieux (Gracula religiosa) formait le genre Mainatus dans l'ornithologie de Brisson, que Linné et Gmelin supprimèrent pour placer l'oiseau qui lui servait de type, dans le genre Gracula, à la suite des Oriolus." (Lesson 1827); "Mainatus Lesson, 1827, Bull. Sciences Naturelles et de Géologie (de Férussac, Bull. Universel des Sciences, sect. II), X, 158. Type by monotypy, Gracula religiosa Linnaeus." (mihi 2020).
sinaensis
Sina, Dept. Puno, Peru.

Björn,
As indicated in #1, this thread just shows some of the major additions and amendments to my Key MS (which currently stands at 3,742 pages and over 1,400,000 words). There will be even more additions after BOWKey comes on line, as I am attempting to include type citation under each genus. Peters' Checklist has been extremely useful. Having just completed checking Mathews's Systema Avium Australasianarum, I have now made a start on W. Sclater's Systema Avium Aethiopicarum. I think errors and comments here should be retained to illustrate the rich tapestry of developments.
As ever your contributions, and those of the other Birdforum aficionados, are greatly appreciated. Everyone, stay safe and well.

... I think errors and comments here should be retained to illustrate the rich tapestry of developments. ...
Fair enough, it's your thread/Key/MS ... even if I don't see the reason for keeping account of every single typo [if so, my own MS would (awkwardly) include many hundreds of similar typos!] ;)

However; back on topic ... regarding:

alvarezi as in:
• the Chamí antpitta Grallaria alvarezi CUERVO, et al. 2020 (here, p.13)

• Mauricio Álvarez Rebolledo (fl. 2005) Colombian ornithologist, conservationist (Grallaria).

Ought to be the following guy: Professor Mauricio Álvarez Rebolledo, here, with some nice photos. Alt. here, the Professor himself (live and talking). Looks like he is still "fl.[-ourishing]", still going strong.

The pretty bird itself; here, or (running around); here alt. here.

Cheers!

/B
--

Last edited:
Bulletin 9: eheu fugaces labuntur anni

BUCCANODON
(Lybiidae; † Yellow-spotted Barbet B. duchaillui) Genus Bucco Temminck, 1820, barbet (see Bucco); Gr. ανοδων anodōn toothless < negative prefix αν- an- ; οδους odous, οδοντος odontos tooth; "Barbatula formosa. ... Par son ensemble, cette espéce se rapprocherait du Laimodon niger; mais son bec sans dentelure le rapporte plûtot aux vrais Barbatula. Nous avions même songé à en faire un genre que nous n'adoptons pas à cause des rapports intimes qu'elle a avec ces derniers" (J. & E. Verreaux 1855); "a. Buccanodon. Verr. 511. Duchallui, Cass. ... Syn. Barbatula Duchallui, Cassin Proc. Acad. Philad. 1855, p. 324. — Buccanodon formosus, Verr. Rev. et Mag. 1855, p. 218, pl. 5. fig. bon." (Hartlaub 1857); "Buccanodon G. Gray, Cat. Gen. Subgen. Bds. Addenda, p. 1, 1855. Type by original designation, Buccanodon (i.e. Barbatula) formosus Verr. = Barbatula duchaillui Cass. This name is attributed by Gray and also Hartlaub to J. & E. Verreaux, Rev. Mag. Zool. 1855, p. 218, but the last-named did not mention the generic name in their paper." (W. Sclater, 1930, Syst. Av. Aethiop., II, Appendix, 859); "Buccanodon Hartlaub, Syst. Orn. Westafr., 1857, p. 171. Type, by monotypy, Barbatula duchaillui Cassin." (Peters, 1948, VI, 44).
Synon. Cladurus, Pogonites. N.B. I have yet to see Gray's 1855 Addenda (see Sclater's citation above). I am sure it has previously been located for this subforum, but cannot trace it. Any help would be appreciated and acknowledged.

Calyptrophorus
(syn. Paroaria † Red-crested Cardinal P. coronata) Gr. καλυπτρα kaluptra veil, head-dress, covering; -φορος -phoros -carrying < φερω pherō to carry; "Für Paroaria schlagen wir den Namen Calyptrophorus (καλυπτρα, Kappe, Schleier: φορεω, tragen) vor. Typus: C. cucullatus (Lath.)" (Cabanis 1847); "Calyptrophorus Cabanis, 1847, Archiv für Naturgeschichte, 13 (Band 1), p. 329. New name for Paroaria Bonaparte, considered barbarous; type, C. cucullatus (Lath.) = Loxia cucullata Latham, 1790 (not of Boddaert, 1783) = Loxia coronata Miller, 1776." (mihi 2020). Var. Calyphtrophorus.

Coliostruthus
(syn. Euplectes † Yellow-mantled Widowbird E. macroura macrocercus) Gr. κολοιος koloios jackdaw (i.e. black); στρουθος strouthos sparrow; "9. Ploceus [Coliostruthus] concolor. ... Nomen Chera, huic subdivisioni generis Plocei nuper impositum, prius datum est generi cuidam inter Noctuas. Succedit igitur nomen Rüppelii: "Coliuspasser", quod vero, ut hybridum, corrigendum et Coliostruthus scribendum. Forma castigata: Coliipasser, in Agassizii Nomenclatore Zool. (IV, 94) proposita, non tangit vitium principale: indolem hybridam; Colius enim est vox græca, ( κολοιος), Passer, latina." (Sundevall 1849). Var. Coliustruthus.

Galachrysia
(syn. Glareola † Little Pratincole G. lactea) Gr. γαλα gala, γαλακτος galaktos milk; χρυσειος khruseios golden < χρυσος khrusos gold; "*1966. Stiltia, Bp. — 1967. Glareola, L. — *1968. Galachrysia, Bp." (Bonaparte 1854 (nom. nud.)); "1845. GALACHRYSIA, Pr. B. 1854. (Glareola lactea, Temm.)" (G. Gray 1855); "47. Galachrysia, Bp. 121. lactea, Temm. (orientalis, Jerd. nec Leach.) 122. cinerea, Fraser" (Bonaparte 1856); "Galachrysia G. R. Gray, Cat. Gen. Subgen. Bds. p. 111, 1855 (ex Bonaparte, Ann. Sci. Nat (4) i., p. 148, 1854). Type by original designation, Glareola lactea Temm." (W. Sclater, 1924, Syst. Av. Aethiop., I, 140). Var. Calachrysia, Galactochrysea.

gallardoi / gallardoorum
Dr Ángel Gallardo (1867-1934) Argentinian civil engineer, politician, zoologist, and his grandson Prof. Dr José María Alfonso Félix Gallardo (1925-1994) Argentinian zoologist, both former Directors of Museo Argentino de Ciencias Naturales 'Bernadino Rivadavia' (Björn Bergenholtz and Laurent Raty in litt.). The eponym gallardoorum "of the Gallardos," appears to be a MS name, coined to reflect the dual dedication (Podiceps).

LEGUATIA
(?Phoenicopteridae; † Leguatia gigantea)
François Leguat (1637-1735) French explorer, naturalist on Rodrigues 1691; "GALLINULA (LEGUATIA) GIGANTEA. Syn. Le géant, LEGUAT, voyage, II, p. 72, c. fig. … … … DU QUESNE, apud LEGUAT I, 55 (?) Strausartiger Vogel, HAMEL, Bullet. phys.-math. Acad. St. Petersb., Vol. VII, No. 5 et 6. Flamingo, STRICKLAND, The Dodo, p. 60, (note). ... Vaderland: Mauritius, welligt ook Bourbon; toevallig eenmaal op Rodriguez aangetroffen." (Schlegel 1858); "Leguatia Schlegel, Versl. Med. Akad. Wetens. Amst. (Natuurk.) vii, p. 142, 1858. Type by monotypy, Leguatia gigantea Schleg. ... The Giant Rail." (W. Sclater, 1924, Syst. Av. Aethiop., I, 109); "Based only on the account of Leguat (1708), who almost certainly confused it with a flamingo Phoenicopterus sp." (Hume & Walters 2012).

Muscipeta [additional sub-entry]
• (syn. Onychorhynchus † Amazonian Royal Flycatcher O. coronatus) "TCHITREA MUTATA ... The generic name Terpsiphone, currently employed for the group of flycatchers to which the present species belongs, was originally proposed by Gloger as a substitute for Muscipeta Cuvier, because Muscipeta was considered "zu ähnlich und ganz gleich bedeutend mit Muscicapa;" and since the type of Muscipeta is the South American Todus regius Gmelin (= Muscivora regia auct.), it follows that the same species must be regarded as the type of Terpsiphone. This being the case, Terpsiphone can of course not be used to designate the Old World genus, for which the name Tchitrea Lesson then becomes available." (Oberholser 1900); "Muscipeta CUVIER, Règne Anim., I, p. 344, Dec. 1816—type by subs. desig. [?author] Todus regius GMELIN." (Cory & Hellmayr, 1927, Cat. Birds Americas, V, 258) (OD below).

PHONIPARA
(Thraupidae; † Cuban Grassquit P. canora) Gr. φωνη phōnē sound, tone; παρα para beside, near; "10. Phonipara, BP., comprenant six a sept petites espèces des Antilles et du Mexique, aussi pétulantes que jolies: son type est la Loxia canora, GM., à face et poitrine noires, à sourcils et gorge jaune d'or." (Bonaparte 1850 (Monogr. Loxiens, iii)); "5. PHONIPARA, Bp., pour les Loxia canora, Fringilla lepida, etc., des Antilles." (Bonaparte 1850 (Comptes Rend., 31, 424)); "*1023. Phonipara, Bp. (Fringilla et Spermophila, p. Gr.) Rostrum breve, valde compressum: pedes debiles: alae brevissimae: cauda modica, subemarginata. Amer. calid. 5. 1. LOXIA canora, Gm. ... 2. FRINGILLA lepida, L. ... 3. FRINGILLA bicolor, L. ... 4. FRINGILLA gutturalis, Licht. ... 5. LINARIA caniceps, Sagra ... Quid Spermophila anoxantha et Sperm. adoxa, Gosse, Ill. Jam. tab. 63, et 65?" (Bonaparte 1850 (Conspectus, 494)); "Phonipara Bonaparte, Consp. Gen. Av., 1, (2), p. 494, end of 1850—type, by subs. desig. (Gray, Cat. Gen. Subgen. Bds., p. 82, 1855), Loxia canora Gmelin." (Hellmayr, 1938, Cat. Birds Americas, Pt. XI, 114).

PYRRHULAGRA
(Thraupidae; † Puerto Rican Bullfinch P. portoricensis) Portmanteau of genera Pyrrhula Brisson 1760, bullfinch, and Tanagra Linnaeus, 1766, tanager; "*1021. Pyrrhulagra, Schiff, Mus. Senkenb. (Spermophila, Pitylus, et Tanagrella, p. Gr. - Loxia, Fringilla et Tanagra Auct.). Amer. mer. 4. 1. LOXIA portoricensis, Daud. ... 2. LOXIA violacea, L. ... 3. TANAGRA ruficollis, Gm. ... 4. FRINGILLA noctis, L." (Bonaparte 1850). The correct application of this generic name must be investigated. According to Hellmayr 1938, Cat. Birds Americas, Pt. XI, p. 159, the type of Pyrrhulagra by subsequent designation (G. Gray 1855, Cat. Gen. Subgen. Bds., p. 75) is Loxia portoricensis Daudin; but Bonaparte 1850, Monogr. Loxiens, p. v, writes, "avec le Dr. SCHIFF de Francfort nous appellons Pyrrhulagra un nouveau genre dont Fringilla noctis, L. est le type, et qui contient deux ou trois espèces semblables par la couleur si non par le bec." Fringilla noctis Linnaeus, 1766, is the type of Loxigilla Lesson, 1831, of which Pyrrhulagra Bonaparte, 1850, becomes a synonym. If Loxia portoricensis Daudin, 1800, is to be separated generically, it will need a new name.
Synon. Melopyrrha.

Bulletin 10: per ardua ad astra

Ammodramus [additional sub-entry]
• (syn. Ammospiza † Saltmarsh Sparrow A. caudacuta) "AMMODRAMUS. ... Bill moderate, strong, conic, slightly notched; commissure sinuated, the base angulated. Wings short, rounded; the first and fifth quills equal; the second, third, and fourth equal and longest. Tail slender, graduated or rounded, the feathers narrow and pointed. Feet slender, lengthened; nails slender, that of the hind toe rather long. Type. Fringilla caudacuta. Wilson, 4. Pl. 34. f. 3. This is a very remarkable group, comprising no less than six species, now before me. It occurs both in North and South America, and insensibly leads to another genus [Amadina] closely approximating to the European Sparrow, but whose characters I have not yet sufficiently investigated." (Swainson 1827); "Ammodramus Swainson (not of Swainson, June, 1827), Zool. Journ., 3, No. 11, p. 348, Sept.-Dec. 31, 1827—type, by orig. desig., Fringilla caudacuta Wilson = Oriolus caudacutus Gmelin." (Hellmayr, 1938, Cat. Birds Americas, Pt. XI, 504).

iturupensis
Iturup Is., Kuril Is., Sakhalin Oblast, Far Eastern Russia.Gr. πληκτρον plēktron cock’s spur; -φανης -phanēs showing < φαινω phainō to show.

maniola
L. maniolae little bugaboos < dim. maniae bugbears, bugaboos for children < mania bugaboo, bogeyman; "Diminutive of L. mania, a goblin or specter to frighten children, from the small size of the species and the dread with which many people regard owls." (Storrs Olson in litt.) (‡ Tyto).

Muscipeta [additional sub-entry]
• (syn. Muscicapa † Spotted Flycatcher M. striata) "GENUS 35. MUSCICAPA Lin. Briss. Lath. Cuv. LaCép. Dumer: Tyrannus, Muscivora Cuv. LaCép. Muscipeta Cuv. (Fliegenschnäpper Germ. Gobe-mouche, Tiran, Moucherolle Gall. Flycatcher Angl.) ... Species: Muscicapa atricapilla, grisola, mutata, Paradisi; Lanius Tyrannus, Pitangua Lin." (Illiger 1811: nom. nud.) (Jim Gaudin in litt.).

Plectrophanes [revised] Gr. πληκτρον plēktron cock’s spur; -φανης -phanēs showing < φαινω phainō to show.
• (syn. Calcarius † Lapland Bunting C. lapponicus) "Fringilla calcarata Pall. (dieser Vogel gehört keineswegs zu der Gattung Fringilla, sondern muß eine eigene Gattung bilden; ich nenne sie Plectrophanes, Sporner)" (B. Meyer 1815); "Plectrophanes Meyer, Kurze Beschr. Vögel Liv.-und Esthl., p. xii, 1815—type, by orig. desig., Fringilla calcarata Pallas = Fringilla lapponica Linnaeus." (Hellmayr, 1938, Cat. Birds Americas, Pt. XI, 639). Var. Plectrofanes, Plectrophanus.
• (syn. Plectrophenax † Snow Bunting P. nivalis) "12. Emberiza nivalis. ... 12. Schneeammer. Plectrophanes, Meyer. E[ntwickelung]. Der Schnabel wird kürzer, der Nagel der Hinterzehe lang, und das Gefieder färbt sich weiß und schwarz. Der Schnabel wird im Winter gelb. Ch[arakter]. Ammern mit weiß und schwarzem Gefieder, schwarzen Füßen und langem Nagel an der hinteren Zehe. L[ebensart]. Sie leben im Norden, flattern viel und laufen, wie die Lerchen." (Kaup 1829); ."Plectrophanes (not of Meyer, 1815) Kaup, Skizz. Entw.-Gesch. und Natürl. Syst. Europ. Thierw., p. 138, 1829—type, by monotypy, Emberiza nivalis Linnaeus." (Hellmayr, 1938, Cat. Birds Americas, Pt. XI, 642).

Plectrophanes [revised]

Last edited:
N.B. I have yet to see Gray's 1855 Addenda (see Sclater's citation above). I am sure it has previously been located for this subforum, but cannot trace it. Any help would be appreciated and acknowledged.
In an October 1929 Ibis v. 71 page 650-652 Sclater reproduces the adenda "contained in a copy of the 'List' in the Carnegie Museum at Pittsburgh but which are not known to occur in any other copy"
I have not seen it but the first page of article is here: https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/epdf/10.1111/j.1474-919X.1929.tb08779.x .
I think the adenda and the couple of appendix in the catalogue are a response to a review in Annals and Magqazine of natural History in 1855.
https://books.google.com/books?id=N...AEwB3oECAgQAQ#v=onepage&q=Buccanodon &f=false .
The Zoonomen Type notes B discusses this.
http://www.zoonomen.net/avtax/type/typeb.html .
http://iphylo.org/~rpage/nz/?genus=Buccanodon .

Last edited:
Buccanodon

Bulletin 9: eheu fugaces labuntur anni

BUCCANODON
(Lybiidae; † Yellow-spotted Barbet B. duchaillui) Genus Bucco Temminck, 1820, barbet (see Bucco); Gr. ανοδων anodōn toothless < negative prefix αν- an- ; οδους odous, οδοντος odontos tooth; "Barbatula formosa. ... Par son ensemble, cette espéce se rapprocherait du Laimodon niger; mais son bec sans dentelure le rapporte plûtot aux vrais Barbatula. Nous avions même songé à en faire un genre que nous n'adoptons pas à cause des rapports intimes qu'elle a avec ces derniers" (J. & E. Verreaux 1855); "a. Buccanodon. Verr. 511. Duchallui, Cass. ... Syn. Barbatula Duchallui, Cassin Proc. Acad. Philad. 1855, p. 324. — Buccanodon formosus, Verr. Rev. et Mag. 1855, p. 218, pl. 5. fig. bon." (Hartlaub 1857); "Buccanodon G. Gray, Cat. Gen. Subgen. Bds. Addenda, p. 1, 1855. Type by original designation, Buccanodon (i.e. Barbatula) formosus Verr. = Barbatula duchaillui Cass. This name is attributed by Gray and also Hartlaub to J. & E. Verreaux, Rev. Mag. Zool. 1855, p. 218, but the last-named did not mention the generic name in their paper." (W. Sclater, 1930, Syst. Av. Aethiop., II, Appendix, 859); "Buccanodon Hartlaub, Syst. Orn. Westafr., 1857, p. 171. Type, by monotypy, Barbatula duchaillui Cassin." (Peters, 1948, VI, 44).
Synon. Cladurus, Pogonites. N.B. I have yet to see Gray's 1855 Addenda (see Sclater's citation above). I am sure it has previously been located for this subforum, but cannot trace it. Any help would be appreciated and acknowledged.
[...]
James, I gave it a (somewhat serious) try, but sorry, neither I can find Gray's Addenda (alt. Addendum or Errata) anywhere online ...

Though I found one thing that (maybe) could be of interest; Jules Verreaux's first use of Buccanodon (that I can find, of course), from 1859 (here), where he himself wrote it as "BUCCANODON, J. Verr." (and, as such, claiming the Authorship!?), but where he published it prior to that I cannot say.

The Plate of (J. et E.) Verreaux's "Barbatula formosa", from 1855 (here, text on p.218), but (like stated in the quote above) there's no Buccanodon in sight in this Work.

Sclater's Systema avium aethiopicarum. A systematic ... from 1924-1930 (in two volumes, both; here).

Richmond's (1927) foot-note here, indicate that we probably ought to look for an Edition of "A List of ..." [Genera of Birds?], by Gray (1840, alt. in a later Edition), thus possibly not his "Catalogue of ... (Genera and Subgenera of Birds)"!?! Or is this simply a mix-up of the subtitle of the Catalogue itself (here)? Compare the Title page versus page 1 ... ?

However, no trace of Buccanodon in the journal "L'Ateneo Italiano", as suggested as a possibility by Richmond, at least not in the 1854 (vol.2) issue here, the closest one is Bonaparte's use of Bucconidi (but not as Genera), on pp.380-381; here. Similar to Gray's (subfamily) Bucconinæ, from 1849 (here), or here (about 1851). Also see the Proceedings of the Linnean Society of London, 1872 (here).

In an October 1929 Ibis v. 71 page 650-652 Sclater reproduces the adenda "contained in a copy of the 'List' in the Carnegie Museum at Pittsburgh but which are not known to occur in any other copy"
I have not seen it but the first page of article is here: https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/epdf/10.1111/j.1474-919X.1929.tb08779.x .
I think the adenda and the couple of appendix in the catalogue are a response to a review in Annals and Magqazine of natural History in 1855.
https://books.google.com/books?id=N...AEwB3oECAgQAQ#v=onepage&q=Buccanodon &f=false .
The Zoonomen Type notes B discusses this.
http://www.zoonomen.net/avtax/type/typeb.html .
http://iphylo.org/~rpage/nz/?genus=Buccanodon .
For completeness sake (adding nothing); the "recent notice ... published in the 'Annals and Magazine of Natural History' for December 1855" [Second Series, No.96], that Gray found so (very) unjust, full of incorrectness and erroneous conclusions, that he simply had to respond and defend himself, and his views/work (here).

Though; IF the addenda were, as Mark put it; "a response" to this "review" it could hardly have been published in 1855, could it? (if ever published/printed?)

Either way, it would (of course) help to see Sclater's reproduction (in Ibis, 1929), to find out in what way it was reproduced. If it's a photo, or simply a transcript of Gray's additional List. If the latter was typed, or handwritten ...

Well, that's about all I found (and all I have to say in this certain topic ;)).

Hopefully of some use.

Björn

PS. Though I still don't understand why Gray would change/alter Temminck's Bucco, into Bucca... ?!?
Could we (again) possibly be looking at a case of a typo (or Printer's error)?
--

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back