• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (16 Viewers)

Cley Church - went to visit RAR's gravestone, which I do so occasionally...

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

I've not visited for many a year but his was the first funeral I ever attended; I think I was 12 and Cley Church was packed! I've many fond memories of time my family spent with him and his terriers along the East Bank or his couple of visits for Sunday tea when, with what seemed like a few deft pencil strokes, he would produce the most brilliant sketches of whatever bird my brothers and I asked for. My Mum still has the original watercolour Lapwing he did for the Breeding Atlas (I think) which he gave to my Dad. There is also, somewhere 'at home', a tape he made called "Barry's Guide to Fair Isle" which he recorded for his good friend and former World Champion Motorcycle Grand Prix Champion the late Barry Sheene. Another tape we had, "A Year at Cley", seems to have gone missing many years ago; if anyone knows of a copy I'd love to hear it again.

Birdwise, it's been pretty quiet here of late, 1-2 Spotted Flys and 2 Stonechats recently and 4 Snow Buntings coasting NW this morning being the most noteworthy...

James

I've not visited for many a year but his was the first funeral I ever attended; I think I was 12 and Cley Church was packed! I've many fond memories of time my family spent with him and his terriers along the East Bank or his couple of visits for Sunday tea when, with what seemed like a few deft pencil strokes, he would produce the most brilliant sketches of whatever bird my brothers and I asked for. My Mum still has the original watercolour Lapwing he did for the Breeding Atlas (I think) which he gave to my Dad. There is also, somewhere 'at home', a tape he made called "Barry's Guide to Fair Isle" which he recorded for his good friend and former World Champion Motorcycle Grand Prix Champion the late Barry Sheene. Another tape we had, "A Year at Cley", seems to have gone missing many years ago; if anyone knows of a copy I'd love to hear it again.

Birdwise, it's been pretty quiet here of late, 1-2 Spotted Flys and 2 Stonechats recently and 4 Snow Buntings coasting NW this morning being the most noteworthy...

James
Hi James

I was also 12!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (oh dear giving age away now:eek!:) and yes I remember the church being packed too!!!!!

Ditto, lots of fond memories too - father used to take me on his vespa scooter to Cley and we would have tea with Richard and Mrs Dee (landlady) and walk along the East Bank etc etc. Richard also came to our house at Holme too and was very partial to my mother's chocolate buns! Whenever Richard came to Holme he would always have 3 packets of Smarties for my two younger sisters and I!

I knew that he was friends with Barry but I didn't realise that 'Barry's Guide to Fair Isle' existed!!! I would love to hear that sometime, how fascinating!!!

Will have to ask father about "A Year at Cley".

In connection with the above - does anyone know how I can get a video copied onto a DVD please?

Last edited:
Following in Harrassed Dad's footsteps of seeing birds when you are not actually birding (although this will pail in significance compared to Glossy Ibis), I was out on one of my sporadic jogs today when i came across a Snow Bunting at the foot of the Blakeney Bank just West of Cley Mill. The bird was extremely confiding and allowed approach to a few feet. Unfortunately my choice of running partner did not turn out to be particularly Snow Bunting friendly. When i asked him to go up the top of the bank in order not to flush it, he replied with ''Í'm not getting out of the way for a ****ing bird'' followed by ''you do know these paths were built for us'', - poor, dear chap when will they ever learn!

Last edited:
Penny, you can buy something like this or this and do it yourself. You could also use a company like this or this to do it for you. Just google 'how to copy video to dvd' and you'll get loads of hits. You never know, you may even get a kind offer from a techno-wiz BFer who could do it for you...

James

Blakeney resident, are you sure it wasn't a partially albino chaffinch ? They can cause some confusion.

I flogged holkham/wells to death today, managed 1-2 pied flys and the redstart that seems to have set up home behind the new plastic bench. No sign of the Y-b warbler reported early on. The tit flocks were non-existant or very quiet and slow moving compared to last week.

Excellent, hope you enjoy the new posting! Are you able to do anything about the "black-hole" effect that this area currently has regarding bird news? I fully understand that some birders refuse to release news about what they have seen, and that there is not a lot anyone can do about that, but it is getting beyond a joke in the Sandwich Bay area. Ultimately we're all in this together; if I ever find anything on my cracking inland zone 3 patch, the news goes out immediately.

Jonathan

Thanks for all the good wishes and PM's everyone.

Jonathan- I'll report everything worthy of reporting in the area. The previous warden was not a birder so i suspect he didnt know about a lot that turned up on the reserve. Ps the Fan tailed warbler is still about, a local birder saw it on Monday briefly, although I have not seen it since 7th!
Cheers,

Thank you !

Hi All

A big, big thank you - from this newish (two years or so) Midlands-based birder who spent three very enjoyable days in North Norfolk last week - to the dozen or so experienced campaigners who helped with some ID-ing queries I had (eg. Curlew Sandpiper at Cley etc).

To the one and only exception however, namely the gentleman who labelled a question I had on my mind at Blakeney Point "dumb" on his group blogsite, I would just ask for more tolerance and less cheap-shot "cleverness" when responding to politely-put, genuine queries from those far less experienced than himself.

To all other 'helpers' ...

Happy birding and thanks again

Best Regards

Andy Russell

Hi All

A big, big thank you - from this newish (two years or so) Midlands-based birder who spent three very enjoyable days in North Norfolk last week - to the dozen or so experienced campaigners who helped with some ID-ing queries I had (eg. Curlew Sandpiper at Cley etc).

To the one and only exception however, namely the gentleman who labelled a question I had on my mind at Blakeney Point "dumb" on his group blogsite, I would just ask for more tolerance and less cheap-shot "cleverness" when responding to politely-put, genuine queries from those far less experienced than himself.

Hi Andy
One thing you learn in birding is sometimes hold back on an ID of a bird until you are sure or hold back on questions to percieved 'good' birders.
Like all Hobbies there is a pecking order and Norfolk is the mecca.
Many years ago 1978 to be exact I made a real 'rick' in Daukes hide Cley which was full of top birders. I learned quickly from that mistake believe me. but sometimes you have to take it on the chin and not be too sensitive.
There is a language amongst birders whereby terms used to describe certain things differentiate experience birders from the dudes (in-exeperienced birders) one such term dudes always use to single them out is 'binos' ..use 'bins' (binoculars) and you're on track.
Its all pretty harmless really. But like any hobby or pastime all these experiences help with the learning curve and don't run before you can walk.
Many people often criticise some of the so called experienced birders for being aloof BUT you must remember most of these people are dedicated 100% to their birding above everything else. People should not be resentful of them especially if they only spend the odd morning in the month birding.
The more you practise anything the better you become.

...experienced birders from the dudes (in-experienced birders) one such term dudes always use to single them out is 'binos' ..use 'bins' (binoculars) and you're on track.
Oh dear, I joined fairly recently & used the "binos" word in a posting. The funny thing is I would never have used the word if I hadn't seen it in the Forum somewhere.
I have been interested in birds for over 50 years but my identification of less obvious species (eg warblers) is not always brilliant.

When I have bumped into knowledgeable birders alway I have found them very helpful & unpatronising

Hi All

To all other 'helpers' ...

Happy birding and thanks again

Best Regards

Andy Russell

Hi Andy,

I was also in North Norfolk for 3 days last weekend with my family and a 'Norfolk' birder family friend! I must say that everyone we met was most helpful with the odd ID needed, especially so one of the gentleman RSPB volunteers at Titchwell! I reckon 97% of the time your instincts tell you who will be helpful or not,wherever you are birding! At the end of the day each and everyone one of us are learning, never stops does it?
,You sound as though you thoroughly enjoyed your time spent in North Norfolk as much as we all did, which is what it is all about!:t:

Attachments

• Burnham Overy Saithe. [].JPG
    Burnham Overy Saithe. [].JPG
    88.2 KB · Views: 56
  • Titchwell [].JPG
    Titchwell [].JPG
    68.2 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
Hi,
Just thought I'd say thanks to all the norfolk birders I have met and who have helped me enjoy the past 3 years in the county. Having spent the past 3 years with the RSPB at Titchwell and in the Broads I have finally got a full time post as Warden of Sandwich and Pegwell Bay in Kent with the wildlife trust. (Fan-tailed Warbler on the first day cant be bad!)
So thanks for good birds and great company to all those who know me, I'll be back!

Hi Ben,
Glad to hear you are getting some good birds in Kent, I enjoyed my time on the Bittern surveys- it was good to see the final report giving a better result than expected.Good luck with your new job, Ron.

Missing...

Just viewed this on EDP24; keep your eyes peeled particularly if you're in the Acle area.

These embers have been rekindled too it seems...

James

Last edited:
Spotted Crake at Cley

Thanks to the persistence of the two "amateur" birders who first saw this on sunday and have been back every night since. It popped out at 4.30 this afternoon and showed well on and off close to the hide. Not great for the photographers but it looked good in my bins !!

They had told the warden what they had seen but felt they weren't 100% believed, which is fair enough. But good on them for keeping at it

It was also photographed this morning around 9am but the chap only checked his camera at lunchtime and realised what he'd seen !

Who needs american cranes, cuckoos and albatrosses. Its all happening right here in Norfolk!

Spent the day pottering down in the Waverney Valley today, main reason for the visit was to retrace part of a cycling route I did a few years ago and see the old windmill at Billingford again....nothing too outstanding but did flush a Little Egret feeding by the Hoxne Weir/bridge and get an overhead Common Buzzard, the area seems to hold good numbers of these as I counted five individuals in two groups in the Shimpling/Burston/Scole and Tivetshall area recently and seen singles on previous visits.

Basically followed the Angles Way between Billingford and Thorpe Abbots, nice bit of habitat and makes for a good walk on a sunny day. Easy to imagine a local or two spending the last of the day watching the Barn Owls hunting over the marsh and Kingfishers zipping up and down the river...maybe, maybe not!!!

Matt

Attachments

• billingford 014 (Custom).jpg
    billingford 014 (Custom).jpg
    54 KB · Views: 54
  • billingford 030 (Custom).jpg
    billingford 030 (Custom).jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 52
  • billingford 058 (Custom).jpg
    billingford 058 (Custom).jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 42
  • billingford 068 (Custom).jpg
    billingford 068 (Custom).jpg
    110 KB · Views: 43
Horrible, Horrible Day:C:-C:C:-C - rubbish holiday, will be glad to get back to work!

Today's Plan was to go into town to do some banking, then birding/looking for spotted crake etc straight after. Birding did not happen, because I have written my lovely little coupe off, sooooooooooo sad. All because of some STUPID IDIOT:C who decided to turn off/not signal and everyone in queue of traffic had to break hard and unfortunately I went into the back of someone else's car - their car looks completely undamaged to me, but mine looks like its been in a major accident, taken most of day to sort. No one was hurt. Insurer's garage collecting Monday. The only good news is its still driveable and I am allowed to (checked with my local garage and ins. company). So I will be hard core birding tomorrow. Wish I gone to Orkney now!!! From Monday will have no car, so thats the end of my surfbirds county list!!! So get ready for lots of rares turning up next week!!! My local garage said its definately looks like a write off and if it is, my insurers do not supply a courtesy car!!! only if its repairable, so that means no car until I get money from insurers AND have gone out to buy another car - not a happy bunny AT ALL.:C:-C

Sad Penny:-C

P.S. Any garage owners out there? - I LOVE MY CAR and want the same one again! - Hyundai Coupe 1600 in blue please:t:

Last edited:
Tuesday - hardly worth posting really but....

Started off at the House on the Hill at Blakeney and the public footpath opposite, nothing of note apart from a kestrel and a few blue tits, great tits. Although I did notice a good number of house martins flying low, west.

Yes there was a huge movement of House Martins taking place along the coast on Tuesday morning with a few thousand birds streaming along the coast up until c11.30.

Can't remember seeing such a large scale movement before with groups of up to 100 birds coming through at a time, a really remarkable and spectacular passage.

Nothing else to report locally as have been up to bonny Scotland this week, and for anyone interested pics attached of the Sandhill and a very cute Red Squirrel at Loch Garten on the way home.

Simon

Attachments

• Sandhill1.jpg
    Sandhill1.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 63
  • RedSquirrel1.jpg
    RedSquirrel1.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 41
Glad you latched on to the H.Martins Simon, shame i wasnt able to see more of the movement. Looks like the quiet weather conditions will continue for a while so not so good for the birder but good for the birds. This weekend is the first of 3 this autumn that the Yahoo vismig group are trying to get co-ordinated counts of diurnal migrants across the country. Unfortunately i have a feeling it will be slow going, certainly here anyway. Attached is a gratuitous pic of the Cley Phalarope from yesterday morning.

Attachments

• DSC07143.JPG
    DSC07143.JPG
    169.8 KB · Views: 66
Yet another one who has just come back from Norfolk after spending 5 days over there. It's not often you'll hear me say the weather was 'too nice' but as you're all fully aware a bit of east wind and some rain would certainly have helped ground some scarce migrants. Not disappointed though as we got some good stuff.

Monday

Holme first thing monday morning produced 1000's of Waders, mainly Knot and I certainly wouldn't dispute the figure of 74'000 that was on the sightings board at the NOA. c6 Stonechats were in the dunes and a single Whinchat just past the hut by the rough track.
Next stop Titchwell and of note on the reserve was 3 Little Stints, a bit of sea watching and a Red Necked Grebe was the obvious highlight, also good numbers of Common Scoter, c 20 Eiders and a juv female Peregrine on the beach.

Tuesday

Off to Snettisham this morning to witness the high tide spectacle. Not as impressive as previous years but still an awesome sight. Regarding the House Martin movement. We also saw several hundred moving through and a regular cley birder who we bumped into on the wednesday said that there had been 2'000 in an hour, or 2'000 an hour I'm not sure. Back to tuesday and after Snettisham we again went to Titchwell where we had 5 Marsh Harriers, 2 Red Throat Divers and a Rock Pipit on the beach. A quick visit to Holme before dusk produced a Barn Owl.

Wednesday

Drove down to Cley and started off on the east bank where we had two Stonechats and impressive numbers of Bearded Tits. A juv Curlew Sand was on Arnold's Marsh together with several Spot Reds and Greenshanks. Done a bit of seawatching and had a single Diver sp east, 2 female Common Scoter and 29 Pink Feet west with a single Barnacle Goose. The highlight for us was when we was walking back towards the east bank and CliveA saw a flock of 25 Snow Buntings. 2 separated from the flock but 23 remained and gave us good views around the Arnold's Marsh area. Popped in to Wells Woods on the way back but got very little apart from a few Willow/Chiffs.

Thursday

Had a walk through the dunes and the paddocks at Holme early today and had 3 Stonechats, 2 Green Woodpeckers, 2 male Blackcaps and a Whitethroat. On the sea an Auk sp and a Diver sp. Snettisham later in the day and three Whinchats were around the last hide area. From the hide itself was 5 Greenshanks and several Spot Reds. On the path back towards the car and we got a single Stonechat. A bit more action on a seawatch later in the day at Titchwell. 12+ 'Bonxies', 5 Arctic Skuas and at least 4 Manx Shearwaters. Also 2 to 3 Red Throat Divers.

Friday

At Holme first thing and again plenty of Waders on beach. Also a Sparrowhawk shot past us heading west. In the paddocks was 2 Whitethroats and a Blackcap. Our last bit of seawatching at Titchwell produced yet more 'Bonxies', several Arctics including a pale and dark morph together. A few more Manx Shearwaters and more Red Throat Divers. 5 Snow Buntings were on the beach. A single Brent Goose flew west.

112 species in total but with rain and easterlies then who knows what it could have been.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back