• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Water Rail knack? (1 Viewer)

alexcropper83

Is there a knack to finding water rails? I've been tearing my hair out trying to find a couple that have been at my local patch this week. I see other more experienced birders seem to find them with no trouble at all. Is it a subtle movement in the reeds or just more luck?

Cheers, Alex

Is there a knack to finding water rails? I've been tearing my hair out trying to find a couple that have been at my local patch this week. I see other more experienced birders seem to find them with no trouble at all. Is it a subtle movement in the reeds or just more luck?

Cheers, Alex
Knowing their calls, so you at least know the direction to look ( within 90 degree's )
Being quiet and still, patience, and luck. Lots and lots of luck!

Unless you go to somewhere where they hang out under feeders, like at my local patch!

Attachments

• DSC03487_cr.jpg
    DSC03487_cr.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:
Possibly a bit late in the year, but if you know where they live (having heard them, or others having seen them) then visit those locations on very cold winter days. When the water freezes they'll come out of their reedy hiding places and can be easily seen.

A few years back I took a friend to WWT Arundel. I'd told her me may stand a chance of seeing a Water Rail as everything was frozen and that we'd be very lucky if we did see one as they're normally so shy and secretive. The place was crawling with them. Every footpath had a couple of Water Rails, all of whom ignored the people. One walked across my boot as we were watching another. My reputation as a semi-expert was more than slightly tarnished that day. Now she gets the darn things turning up in her back garden.

A few years back I took a friend to WWT Arundel. I'd told her me may stand a chance of seeing a Water Rail as everything was frozen and that we'd be very lucky if we did see one as they're normally so shy and secretive. The place was crawling with them. Every footpath had a couple of Water Rails, all of whom ignored the people. One walked across my boot as we were watching another. My reputation as a semi-expert was more than slightly tarnished that day. Now she gets the darn things turning up in her back garden.

Almost my experience with them at Arundel this winter for me. Not quite that many, but they do get a few that get very used to humans there and just seem to be oblivious to us. Was great!

If you ever cross the Pennines in winter stake out the feeders at Potteric Carr in South Yorks during the winter and you're guaranteed stunning views with a little patience. There are many other sites near me that have water rail, but they're buggers to see in all but the harshest weather, and if you can find somewhere where they're attracted to feeding stations it basically does the work for you.

I'm sure there's some locations nearer you that others will know.

my advice is also to go to potteric carr when theres a hard freeze and look at the feeders.

the other option is 40 years of staring at a reed bed hoping one might toddle out.

Is there a knack to finding water rails?.......................................I see other more experienced birders seem to find them with no trouble at all.

Are these other birders seeing them, or just reporting them as being there?

They may well be "heard only".

As you live in Cheshire, try Inner Marsh Farm, one of my old stomping grounds, usually stonking views to be had there. The bunting hide at Pennington is good too, but as someone has already pointed out, perhaps a little late in the year. Listen for the sound like a piglet having its goolies scrunched.

Cheers, Alex

Its a combination of luck and skill i'm afraid. Knowing where to look but also standing and waiting for them to appear. The call is a pig like squeal. I've sent you a PM.

Possibly a bit late in the year, but if you know where they live (having heard them, or others having seen them) then visit those locations on very cold winter days. When the water freezes they'll come out of their reedy hiding places and can be easily seen.

The colder weather tends to make it easier for us to see them.

Are these other birders seeing them, or just reporting them as being there?

They may well be "heard only".

Both records are sight records. Funny although I see the birds at this site (where it is a rarity), I rarely hear them calling.

As you live in Cheshire, try Inner Marsh Farm, one of my old stomping grounds, usually stonking views to be had there.

Would agree with IMF at the end of last summer had several birds right in front of the hide and got my best ever photos of Water Rail.

CB

Listen for the sound like a piglet having its goolies scrunched.

;)

I've only ever had three sightings despite spending a good amount of time in areas where they breed. Two of those were flushed birds in flight too.

Sitting quietly and unobtrusively beside a reedbed with extensive muddy fringes is probably your best bet. All the birds Ive seen have been on the edges of reedbeds though in two cases they obviously saw me before I saw them. Just keep visiting marshy places and you'll come across one eventually.

Unless there is a big freeze or they appear under feeders as other posters have said.
Good luck.

Hi,

I spent many hours trying to see them. Just tips:

-using i*** is a sure way, but I will not advertise using the darned thing for those who I am unsure know how to deal with it. Especially if it is area which sees disturbance of regular birders.
- as others said, freeze-up is the best, when they will run around unfrozen pools outside the cover. I saw three at the same pool this winter.
- otherwise, try large mudflats or wet sand bordering reedbeds. Sort of drained fishponds, overgrown estuaries, sewage farms, drained reservoirs etc. Water rails (and crakes, if you are lucky) will walk out from reeds on the mud. Often scoping helps.
-listen to calls, especially repeated short metallic alarm call 'pik!' in the reeds just near mud. Sooner or later the darned thing will be seen moving behind reeds.
-watch over wide muddy area with your bins, or look behind the first line of reeds.
-rails will walk right to your feet if you are absolutely immobile. They will however run blindly into reeds at any movement or sound, even eg. Snipe landing nearby. Also, I never seen one crossing dry path between reedbeds.

- One don't: don't waste time on staring where ditches cut reedbeds, or reedbeds border deeper water. Rails never show up there, even if they call just a meter away.

Last edited:
Hi,

-listen to calls, especially repeated short metallic alarm call 'pik!' in the reeds just near mud. Sooner or later the darned thing will be seen moving behind reeds.

I always thought of these as contact calls rather than alarm calls!

Hi,

Also, I never seen one crossing dry path between reedbeds.

They do this quite freqently at my local patch, also they go into a waterlogged meadow and explore under brambles quite often too.

"I've been tearing my hair out trying to find a couple that have been at my local patch this week"

Finding out exactly where they have been seen might help. If they are resident at your patch then just keep scanning the reed margins on a regular basis - i.e. a couple of times each visit. Eventually you'll catch one wandering along the edge. Try a visit in the evening as water rail activity often picks up then.

It seems you have to be a bit lucky to see one of these elusive little critters. There appears to be no particular method in enticing them out to show themselves in my experience. Long cold snaps of weather often bring them out into the open more. They are more often heard than seen. On my local patch I hear them regularly in the bogs, but in 8 years of living here I have only had 4 sightings.

Si.

The two times I've seen them it's been purely down to luck - first time a couple drew my attention to a Mink in a ditch and looking along the ditch we saw a Water Rail skulking in the reeds, second time I was in a hide at Two Tree Island with a friend who'd taken me to see the place for the first time. He suggested I might want to have a look in the other hide while he counted birds and in the other hide a Rail came out of the reeds for a little while. I didn't hear calls either time.

There do seem to be places that you can go to greatly increase your chances as already said so it's really down to spending some quality time visiting those places until you get lucky.

Just a postscript. I saw one yesterday. All i had to do was travel to vane farm in scotland to volunteer, trapse through a marsh flushing snipe whilst wearing chest waders and make sure the only bird you succesfully flush is a water rail! So i got the hard middle of summer sighting out the way, now for winter.

I got my first one this week at Baron's Haugh. Its a regular spot for them, but its taken my 3 years!! Thanks to the guy with the scope and the keen eye.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back