• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Craspedophora mantoui (1 Viewer)

...the first name of the French feather dealer named Mantou.
In 1859 a Mr. M. Mantou ran a business in Paris that made de coiffes de casquettes et chapeaux souples en tous genres piquées et gaufrées. As part of this business they imported and sold feathers or plumes . The old ornithologists would go over and look at the feathers to see if there were any novel ones.
In the days
when the plume trade was flourish-
ing, tens of thousands of bird of
paradise skins went every year
through the hands of the great plume
dealers in the Indies, Paris, Amster-
dam, and London. These dealers,
among whom the Dutchman Duiven-
bode and the French dealer Mantou
were best known, discovered each
year in their shipments from New
Guinea a few skins that did not seem
to belong to any known species. Lord
Rothschild and other collectors were
willing to pay fabulous prices for
these specimens.
http://books.google.com/books?id=VtJBAAAAcAAJ&dq="Mantou"+chapeau&source=gbs_navlinks_s .

Craspedophora mantoui Oustalet, 1891 OD here

In OD he is declared as négociant à Paris. Another of this dealers we know nearly nothing.

The Eponym Dictionary of Birds claims:

Mantou's Riflebird Craspedophora mantoui Oustalet, 1891 NCR [Presumed hybrid: Seleucidis melanoleucus x Ptiloris magnificus]
M. Mantou (DNF) was a French plumassier (feather dealer) in Paris who presented the first known example of this bird to the Paris Museum.

The old key:

M. Mantou (fl. 1890) French plume dealer (Heteroptilorhis (hybrid), syn. Lophophorus impejanus).

From here I would say

Mantou (Georges) négociant en plumes brutes. Médaille d'or, Milan 1906 (Cl. 86).-8. PASSAGE VIOLET, A PARIS

Maybe someone find his life dates.

Found as well and must be somewhere in Recueil de la Gazette des tribunaux: journal de jurisprudence et des débats judiciaires
nom collectif formée entre M. Georges MANTOU et Mutes WOGUE et WEILL, par acte sous seing privé du huit novembre

He might be still alive in 1926 or even in 1933 here . He might have married Mutes Wogue.

Last edited:
A tricky one for "regular" genealogy as this family is Jewish.

The Honouree is either:

Heymann MANTOU (23 June 1820 in Maizières-lès-Vic, Lorraine - 1887 in Paris)

or his son Georges

Heymann married on 15 November 1849 in Paris to

Adélaïde LEVY 1825-1876

They ran the plumassier business until their son & daughters (and son-in-laws) took over.

They had 3 children:

Georges Isaïe MANTOU Born: 10 May 1859 Paris, France.
Alice Gabrielle MANTOU Born 10 May 1859 (twin) who married Théodore Julien WEILL (1857-) on 30 Octobre 1888 and became Mme Weill-Mantou (and one of her sons became a famous Tuberculosis doctor)
Eugènie Henriette MANTOU Born 9 April 1858 who married Emile WOGUE (1854-1915) on 24 Novembre 1887 and became Mme Wogue-Mantou.

In 1930 the company became Wogue-Mantou and was run by the descendants of Mme Wogue-Mantou and family.

Now as to a date for Georges death? There is indeed a listing for Georges Mantou as an "Honorary Vice-president" of the Plume Sellers association throughout most of the 1930s (see post #4 last line) but I wonder if you have to be alive for your name to be listed?? If you do need to be alive then I can say that he ceased being listed in October 1937 (= possible date of death)

The honoree depends on whom and crucially when the museum got the specimen(s). As the holotypes accession number is C.G.1891-932 (N.C. 22 A) we can assume it was received in 1891 and thus can only have been donated/sold by Georges AND his sisters husbands (co-owners of the business).

I conclude The Honouree is Georges Isaïe MANTOU Born: 10 May 1859 Paris; Died 1937 Paris.

Paul

PS Shockingly this was Haymann's 2nd cousin (and Georges 3rd).

NAME:Georges Mantou
BIRTH YEAR:1883
BURIAL YEAR:1943
BURIAL PLACE:Lorraine, France, Nancy
DEATH AGE:60
CEMETERY:Preville
NOTES:Deported and died in Auschwitz

T

Last edited:
I doubt that he died 1937 in Paris. Could only identify two records with Mantou in 1937:

Here p. 11 of 20 Fanny Henriette Mantou
Here p. 1 of 31 Marie Louise Mantou

And 1938
Here 19 of 31 Marie Thèrese Mantou

By the way the mention doctor by Paul here:
M. le docteur Weill dit Weill-Mantou (Théodore-Julien), médecin divisionnaire de la police municipale à Paris, nommé médecin de la police municipale en 1886.

Last edited:
Just to make sure, simply some backing-up (nothing contradictory), mostly for completeness sake ... regarding both the mantoui taxon;

First the bird we've already been dealing with:
• the invalid (hybrid*) "Craspedophora Mantoui" OUSTALET 1891 (OD, first link in post #4):
Il y a peu de temps, M. Mantou, négociant à Paris, a donné au Museum d'histoire naturelle ...
[...]
Je proposerai de désigner cette belle espéce de Paradisier sous le nom de Craspedophora Mantoui.

This "Craspedophora Mantoui (Oust .)" was again described by the same Émile Oustalet, the year after (in 1892), in Nouvelles archives du Muséum d'Histoire Naturelle (here, which also included a very nice Plate of the bird itself, here).

If this text adds anything about Monsieur Mantou himself (or differ in any major way) is beyond me (it's all in French), but I don't think so ...?

[far later, in 1911, also noted (in English) as "Mantou's Bird of Paradise, Heteroptilorhis mantoui" (here)]

par E. OUSTALET,

Président de la Société.

Au mois d'octobre dernier, M. Mantou, négociant en plumes de parure, à Paris, se trouvant de passage en Angleterre, y fit l'acquisition de deux Lophophores qui lui parurent fort différents du Lophophore ordinaire de l'Himalaya (Lophophorus impeyanus Lath).
Ces Oiseaux, que M. Mantou a cédés au Muséum, présentent en effet, avec l'espèce que viens de citer, des dissemblances que je crois nécessaire de signaler. ...

[...]
En résumé, les deux Lophophores acquis de M. Mantou, identiques aux Lophophores ordinaires sous le rapport ...
[...]
Je proposerai donc de désigner le spécimen à région interscapulaire pourprée, et les individus semblables, qui pourront être découverts ultérieurement, sous le nom de Lophophorus impeyanus var. Mantoui et les individus à plumage mélanisé, comme le second ...

No given names of the dedicatee, not even a, or any, Initial/s, on neither one.

Though, following what Paul presented yesterday in post #5, and from the little I understand of those French texts (helped only by Google Translate), it seems like the latter bird (the Monal/Pheasant specimen) was picked up in London, by Monsieur Mantou, in October 1891, which certainly would exclude Monsieur Mantou (Sr.), who, at that point, had been dead since 1887.

Thus, I'd say, mantoui can't be, or couldn't have been, aimed at the older "Heymann Mantou". Which I assume would go for both one of those birds. Both ought to have been "Georges Mantou's ... "

For what it's worth.

Björn

PS. As Martin posted his #6 while I was writing, typing away on this one, regarding the years of dear Georges Mantou; I have no idea, not the faintest, nor any opinion. I've only checked the birds in question (as shown above, I haven't looked at any, neither one, of those French persons involved, or/and suggested, I haven't even tried).

*A cross between a female Magnificent Riflebird Ptiloris magnificus X male Twelve-wired Bird of Paradise Selucidis melanoleuca (according to the Handbook of Avian Hybrids of the World, by Eugene M. McCarthy, 2006, here).
**a junior synonym of today's Himalayan/Impeyan Monal/Pheasant Lophophorus impejanus (Latham, 1790), according to Jobling's Key, above.

Last edited:
In Bulletin Mensuel ... (No.459), from "Septembre-Octobre 1937" we find Monsieur Georges Mantou, ... and Madame Wogue-Mantou, listed as "Négociants en plumes brutes" (here).

And in the fairly recent book Des savants pour protéger la nature (2019), in Chapitre VIII. Échecs et réussites de la protection de la nature au tournant des siècles, pp.235–263, we also find an anonymous Mantou mentioned (here), together with another well-known name (earlier dealt with): "Lefevre et Mantou, tous plumassiers" ...

If either one of those texts truly concern "our guy" I cannot tell. It could. Or not. But I would think so ...

For whatever it's worth.

/B

Last edited:
Only same as Paul wrote here .

Another relative was Paul Isaïe Mantou p. 8 of 31 died 5 September 1924 (Mort pour la France). But as well a cousin I assume. And here p. 26 of 31 a daughter of him Louise Suzanne Mantou died 16 Januaray 1932.

Last edited:
Now as to a date for Georges death? There is indeed a listing for Georges Mantou as an "Honorary Vice-president" of the Plume Sellers association throughout most of the 1930s (see post #4 last line) but I wonder if you have to be alive for your name to be listed?? If you do need to be alive then I can say that he ceased being listed in October 1937 (= possible date of death)

Couldn't it be simply because they closed their business? Or has this Georges Mantou any connection?

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back