• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Opticrom Imagic BGA SE 10x50 or Celestron Granite 10x50 (1 Viewer)

Rafael Campos

Hello,
I'm a biology student and I have a hard choice in hands.

I want to buy a 10x50 binocular and don't know witch one to pick.
I'be made a list, and came down to these two:

Granite 10x50 - Celestron
Imagic BGA SE 10x50 - Opticrom

I was hopping there's someone here with enough knowledge to help me choose between this two or to propose another one.

I'm sorry that I signed up on your forum to ask for a favor.
Hope you can help me

Thank you

From Portugal
Rafael Campos

Hello Rafael,

Welcome to the forum.

Hopefully someone on the forum will have looked at both 10x50s. I've tried the 8x42s but I know from other makes and models that the 10x50s might be totally different designs. I'll skip the details but personally I didn't find either of the 8x42s to be the best in their price range. The Japanese made Opticron does have a much better build quality and a 30 year Guarantee and has been a very popular model here in the UK.

I have tried the Imagic BGA SE 8.5x50 though and I think it's excellent. The clarity and sharpness of the view I thought was pretty special. Perhaps the lack of ED glass and the narrow field of view is a bit dated, but that shouldn't discourage you, it's a very good binocular. I don't know how the 10x50 compares but at least the AFOV is a bit wider.

Good luck,

David

I've tried the BGA SE 10x 50 and liked it. The only thing I didn't like was the weight is on the low side (circa 650g) but with an objective of 50 mm most of the weight was at the front. I found them a little unsteady.

Petrus, which one was that? The BGA SE is quite light for an x50 but it's 790g and the 8.5x at least was well balanced for me.

David

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back