View Single Post
Old Wednesday 6th September 2006, 21:54   #67
Roger Morris

Records of Hovers

Hi folks

There are obviously a fair few recorders out there who perhaps get records of a few hovers that might be of use to the Hoverfly Recording Scheme www.hoverfly.org.uk

Do please hold on to details of even common but identifiable stuff with - date, location and grid ref. I'm happy to have a crack at photos and will accept records of species I'm reasonably happy can be ID'd w/o too much experience - may ask for vouchers for some. But, even the assiduous photographer can make a contribution - very neary all of our analysis of Volucella zonaria come from odd snippets of data by interested observers going back 60 years!

Species worth keeping note of that can be ID'd w/o too much difficulty include all Volucella, Epistrophe eligans, Rhingia campestris, - and a fair few more. Some can be useful in understanding climate change as well as distribution changes. Can a few of the gaps on the Volucella maps be filled in?

Hope to hear from you - my e-mail address is roger dot morris at dsl dot pipex dot com.

Regards

Roger