• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How far do birders walk? (2 Viewers)

John Cantelo

I recently got a copy of the excellent "Birding Tourist's Guide Mallorca" and browsing through it I found several longish walking itineraries (up to 20 km/12.5 miles). I rather doubt, however, that more than a very small % of birders would ever complete walks of such length. In my experience, I'd say that although they may clock up more miles in a day few birders are willing to embark on walks of such length with most infrequently straying much more than a couple of miles from their vehicle. What do others think?

My patch in Russia would see me cover between 5-10km daily.

It's a 'there and back' route, not circular so how far I go, depends on what I find to hold my interest. On days where there's lots to see, I might only go 3km, other days when I don't see much, I'll walk 5km out and 5km back.

Last edited:
I don't mind a long walk. But heavy gear, heat, terrain, would put me off such distances in somewhere like Majorca.
Ask yourself, is there any species in (west) Europe that you need to walk 10km from the car to see?

After a while in those conditions, most of us would be thinking survival as opposed to focussed on birding!

A few years ago i did upcountry Gambia via bush taxis and did a lot of walking as i have no transport. But on European trips i may well walk quite far, if all my daily stops are added up. But yes i do not seem to stray so far from the hire car.

It depends on how much time and energy you have, and the terrain and weather of course. I've occasionally done walks of up to 20 km and possibly more, but that takes the better part of a day, and it's not something I'd do every weekend. Depending on the route, it can be worth it, as you might find a few additional species you'd miss if simply zooming from one "hot spot" to another with a car (I've gotten ~100 bird species on a walk here in my state once, at this time of year). Plus, a long trek can offer more scenic views of the landscape and it's obviously more environmentally friendly than birding by car. That said, I wouldn't do it if the landscape were boring or if I had to walk along a busy road for longer stretches.

Ask yourself, is there any species in (west) Europe that you need to walk 10km from the car to see?
Yes, if you don't have a car, or if you don't want to use one because it wouldn't be economically viable.

After a while in those conditions, most of us would be thinking survival as opposed to focussed on birding!
Can't say I've ever been to Majorca, but I'd imagine the weather to be milder during the winter?

Last edited:
It depends on how much time and energy you have, and the terrain and weather of course. I've occasionally done walks of up to 20 km and possibly more, but that takes the better part of a day, and it's not something I'd do every weekend. Depending on the route, it can be worth it, as you might find a few additional species you'd miss if simply zooming from one "hot spot" to another with a car (I've gotten ~100 bird species on a walk here in my state once, at this time of year). Plus, a long trek can offer more scenic views of the landscape and it's obviously more environmentally friendly than birding by car. That said, I wouldn't do it if the landscape were boring or if I had to walk along a busy road for longer stretches.

This. Plus, with only two days out of seven to exploit, and trying to maximise return, targeted stops making the most of road mobility just make a better day. I do increasingly try to make sure I cover some ground (not sitting on my backside in hides) for exercise purposes.

Its not just about cars though. A good example would be that when I go to Scotland, if the chairlift is running at Glen Shee I will go up on that for Mountain Hare and Ptarmigan rather than walk. Depending how the result goes at the top, I might ride down or walk down.

John

Last edited:
I use my bicycle to explore my local countryside. I can whip down country roads, and bridle paths, take short cuts over river footbridges, etc. I don't have to worry about parking a car (and leaving it unattended).

I found several longish walking itineraries (up to 20 km/12.5 miles). I rather doubt, however, that more than a very small % of birders would ever complete walks of such length.

I do that sometimes, especially in the mountains. It is then rather a mix of hiking and birding. Birds density being lower in the mountains, the best strategy is to have a good walk and cover a large area and range of habitats. Perhaps the walks in your Mallorca book are meant in the same spirit?

Otherwise, be it at European wetlands or in Asian forests, the pace of walking for birding is much slower, and covering more than 10 km is rare for me.

My favorite lakeside area is quite spread out, and I usually use a bicycle, making around 35 km in a day (including a few km from the train station to the site).

In Majorca, I guess, there are scenic hikes which people do anyway, and watch birds along the way.

I personally often walk over 20km a day, but I like hiking and watch birds as a second priority. Technically, if I wanted to maximize birding, I might for example, instead of hiking 20km across the mountains, take a ski lift, twitch Alpine Accentor and Water Pipit from the mountaintop cafe, and take a ski lift back. But it is not the point.

The distance will surely vary with the individual and their patch.
Here in NYC for example, the usual morning tour of Central Park will be 6-8 km, including the Ramble and Reservoir. A full loop will be 12-15 km, but that takes much of the day, especially during migration season.
Surprisingly, the distances covered during organized birding trips are much less, typically under 5 km. Presumably the organizers try to avoid putting less healthy participants at too much of a disadvantage.

I think of my birding in terms of hours spend rather than miles covered. I recently spent six hours and identified 76 species. Exhausting. But I didn't cover more than three miles.

I recently got a copy of the excellent "Birding Tourist's Guide Mallorca" and browsing through it I found several longish walking itineraries (up to 20 km/12.5 miles). I rather doubt, however, that more than a very small % of birders would ever complete walks of such length. In my experience, I'd say that although they may clock up more miles in a day few birders are willing to embark on walks of such length with most infrequently straying much more than a couple of miles from their vehicle. What do others think?
I don't even think I am a birder ..... I just like to know what I'm seeing /get a feel for the health of the place /watch certain birds like raptors/ or see if I can discover a rarity for the area/season, or just wander about my favourite bit of country /say g'day to some tree spirit elders etc. o:D

I've certainly walked more than 20k at a time, but that was in the Himalayas etc - and the need to make the next village before sunset and way below sub-zero temperatures was a pressing motivation ! :eek!: :-O

I tend to think in terms of a couple of hours, or a half day, or making it to a certain part of the river etc - that could be not very far / as far as I can get half way in that time / or just far enough ! :cat: ..... sometimes it might consist of a half hour walk each way and several hours laying down in the sun by a river, on a rock, or whatever :)

Sometimes I might scale the stairs down a mountain to the valley floor and then stay long enough until I can psyche myself up for the climb back out /end of the water rations etc ! :) Sometimes I don't even know where I am going or for how long .... which is not surprising to me, since I've got thoughts I haven't even thought of yet !! :king: o:) :-O

If I was going on 20k bird watching hikes I would definitely want nothing more than a Swaro 8×32 SV and a Sony RX-10 V (and they haven't even invented that one yet ! :)

For me it's about enjoyment /wonder - not listing (though I do like to id a patch /season /event (flood etc) etc .......... :)

Chosun :gh:

I do that sometimes, especially in the mountains.

Not in the Himalayas you wouldn't! ;)

We averaged 12km per day over 5 weeks and covered 350km in very tough, steep up, steep down, terrain including passing over the Thorong La pass at 5400m, toughest birding I've ever done.

I do that sometimes, especially in the mountains.

We averaged 12km per day over 5 weeks and covered 300km in very tough, steep up, steep down, terrain.

Quote of the trip came from our porter who when asked what a distant 6000m peak was called, answered , 'it has no name, that's just a hill'.

We are not dedicated birders, more nature generalists. On Mallorca we walked from Porto Pollensa to the northern coast through the Boquer Valley about 30 years ago and that was a round distance of about 8km and a walk we regularly do now on North Uist in the Western Isles of Scotland is about the same distance. Sometimes we set off to do this walk but get diverted by flowers, insects, seals, otters, whatever, and only do half the distance. For us the walk is not a goal in itself, it is what we see along the way, and what we see can often totally change our plan for the day.

Lee

We are not dedicated birders, more nature generalists. On Mallorca we walked from Porto Pollensa to the northern coast through the Boquer Valley about 30 years ago and that was a round distance of about 8km and a walk we regularly do now on North Uist in the Western Isles of Scotland is about the same distance. Sometimes we set off to do this walk but get diverted by flowers, insects, seals, otters, whatever, and only do half the distance. For us the walk is not a goal in itself, it is what we see along the way, and what we see can often totally change our plan for the day.

Lee

Exactly the same with me.

I have walked Gunung Gede (2958 MASL) on Java up and down in a day, that is around 20 kms and 1700 meters up (and obviously down) in a day.
I have also walked from a bit east from the abra de Portachuelo (4700 MASL) beyond the Lagunas de Llanguanuco (3800 MASL) in central Peru, because we couldn't find a single vehicle to take us down to Yungay, until well after dark a truck finally passed by! That was around 35 kms with sideway birding walks included, at an average altitude of more than 4000 meters. Breathtaking landscapes included!
During lowland birding / flatland birding, I often do around 30.000 steps a day. This would be around 30km if hiking, but ofcourse, while birding, you sometimes take small steps or just move a bit on the spot.

I only do this when I have to, because you obviously walk past good birds during such walks...
But sometimes, you are better up the mountain at first light for e.g. parakeets (Santa Marta), Volcano Swiftlet (Gede), striped babblers (Philippines). And if there is no road going there, you start at 3-4 in the morning and at first light you often have walked 10kms and done something around 750 vertical meters. The last couple of years, more and more rental cars are involved in my birding, and sadly, it takes away some of the walking. But I try to do as much walking as possible (and necessary) because it's a good way to keep you fit.

I am already looking forward to walk towards some Striped Babblers, Sillem's Mountain-finch, Snow Mountain Robin,... ;)

We averaged 12km per day over 5 weeks and covered 350km in very tough, steep up, steep down, terrain including passing over the Thorong La pass at 5400m, toughest birding I've ever done.

To be completely accurate - you probably averaged 23km per day ..... 12km up 45° slopes and 11km down 45° slopes for a net gain of 1km up !

Trail building surveyors only had one angled tool available to them during construction ........ 45° !!!!! :eek!: :-O

Just like "Lord of the Flies" .....

.... Quote of the trip came from our porter who when asked what a distant 6000m peak was called, answered , 'it has no name, that's just a hill'.

What a sad development for the human race ....... :-C
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2019/05/26/world/asia/mount-everest-deaths.amp.html

One of the fondest memories of my life was walking through the Himalayas completely alone without another human being in sight in any direction to the horizon, and enveloped in complete silence ..... :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back