• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dippers - Knowles Coppice - Wyre Forest (4 Viewers)

ErinG

Hi All,

New to the forum and also bird watching :)

Had a lovely first visit to Knowles Coppice today in search of Dippers. Lucky enough to have 3 sightings as well as a nuthatch, a number of yellow wagtails, long tailed tit, buzzards and a glimpse of a kingfisher.

I’m sure we saw a lot more but being new to it I’m still learning a lot of the birds!

Welcome to the forum Erin. Hope you have fun here (I know I have). Dippers really are a class act aren't they? We have them on the river behind the house, and they are a firm family favourite. Do double check your Wagtails. Grey share habitat with Dippers, and have a lot of yellow on them, and are with us year round. Yellow are only just arriving, so not that many in yet, and are found in rather different habitats (flat wet pastures and marshes). I would suggest your birds are most likely the former. Check it out, see what you think.

Cheers

James

Hi James,

They are fab, was really happy to see them today.

Thank you so much for the info on wagtails, I was actually just going through the Collins book and did see the grey ones and thought I’d got it wrong! I’ll keep studying!

Erin

Welcome, Erin, I'm sure you will enjoy this forum and develop your bird watching. We were all beginners once and it's says much for those here when you have helpful, and in no way patronising, comments such as those from James. Gentle suggestion with reasons will always help and never offend.

Welcome, Erin, I'm sure you will enjoy this forum and develop your bird watching. We were all beginners once and it's says much for those here when you have helpful, and in no way patronising, comments such as those from James. Gentle suggestion with reasons will always help and never offend.

Hi Dragnil,

Thank you for the welcome. I couldn’t agree more re your point on James’ comment. It was a very thoughtful response. Everyone I have met so far on walks and in hides has been so friendly - if not sometimes slightly confused to see a 31 year old bird watching :-O

I’m looking forward to expanding my knowledge. At the minute I do prefer waterfowl as they tend to sit still a bit longer!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back